• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Opening Day 25

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could Mac possibly have any chance for a lawsuit? The Giants have gotten a lot of criticism for having the pens on the field, so they can’t claim that the safety concerns were not foreseen. And they are the only pens still on the field in the whole league.

Not a chance. the legal theory is "assumption of the risk." The mounds have never moved, and they're in plain sight.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a chance. the legal theory is "assumption of the risk." The mounds have never moved, and they're in plain sight.
Does the type of employee a ballplayer is not change that? They aren't really at-will employees because, while the team can terminate the player, the player cannot just walk away and get hired with another team. In order to pursue a major league career, a ballplayer has to play for one organization that owns his rights. That wouldn't make a difference in consideration? While they are in plain sight, they are also put within a space that, it is assumed, is within the area that the employee must cover. If an employee working at a grocery store had to navigate around a pool of water kept in the middle of the workspace, when the employee inevitably slips on that pool due to its location, is not the employer at fault for placing a hazardous item in the middle of work space?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does the type of employee a ballplayer is not change that? They aren't really at-will employees because, while the team can terminate the player, the player cannot just walk away and get hired with another team. In order to pursue a major league career, a ballplayer has to play for one organization that owns his rights. That wouldn't make a difference in consideration? While they are in plain sight, they are also put within a space that, it is assumed, is within the area that the employee must cover. If an employee working at a grocery store had to navigate around a pool of water kept in the middle of the workspace, when the employee inevitably slips on that pool due to its location, is not the employer at fault for placing a hazardous item in the middle of work space?
Particularly when there have been multiple complaints about the location of said pool.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, in short: no.

But a couple of points:

1. Baseball players are "at will;" they can walk away at any time. They can go to another country and play, or an independent league, or become tax attorneys (eeeewww), etc.
2. Nature of employment wouldn't have any bearing on the employer's negligence. These are two different concepts.
3. Your analogy isn't a good one; a pool of water is a known hazard and violates OSHA law. Mounds, flagpoles, unpadded fences are not violations. There is no reasonable expectation for a SF baseball player that there will be no mounds (or padded walls).
4. A baseball player has the agency to choose NOT to run into a wall, over a mound, into a flagpole, etc. Therefore, he assumes the risk.

All that said, I think putting the mounds on the field is stupid. They should be out under the right field arcade and people walking by on the Port Walk would be able to watch them warming up.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, in short: no.

But a couple of points:

1. Baseball players are "at will;" they can walk away at any time. They can go to another country and play, or an independent league, or become tax attorneys (eeeewww), etc.
2. Nature of employment wouldn't have any bearing on the employer's negligence. These are two different concepts.
3. Your analogy isn't a good one; a pool of water is a known hazard and violates OSHA law. Mounds, flagpoles, unpadded fences are not violations. There is no reasonable expectation for a SF baseball player that there will be no mounds (or padded walls).
4. A baseball player has the agency to choose NOT to run into a wall, over a mound, into a flagpole, etc. Therefore, he assumes the risk.

All that said, I think putting the mounds on the field is stupid. They should be out under the right field arcade and people walking by on the Port Walk would be able to watch them warming up.
Thanks for the clarifications. Obviously, I'm not an attorney. I thought that because a player's rights are controlled by one team and couldn't just go get hired at another "firm" across the country if he wanted better pay or more exposure that "at will" wouldn't be applicable. But I'm not familiar with the full definition of "at will".

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the clarifications. Obviously, I'm not an attorney. I thought that because a player's rights are controlled by one team and couldn't just go get hired at another "firm" across the country if he wanted better pay or more exposure that "at will" wouldn't be applicable. But I'm not familiar with the full definition of "at will".

Quit rubbing it in....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that’s why we like you more than we like tz.

:finger2:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it make it better (worse) that I'm married to an attorney?
shifty-eyes-gif.gif

Is she hot?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone as intelligent, ripped and drop dead handsome as me is going to have a smokin' hot chick. How dare you even insinuate otherwise.
Oh...

THATS the game we’re playing...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not yet, however this is apparently year 1 of a five year plan to renovate the ballpark. Maybe it's coming down the line.
If they get rid of triples alley, I will be so pissed.

Bob Fitzgerald is already painful to listen to. Having to hear him gloat on and on about that will make my ears bleed.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they get rid of triples alley, I will be so pissed.

Bob Fitzgerald is already painful to listen to. Having to hear him gloat on and on about that will make my ears bleed.

I have reduced my KNBR listening to my commute home from work. Everyone else is just unbearable to me.

But yeah I hope they don't take that away, I also don't think they will. But you never really know. If Baer is gone, maybe the new business partners want to shake things up

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have reduced my KNBR listening to my commute home from work. Everyone else is just unbearable to me.

But yeah I hope they don't take that away, I also don't think they will. But you never really know. If Baer is gone, maybe the new business partners want to shake things up
I can’t stand most of the personalities either. Tom and Brooks may be the only two I can stomach. But i sit in front of the comp all day, so I need to listen to something...