• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Opening Day 25

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated guess on OP roster:
Pitchers (13): Bergen (25), Moronta (26), Rodriguez (26), Stratton (28), Bumgarner (29), Simth (29), Dyson (30), Pomeranz (30), Holland (32), Vincent (32), Watson (33), Melancon (34), Samardzija (34)
Catchers (2): Posey (32), Kratz (38)
Infielders (6): Joe (26), Panik (28), Belt (30), Solarte (31), Crawford (32), Longoria (33)
Outfielders (4): Duggar (25), Reed (26), Williamson (28), Parra (31)

Now only 11 players will be under 30 on Opening Day. No one will be under 25. The youngest 5 players would be Bergen, Duggar, Moronta, Reed and Rodriguez. If Gott makes the team over Bergen, then it would be Duggar, Garcia, Moronta, Reed, Rodriguez and Gott.

Newest addition Kratz is the oldest player on the roster and has no options left, but he still has two years of control.

I'm swapping Stratton for Gott, but other than that I agree. And I think this is just about the best team you can put out there.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm swapping Stratton for Gott, but other than that I agree. And I think this is just about the best team you can put out there.
Interesting. That doesn't really give Bochy any long reliever. Who do you see filling that role?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated..

Locks (bubbles)

SP (5/5): Bum, Sammy, Dutch, DRod, PomPom
Bully (5/8): Smith, Watson, Moronta, Dyson, Vincent (MM, Bergen, Gott, Stratton, Blach, Suarez)
C (1/2): Posey (Garcia, Kratz)
Inf (5/6): Belt, Panik, Craw, Longo, Solarte (Hanson, Sandoval, Joe)
OF (3/4): Dugger, Mac, Parra (Joe, Reed, Ramos)

Vincent, Solarte, and Parra would require 40-spots. In this scenario, MM, Sandoval and Hanson would likely be gone.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO, the bigger cost of that trade is the potential (likely?) loss of Lopez. Hinojosa is a decent enough prospect, but not org-shifting either way.

But why acquire Kratz? How is he better than Garcia or Rivera? He is going into his age 39 season.

I refuse to declare FZ any kind of bust for at least 2 or 3 years, but he does not have the auto-benefit-of-the-doubt that Sabes and co enjoyed from me.

This trade makes zero sense.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if Buster’s hip is still barking a little. Or if they couldn’t find a good OFer via trade if Belt and Mac will platoon in LF with Buster at 1B?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if Buster’s hip is still barking a little. Or if they couldn’t find a good OFer via trade if Belt and Mac will platoon in LF with Buster at 1B?
Most of what I have read/heard, Buster is doing great. That doesn’t mean they don’t intend on DRASTICALLY reducing his dish-time.

Maybe they feel they need a 3rd catcher on the 40 and that is why they aren’t going with Garcia out of the gate???

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants' media has been EXTREMELY pro Sandoval today. Seems like Pablo's agent is working some overtime.
Since we aren't winning dick this year I want to see Sandoval on the team. What difference does it make who the backup infielders are?

Reactions: LHG
Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO, the bigger cost of that trade is the potential (likely?) loss of Lopez. Hinojosa is a decent enough prospect, but not org-shifting either way.

But why acquire Kratz? How is he better than Garcia or Rivera? He is going into his age 39 season.

I refuse to declare FZ any kind of bust for at least 2 or 3 years, but he does not have the auto-benefit-of-the-doubt that Sabes and co enjoyed from me.

Well at least we are getting that veteran presence that Noggin so loves. (So much, AGAIN, for getting younger and more athletic.) SMH

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at least we are getting that veteran presence that Noggin so loves. (So much, AGAIN, for getting younger and more athletic.) SMH
And moves like Kratz make it feel like the old regime, pre-World Series wins. I haven't done the research, but they don't seem like typical Zaidi moves during his tenure in the Dodgers' org.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree: 100% He hasn't brought any rings to this org (nor did he at the previous employer but did get them close twice). It takes time to determine if an exec is a success or a bust but most of his moves are puzzling so far. I've begun to wonder if his last name translates, in Italian, to DiPoto.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we aren't winning dick this year I want to see Sandoval on the team. What difference does it make who the backup infielders are?

Since we aren't winning dick this year, I want to see if one of these fringy/younger guys are actually worth a lick instead of wasting valuable time experimenting in a year they're trying to compete. We know who Pablo is.

Me personally, I'm not going to tune in to watch Pablo. I'm more inclined to see what Connor Joe's got, though.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we aren't winning dick this year, I want to see if one of these fringy/younger guys are actually worth a lick instead of wasting valuable time experimenting in a year they're trying to compete. We know who Pablo is.

Me personally, I'm not going to tune in to watch Pablo. I'm more inclined to see what Connor Joe's got, though.
I could be wrong on this, but my interpretation of MSG's post is that he'd rather see Sandoval than Solarte. But that is just me.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering this quote from Bochy after yesterday's game, I'd say he'd prefer keeping Sandoval as well. The problem is, he'd probably also prefer Solarte over Hanson and Joe, which I find problematic.

“Hasn’t he swung well? He really has,” Bochy said. “Off one of the best left-handers in the game, I’ll say. Two quality ABs.”

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get that, I just don't care this year nearly as much. Gonna be a long rebuild so I'm just not gonna care about the last few roster spots.

I know that's just me though

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that, I just don't care this year nearly as much. Gonna be a long rebuild so I'm just not gonna care about the last few roster spots.

I know that's just me though
I also think that the Giants have a lot of has beens and never will be’s. I mean, in my humble opinion, I don’t think Shaw or Joe are ever gonna be more than a AAAA player. At least they aren’t burying Bichette or Guerrero in the minors. I get why people are frustrated, but it seems to me that this years team is a bunch of chairs on the titanic...big league and minors.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think that the Giants have a lot of has beens and never will be’s. I mean, in my humble opinion, I don’t think Shaw or Joe are ever gonna be more than a AAAA player. At least they aren’t burying Bichette or Guerrero in the minors. I get why people are frustrated, but it seems to me that this years team is a bunch of chairs on the titanic...big league and minors.
So why give up potentially 2 future assets, no matter how minor, for a one-year player who doesn’t really fill a hole?

Hinojosa is probably a future MLB util at best, but he is a FUTURE MLB util. Lopez has the potential to be a 3/4 or setup bully piece. Tossing both of those for an ancient bu catcher who isn’t clearly better than what you currently have in hand is just head scratching.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why give up potentially 2 future assets, no matter how minor, for a one-year player who doesn’t really fill a hole?

Hinojosa is probably a future MLB util at best, but he is a FUTURE MLB util. Lopez has the potential to be a 3/4 or setup bully piece. Tossing both of those for an ancient bu catcher who isn’t clearly better than what you currently have in hand is just head scratching.
I’m gonna guess you either haven’t read my prior posts today or you think that Hinojosa and Lopez were going to be underrated, yet valuable pieces to the Giants next WS.

BeerMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the front office isn’t giving up on this season like a lot of people here are.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kratz? WTF? This make NO fracking sense in any universe. An old backup catcher who will either be on the active roster or be lost immediately, when there was NO NEED AT ALL to have him on this team.

This definitely falls under the "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic" category.