• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners trade deadline/rumors thread

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not a rebuild because it is doing business the right way and the way it should be done from the start. To say rebuild like you have never tried it before is insane. So what Dipoto and others should say is that we are going to do it the right way from here on out even though we have shown no promise of ever doing it the right way.

The verbiage is just to satisfy the fans and keep them off your GM's back for 2 to 3 more years before pressure to win starts up again. It is great help preservation, but it is still the right and only way to do it. It isn't new nor inventive.
Over the last couple of years it has been an almost complete teardown of the roster, and a strong commitment to younger prospects. The Ms have never fully committed to such a movement completely.

Call it whatever you want to, the end result is the same regardless of the semantics of the word "rebuild". Personally, I call it a "rebuild" because there is no other specific term to better describe how management has approached.

Lol @ you calling it "insane" for it to be referred to as a "rebuild" because it the correct way to do things. Again, I've watched the Ms for over 40 years now and they have NEVER fully committed to the youth movement and emphasized their development over veteran players in the manner current management has approached it.

Your comment "So what Dipoto and others should say is that we are going to do it the right way from here on out even though we have shown no promise of ever doing it the right way." is also strange as it implies that Dipoto and Servaise are somehow responsible for the methods and moves that previous management executed?? Again, what Dipoto is doing now has been DIFFERENT than ANY of the past approaches to building the team, which in my mind and the minds of many others justifies the use of the word "rebuild" to describe the approach.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the last couple of years it has been an almost complete teardown of the roster, and a strong commitment to younger prospects. The Ms have never fully committed to such a movement completely.

Call it whatever you want to, the end result is the same regardless of the semantics of the word "rebuild". Personally, I call it a "rebuild" because there is no other specific term to better describe how management has approached.

Lol @ you calling it "insane" for it to be referred to as a "rebuild" because it the correct way to do things. Again, I've watched the Ms for over 40 years now and they have NEVER fully committed to the youth movement and emphasized their development over veteran players in the manner current management has approached it.

Your comment "So what Dipoto and others should say is that we are going to do it the right way from here on out even though we have shown no promise of ever doing it the right way." is also strange as it implies that Dipoto and Servaise are somehow responsible for the methods and moves that previous management executed?? Again, what Dipoto is doing now has been DIFFERENT than ANY of the past approaches to building the team, which in my mind and the minds of many others justifies the use of the word "rebuild" to describe the approach.
This ownership group that hired Jerry has been minority owners since the last sale. And if Jerry knows the path for the “right way” then he obviously sucks at his job because he went a different route when he took the job. So factually yes you can say Dipoto and Servais are responsible for the failed execution of the organization.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i joined a fantasy baseball league...to see if i would be any good at it....at fantrax..but..i joined the draft..and my draft position was28..of 30
so i was missing a lot of good players..28..of them..the next rounds i pick 3rd so i would get 2 close together..i had ideas of drafting a lot different guys than i ended up with

my first choice was
Brandon Woodruff..
i had missed so many..of the best one,,but there was nothing i could do about it as i whatched..a lot of good players come off the board
my 2nd pick was
Corey Seager...
i had not planned to pick him..but he was the best player..at that spot..
my next pick was salvador perez,,a catcher..that i had planned on drafting,,,.so ok..but that is the last guy i got that i had panned on

i wanted another pitcher...but the guys i wanted would go right before my pick every time..so i ended up picking players i knew
haniger next
J.P crawford next
chris taylor next..by this time i was missing out on just a
lot of pitchers...i was aye yi ying myself..so next..i took
logan Gilbert
Ty France
Jesus Aguilar
MIA (1B
Yusei Kikuch
Adam Frazier
Wade Miley
Chris Flexen
Jonathan India
Josh Harrison..fro wash..now oakland
Brett Gardner.
which i have already waived at this point for a better otfteild guy
Shed Long Jr.
disabledListSmall.png
playerNewsHotSm.png
who is on my I.R..
Wade LeBlanc
Paul Sewald
SEA (R
Justus Sheffield
Kendall Graveman
HOU (RP)
Jake Fraley
playerNewsHotSm.png

SEA (L
Anthony Misiewicz
SEA (RP)
Erik Swanso
Matt Brash
minorsSmall.png

SEA (S
Mike Zunino
TB (C)
Cal Raleigh
SEA (C)
Kolby Allard
TEX (SP)
Justin Dunn
disabledListSmall.png

SEA (S
Levi Stoudt
minorsSmall.png

SEA (
there is more but this is enough to...make my point...i ended up with maney mariners guys..and the projection right now is i will 2nd...going into the playoffs..after the 1st period..i lead..the whole league............go figure

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so dont be to harsh..on what the mariners..have right ..noiw..they are a good team..with upside...ooooozzzing..and you will finnally see

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This ownership group that hired Jerry has been minority owners since the last sale. And if Jerry knows the path for the “right way” then he obviously sucks at his job because he went a different route when he took the job. So factually yes you can say Dipoto and Servais are responsible for the failed execution of the organization.
Fair enough points, but he obviously shifted his approach to "rebuild" (or whatever you want to call it) and they had been relatively successful before that. In fact in the 40+ year history of the Ms, it could easily be argued that the Dipoto/Servais leadership has been one of the more successful managements in the clubs history, even with the intentional "bottoming out" last year.

I don't think Dipoto "sucks at his job" but I fully understand the frustration of being a Mariners' fan. I just feel that staying the course to sort out the roster potential is a good move, and trading prospects this year for a run at a possible 2nd wild card spot would be premature. Next year you can have a better evaluation of roster prospects, and can look into making moves as is necessary to improve the major league team.

I get that the "next year" attitude wears thin with fans after all of these years. But I'm crossing my fingers that this could pay off with an extended run of being a contending team instead of going all in on a single season. @ulmax gets it!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough points, but he obviously shifted his approach to "rebuild" (or whatever you want to call it) and they had been relatively successful before that. In fact in the 40+ year history of the Ms, it could easily be argued that the Dipoto/Servais leadership has been one of the more successful managements in the clubs history, even with the intentional "bottoming out" last year.

I don't think Dipoto "sucks at his job" but I fully understand the frustration of being a Mariners' fan. I just feel that staying the course to sort out the roster potential is a good move, and trading prospects this year for a run at a possible 2nd wild card spot would be premature. Next year you can have a better evaluation of roster prospects, and can look into making moves as is necessary to improve the major league team.

I get that the "next year" attitude wears thin with fans after all of these years. But I'm crossing my fingers that this could pay off with an extended run of being a contending team instead of going all in on a single season. @ulmax gets it!
Not trying to be a dick but what metric could you use to say Dipoto’s reign has been more successful than Gillick, Woodward, Jack Z or Bavasi?

I guess one of my issues with this deadline is the stay the course remarks. Which I was saying on a different comment those IMO make it seems like those who didn’t like the trades wanted to tear down the farm system. Problem is because of this deadline as @SeattleCoug had coined it the goalposts have moved to next years deadline because of what you stated is they have to evaluate rookies. This deadline gives them not spending a penny or make a trade this off-season an excuse of staying the course because they have to see Hancock, Kirby and Julio. And how White, Lewis, Munoz and Giles come back from injury. So yeah the Graveman trade started my frustration but the more and more I talked about it and started to understand the other side, the more and more I realize Jerry has boxed us fans into “staying the course” when winning isn’t the goal, improvement is.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to be a dick but what metric could you use to say Dipoto’s reign has been more successful than Gillick, Woodward, Jack Z or Bavasi?

I guess one of my issues with this deadline is the stay the course remarks. Which I was saying on a different comment those IMO make it seems like those who didn’t like the trades wanted to tear down the farm system. Problem is because of this deadline as @SeattleCoug had coined it the goalposts have moved to next years deadline because of what you stated is they have to evaluate rookies. This deadline gives them not spending a penny or make a trade this off-season an excuse of staying the course because they have to see Hancock, Kirby and Julio. And how White, Lewis, Munoz and Giles come back from injury. So yeah the Graveman trade started my frustration but the more and more I talked about it and started to understand the other side, the more and more I realize Jerry has boxed us fans into “staying the course” when winning isn’t the goal, improvement is.
yes i .know...what you are taking about...and ..i have been..watching the mariner's..sense i think it was 1976..and yes..i have seen all thoughs gms come and go..and what is different now...
#1..they have the money..for 3 free agents...
an ace
this is the list so far...
PLAYER (69)POS.AGEBATSTHROWSTEAM2021 SALARYMARKET VALUE (AAV)
Zack GreinkeSP38RRHOU$35,000,000$28,685,320
Trevor BauerSP31LAD$35,333,333-
Justin VerlanderSP39RRHOU$33,000,000-
Clayton KershawSP34LLLAD$31,000,000$34,302,378
Max ScherzerSP37RRLAD$34,603,480$29,054,803
Johnny CuetoSP36SF$22,000,000-
Marcus StromanSP31RRNYM$18,900,000$15,661,501
Kevin GausmanSP31LRSF$18,900,000
i would take

gausman
scherzer
grenkie
or
bauer
but take your pick...as far as i know..they are all UFA..no draft comp....these 2 guys are the other guys they need

Corey SeagerSS28LRLAD$13,750,000$31,319,595

Chris Taylor2B31RRLAD$7,800,000
as 2B..and utility..trading moore
and taylor plays..lf/CF
then they have toro...so that 2b/3b..is takin care of

the mariners can afford...to pay big..on 3 guys..and win..them...and for the ace..they can miss a couple times...but not every time
if lewis is back...he could..CF/ LF..or DH..and will provide some offence the mariners do not have now...
white does not have to 1B..he can be at tacoma
and france ...and bauer can handle it ..or even torrens

if no lewis..then ya have to go get free agent
Nelson Cruz..which would add one more free agent..but it is still...ok

then extend..kyle seager..at 3b

just for fun..and im not saying this is my pick..i want the mariners to pick the best one
but lets say..it is ..

Kevin Gausman...he is the youngest..R/R
James Paxton 44 I...L/L.........................of coarse you will have to give pax a new contract...performance based..but hey..he is coming off T.J.
Logan Gilbert 36...R/R
Yusei Kikuchi 18.........L/L
Chris Flexen 77........R/R
Marco Gonzales 7...L/L
in this 6 man rotation it does..not matter to much where guys are in the rotation

Justin Dunn 35 IL-10
Justus Sheffield 33 IL-10
that is 8..and they should start stacking tacoma..st pitching and they have..so thoughs 8 will work`

if you have a line up card..add corey seager..at 2B..and taylor..at LF..with kelenic..and trammell..at tacoma..or maybe 1 of them up

this is a playoff team...with those additions..............

in this seario..the mariners go to the playoffs..the only question then left..is do they go to the series

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bull pen..arkansas...travelers..they all seem....ready..to move up
Arkansas Travelers Logo

PLAYERTEAMWL
ERA
GGSCGSHOSVSVOIPHRERHRHBBBSOWHIPAVG
HoldenLaws
P
ARK000.002000005.030001030.60.167
StevenMoyers
P
ARK211.32122000027.11544018210.84.167
MoisesGomez
P
ARK211.42200000025.12064257251.07.225
DarinGillies
P
ARK201.9322000101023.114652112301.11.175
LeonHunter
P
ARK101.932000004.221100260.86.133
CollinKober
P
ARK302.00220001227.021662511381.19.208
IanMcKinney
P
ARK302.1866100033.021882115501.09.179

and even though

MattBrash

P
ARK013.0733000014.21355306211.30.220
just got there ..and has only pitched 3 games.( started).he seems nearly ready as well

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and prob both of these guys are ready as well...lolol..that would fill tacoma up
TylerHerb
P
ARK243.461010100052.0522020748451.15.263
RayKerr
P
ARK103.54180002520.11688219311.23.216
herb just a normal starter
kerr is spot start..bull pen

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at modesto
EmersonHancock
P
EVE202.3088000027.1171070212271.06.179
seems ready...as well as...

GeorgeKirby

P
EVE422.5688000038.2321511118501.03.222
and these guys..a tall order....but they ready.....

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i know..they only need..the 3 guys i said...but with this bull pen..they could use graveman as well....next year......

Ken Giles 58....(cl)
Kendall Graveman 31
Diego Castillo 6
Anthony Misiewicz 38...L/L
Paul Sewald 37
Drew Steckenrider 16
Casey Sadler 65
Justin Dunn 35
Justus Sheffield 33..L/L
Joe Smith 43

and dont worrie..they would need them ...all before they were done...

at tacoma
Andrés Muñoz 54 (cl)
Joey Gerber 59
Aaron Fletcher 41...L/L
Yohan Ramirez 55
Wyatt Mills 40

Robert Dugger 30
Erik Swanson 50
Ljay Newsome 74

rot taion
DarrenMcCaughan

IanMcKinney...................L/L
PennMurfee

MattBrash
P
RyanWeber...weber is a good pitcher..they would prob resign..one more time..if he .....wanted

and i will add..

TylerHerb
P
RayKerr

plus the 5 bull pen guys i said should move up

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one thing i did notice is that..all the guys above are in there 30s....i know..seattle is best spot for paxton..so..he will prob sign a ...fair deal..but the mariners could get out bid for kikuchi...or maybe an extention..for him as well...seeing as covid put the mariners behind..by a year..on contracts
at the very least...
but the club..has an optin..they will prob pick up...then he is a mariners till......FREE AGENT:2026 / UFA
same with seager...has an option..that i expect the club to pick up as well

but it seems the mariners will have at least some trade material..coming from bull pen guys..who..would be added..to a trade..of a position guy or starter
there maybe one of those this off season..but i expect..mostly..free agents

Last edited:

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rather sadly, based solely in winning % Dipoto is the Mariners' 2nd most successful GM. He is 406-410 with a 0.498%. Only the Gillick with the 393-255, 0.606% is ahead of him.
Servais is essentially the same in the manager position, but McClendon has a better win %, so Servais is 3rd overall.
The two (Dipoto and Servais) have overseen the 6th and 9th best seasons in their 45 year history and are on pace for the 7th or 8th best this year. Not to bad considering the top 4 years are all Gillick-Piniella.
They have managed these numbers by using veteran loaded teams the first 3 years, then essentially tanking the last 2, and this year are playing at a very competitive rate in a year where the over-under was 68-70 wins.

It is admitably rather low hanging fruit and fans of a "normal" franchise would chuckle at these numbers but this is the Mariners. We didn't even have a winning season until year 15 of the franchise, and haven't seen the playoffs since before recent college grads were born.

I'm not saying they are great or anything. I am saying that they currently seem to be doing pretty damn well, particularly considering the circumstances, so I personally will give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise via record.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather sadly, based solely in winning % Dipoto is the Mariners' 2nd most successful GM. He is 406-410 with a 0.498%. Only the Gillick with the 393-255, 0.606% is ahead of him.
Servais is essentially the same in the manager position, but McClendon has a better win %, so Servais is 3rd overall.
The two (Dipoto and Servais) have overseen the 6th and 9th best seasons in their 45 year history and are on pace for the 7th or 8th best this year. Not to bad considering the top 4 years are all Gillick-Piniella.
They have managed these numbers by using veteran loaded teams the first 3 years, then essentially tanking the last 2, and this year are playing at a very competitive rate in a year where the over-under was 68-70 wins.

It is admitably rather low hanging fruit and fans of a "normal" franchise would chuckle at these numbers but this is the Mariners. We didn't even have a winning season until year 15 of the franchise, and haven't seen the playoffs since before recent college grads were born.

I'm not saying they are great or anything. I am saying that they currently seem to be doing pretty damn well, particularly considering the circumstances, so I personally will give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise vit

that was a good read............

yeah..when the mariners are having ...probs...i look for..solutions';...that is how i knew..of toro...cuz seager was thought to be a prob...by many
so..i would look for..possible....trades..that would help them....in the minors..but what i found is that..sager..was the 3rd best defencive 3 base
in the league
.and.. (this was i think..just after.. he signed..his last contract)..and i knew he was a gold glove..but sager..at the time...was prob
top 10..in offence as well.
..so that..was a head scratcher..for me..but what..it really was...is this...there was just not that many..really good
offencive 3b..guys..who could play defence..as well..and..sense that was..the case..

the league...as a whole..would move those..players..who could not defend..to DH..or..outfield..or 1b..so..i stopped looking..for a solution..
cuz seager..had his new contract...and i had looked around enough..to realize that..seager was pritty darn....goood..just not..proto...typical...
he can hit HRS and defend..but cant always..hit..for..ave....but in todays game...not many...3B..guys..can do it all...and more...have ..hit for ave probs
worse than seagers
but.. yeah..in that search i had come across...toro...and new ithe mariners chances....of being able to trade for him was low...cuz...houston...does not...want to trade....with seatle...no team wants to..give there...rival...the piece they need....but in this case...it is..take a piece..from each side..so

for houston...toro..is a bench guy...and gaveman...is a way..usable..late innings...option..for when it gets tough..in the playoffs....a stopper...if you will
so in this case..they waned that..enough..to trade...with seatle

Last edited:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not saying they are great or anything. I am saying that they currently seem to be doing pretty damn well, particularly considering the circumstances, so I personally will give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise via record.
Winning percentage IMO isn’t an indicator. Bavasi and Jack Z both came closer to a playoff berth (granted they had historic lows) and Woody built 3 of the 4 playoff appearances they have ever had. I give Gillick zero credit for 2000, 2001 I do give him credit but as anyone who knows me knows I put the blame squarely on Gillick for the drought they had through first decade of this century. My dislike is more for Dipoto than Servais. Servais is just a dude IMO, not very good at handling a staff but nothing saying he is a good or bad manager. Jerry designates who is playing and who isn’t playing.

Had Jerry not failed miserably at his vision of the franchise I would cut him slack or give him the benefit of the doubt.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning percentage IMO isn’t an indicator. Bavasi and Jack Z both came closer to a playoff berth (granted they had historic lows) and Woody built 3 of the 4 playoff appearances they have ever had. I give Gillick zero credit for 2000, 2001 I do give him credit but as anyone who knows me knows I put the blame squarely on Gillick for the drought they had through first decade of this century. My dislike is more for Dipoto than Servais. Servais is just a dude IMO, not very good at handling a staff but nothing saying he is a good or bad manager. Jerry designates who is playing and who isn’t playing.

Had Jerry not failed miserably at his vision of the franchise I would cut him slack or give him the benefit of the doubt.
i understand...that everyone..thinks..that the mariners..could..go one more year..and try..for..the playoffs...but they had multiple..problems...under the surface.....
..cano...prob....which..reared..its ugly head..with an 80...game suspension...was just part..of a bigger..prob..of no rotation...and at that time

it did not seem..there was any..hope...on the horizon....of any pitching help coming from the minors...this is maybe...2 years..after..dipoto took over..
the mariners where...nearing there limit...as far as money goes for...free agents..i cant remember exactly...but it was up close to 160 or..180..mil..or something like that... by the time..the end of the year..came around..so...yes.....they could have tried..to go to the playoffs..1 or2 more years...but

they already knew....they could not maintain...so they...did the..... responsable..thing..to do...reorganize..the organization...and with a new owner..

it usually happens..right at the beginning...when there is a new owner..

.but...they wanted to...see..if they could go to the playoffs..first...well..we see now...that..they could not..and houston and oakland..were..just at the beginning..of there...winning cycles...where...now houston is close to the..end...for..the same reason..seattle was ...there minors..is gitting thin....

and although they .try..to insert...there new talent...not every..one works out..and the players..they went to the series with..are..gitting old..and the rotation..is old..and half gone..even though they where..able..to snatch up Zack Greinke 21..the only other..one left is Lance McCullers Jr. 43 and
soon..cuz he is 37..Zack Greinke 21..will be done as well

but..seattle..now..has the bull by the horns..with..only a..few..free agents needed..and minors..pitching..on...the way...lololol...dog leg..doing a paddle..lololol..oohhh that itch..was a big one...wwhhoo

that..is where..seattle is now...it has to look...very..ugly...from houstons..and oaklands...point of view...cuz..they can see...the hidius..mariner..monster
growing...ever..more...ominous..in there..direction..

all shall be ...renewed...in its time...until...the next cycle....begins...lolol...or..not..lolol

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Jerry was originally hired to make the current situation work and a playoff team and he couldn't do that in 3 years. Is that his fault, well i guess technically yes but I think it's somewhat crazy to hire a GM with that goal anyway unless you are gonna give him resources to bring in more players. He didn't add any big contracts during that time. Obviously if the Dodgers or Yankees are hiring a GM, they expect winning right away and give the GM the means to bring people in.

Ownership could have easily canned him after 2018 but it seems like they really wait until they absolutely have to make those moves. (See Bavasi, Jack Z firings). With this situation they felt it was probably too soon so gave him a chance at the rebuild. Now that they did they really need to see it through to give the team the best chance. I think Dipoto should get two more years assuming they let him spend a little this offseason. That will give us time to see if these young guys progress and if there are any bad contracts given like Carlos Silva or Chone Figgins. Once that happens you are out of excuses and can move on.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Jerry was originally hired to make the current situation work and a playoff team and he couldn't do that in 3 years. Is that his fault, well i guess technically yes but I think it's somewhat crazy to hire a GM with that goal anyway unless you are gonna give him resources to bring in more players. He didn't add any big contracts during that time. Obviously if the Dodgers or Yankees are hiring a GM, they expect winning right away and give the GM the means to bring people in.

Ownership could have easily canned him after 2018 but it seems like they really wait until they absolutely have to make those moves. (See Bavasi, Jack Z firings). With this situation they felt it was probably too soon so gave him a chance at the rebuild. Now that they did they really need to see it through to give the team the best chance. I think Dipoto should get two more years assuming they let him spend a little this offseason. That will give us time to see if these young guys progress and if there are any bad contracts given like Carlos Silva or Chone Figgins. Once that happens you are out of excuses and can move on.
Well that kind of is the problem with my dislike for Dipoto. Is he should be able to see his rebuild through. Him being a dick and being a terrible public speaker isn’t grounds for firing him at all. I just don’t give him any benefit of the doubt because we heard the this is his vision when he got his extension and then they immediately blew a playoff shot.