• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Trade Deadline

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, off the top of my head:

Cueto
McGee
Vogelsong
Torres
Casilla
RayRay
Butler
Brenly
Panda
Bonds
Lee
Chapman
Hicks
Soler
Huff

But yeah, you do have a point
I believe a few of these were bargain bin pickups (Vogelsong, Torres, Casilla, Huff). Others were not free agents when acquired (Ramirez was a mid season trade, Panda was an international amateur signing). But yes, you are correct, free agents have signed with the Giants in the past 40 years.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe a few of these were bargain bin pickups (Vogelsong, Torres, Casilla, Huff). Others were not free agents when acquired (Ramirez was a mid season trade, Panda was an international amateur signing). But yes, you are correct, free agents have signed with the Giants in the past 40 years.
Ramirez not on the list; Panda was a FA.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramirez not on the list; Panda was a FA.
I thought you were talking about Ramirez when you listed RayRay. You'll have to remind who that is.

As for Panda's return - another bargain bin signing. Not sure any of those help your argument.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt that was the calculus, at least not directly.

There is a white flag effect that they are probably more concerned with. could be the image takes too much of a hit in their estimation if we had dealt Snelk for Holliday. Tells potential FAs "hey, we might pay you to come here but we'll ship you out if we struggle." Although, we did it with Soler, so....
Perhaps Snell let the organization know he likes it here, won't bolt? Possible anyway with Melvin and the park

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cueto
McGee
Vogelsong
Torres
Casilla
RayRay
Butler
Brenly
Panda
Bonds
Lee
Chapman
Hicks
Soler
Huff

How can you forget the biggest deal they had ever given out to date...2 time champion and guitar playing goofball

Barry frickin Zito!

Seriously we all were hard on him for pitching like crap most of the time with all the money invested. but he'd have stretches and that WS game 1 in 2012 he beats Verlander giving up 1 in 5 2/3 and getting an RBI too.

Shameless excuse to reminisce but I did what I did. And for real that's a big signing. Bonds the biggest ever of course, but then it's Zito and...Cueto? RayRay? Huff? Vogelsong?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if I am understanding tz’s argument correctly, every FA the Giants ever signed, be it the most expensive domestic (Zito), or the cheapest NDFA, ONLY signed with the Giants because they have never done a complete tear-down firesale.

That is a pretty rough opinion of your favorite team, if you ask me.

And what are the other teams that HAVE sold at the deadline doing to be able to sign FAs that the Giants are unable or unwilling to do?

• Bullseye
Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panda as originally signed was an intl FA -- unless I'm misremembering
I really don't think 16 year olds in the Caribbean are wondering "did this team ever commit to a fire sale?" They should not count in this discussion (neither should guys desperate for a new contract due to a couple of down years).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if I am understanding tz’s argument correctly, every FA the Giants ever signed, be it the most expensive domestic (Zito), or the cheapest NDFA, ONLY signed with the Giants because they have never done a complete tear-down firesale.

And what are the other teams that HAVE sold at the deadline doing to be able to sign FAs that the Giants are unable or unwilling to do?
Those poor Padres, they'll never sign another free agent again. Remember when they went flamethrower on their roster after getting Kimbrel and others and it didn't work well that season? The free agent drought there since then has been awful, just awful.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But I never said nor implied the above. I never used "only," I said it's probably a factor in the FO's reasoning.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You did imply with your list. What was the point of all those names, otherwise?
Re-read the question asked. "how did not raising the white flag help get FAs"

My only point was that this COULD be their thinking. Or a part of it. I have no idea what the calculus is, but I would have dealt Snelk.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, we haven’t.

And how has that helped us attract FAs?

Cueto
McGee
Vogelsong
Torres
Casilla
RayRay
Butler
Brenly
Panda
Bonds
Lee
Chapman
Hicks
Soler
Huff

This is the context of your list. You just listed many of the FAs we have signed in the last 35+ years. If you were just fucking around, fine. We all do that. But don’t feel put out that you have been attacked for a ridiculous stance.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wouldn't that be nice.
He does kind of owe us a little, letting him waste half the year rehabbing and spring training during the season, he might appreciate that, who knows. Just being hopeful I guess, it's not 100% sure he opts out, or doesn't extend with us.