• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Trade Deadline

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not me; full credit for admitting it isn't working out. It wasn't a bad signing at the time. It just turned out that Soler hit like a little bitch at Oracle. So, he dumps the salary. Good move and we pick up a mid tier prospect.
Still feel this way with the Canha acquisition?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking only for myself…I just want a direction. Like let’s sell sell or buy buy. I was ok when they held on to MadBum as a loyalty move to a tenured Giant. But it seems like most trade deadlines it’s a mix of both buy and sell and it never seems to turn out in our favor. If I was a player on the Giants under the Farhan regime, I’d feel like a number and have no loyalty to the front office whatsoever and definitely would be hesitant to sign there long term (unless they blow me away from other offers).

Just disappointed, no sense in mad anymore.

But this was like a soft sell…let’s do a sell sell (like Snell and Chapman and anybody else that will fetch something good - if the deal is there I know it takes two to tango). This seems to me like “we’re replacing old not very productive guys with young might be productive guys” without getting much back in return.

In a vacuum I’m not against any of the moves made. Just wish we’d push our chips in one way or the other.
FZ has heard your request . . . and decided to further muddy the waters.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He decided to cfix a mistake . . and then fill that spot with another mistake. That's my take, anyway.
Nah, Luci fills the Soler spot, so to me that's an upgrade and a good move.

Canha is just another churn move. Gave up nothing, got nothing.

Real missed opportunity to deal Snelk, though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, Luci fills the Soler spot, so to me that's an upgrade and a good move.

Canha is just another churn move. Gave up nothing, got nothing.

Real missed opportunity to deal Snelk, though.
I can only assume that trading Snell would have cost the org more than 5M in lost gate/ad/concession/etc income in the final 2 months. I have no way to know how to calculate those activities, but that is the only thing that makes any sense to me.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can only assume that trading Snell would have cost the org more than 5M in lost gate/ad/concession/etc income in the final 2 months. I have no way to know how to calculate those activities, but that is the only thing that makes any sense to me.
I doubt that was the calculus, at least not directly.

There is a white flag effect that they are probably more concerned with. could be the image takes too much of a hit in their estimation if we had dealt Snelk for Holliday. Tells potential FAs "hey, we might pay you to come here but we'll ship you out if we struggle." Although, we did it with Soler, so....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt that was the calculus, at least not directly.

There is a white flag effect that they are probably more concerned with. could be the image takes too much of a hit in their estimation if we had dealt Snelk for Holliday. Tells potential FAs "hey, we might pay you to come here but we'll ship you out if we struggle." Although, we did it with Soler, so....
Dude.

Holliday was NEVER on the table. Just stop.

As for telling future FAs that we may do a fire sale, only a very few orgs avoid fire sales, and they are still able to sign FAs. Basically, it seems that all teams are in the “Meh” bucket for FAs save for the Spanks, dogs, Cards and Cubs. They seem to get a bit of a sweetheart treatment that other orgs don’t enjoy. And most teams fire sale when appropriate.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude.

Holliday was NEVER on the table. Just stop.

As for telling future FAs that we may do a fire sale, only a very few orgs avoid fire sales, and they are still able to sign FAs. Basically, it seems that all teams are in the “Meh” bucket for FAs save for the Spanks, dogs, Cards and Cubs. They seem to get a bit of a sweetheart treatment that other orgs don’t enjoy. And most teams fire sale when appropriate.
Not us though. Can't remember one, can you?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh Jesus…

Canha is a fucking Tinker Belle.

Shoot him now. In the head. We need white matter on the floor…

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, off the top of my head:

Cueto
McGee
Vogelsong
Torres
Casilla
RayRay
Butler
Brenly
Panda
Bonds
Lee
Chapman
Hicks
Soler
Huff

But yeah, you do have a point
So these guys signed with us because we haven’t had a fire sale?