• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring training 2018

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from sfgiants.com:
"Rookies Tyler Beede and Andrew Suarez also will be considered for promotion, though with five scheduled off-days in April, the Giants will rarely need a fifth starter at the season's outset."

The problem with that thinking is that the Giants have 10 and 9 consecutive games in April. No way they go with 4 starters. So you are right about that.
We can skip the 5 in the first turn, but not for the second turn without having the 3 and 4 going on short rest.

Ain’t gunna happen.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This move is pretty shocking. He outhit Hernandez but Hernandez is still in the mix. Nutty roster moves.
Gorkys ain’t in the running. I suspect it isn’t some kind of strategic timing move. They probably wish to keep Parker, and feel he has a better chance of makin* it through waivers now vs later (no idea why, just my WAG).

I fully expect Gorkys to be DFA’d later this week to make room for Blanco.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This totally ruining my Friday...

And Steph Curry injures his knee in his first game back from an ankle sprain. Dayum! Bad day for Bay Area teams. Though I think the Dubs will be fine for the remainder of the regular season without Curry, the Giants' chances without Bum are slim and none. Or worse. :mad:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a sudden shift in the spring. Everything was moving smoothly, no one looked injured. Now the number 1 and 3 starting pitchers are both down for at least 2 months.
I don't think Shark is out 2 months. More like 4 weeks. It doesn't matter tho, his injury didn't kill the season.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Shark is out 2 months. More like 4 weeks. It doesn't matter tho, his injury didn't kill the season.
I was exaggerating based on how Bumgarner is said to be out 4 to 6 weeks but the realistic goal is the ASB. I thought I'd give some extra room on Samardzija as well. And yes, it wasn't Samardzija's injury that killed expectations for 2018.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Albert Suarez was placed on waivers by the Snakes (the first step of returning him to the Giants). Add him to the list of potential starting options for the Gs this year.

He would require a 40 spot, so I am not sure how serious an option he truly is.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Albert Suarez was placed on waivers by the Snakes (the first step of returning him to the Giants). Add him to the list of potential starting options for the Gs this year.

He would require a 40 spot, so I am not sure how serious an option he truly is.

If we're talking maybe like 2-4 starts, I'd rather roll with someone on the 40-man roster instead of going through that juggling process.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're talking maybe like 2-4 starts, I'd rather roll with someone on the 40-man roster instead of going through that juggling process.
You gotta figure the Giants will want him back, though. They need the depth right now, all of the sudden.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on when the final roster will be announced? Duggar is starting today. Is he still in legit running for the job?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yeah they'll take him back, but he won't cost a 40-man spot to take him back.
I knew I didn’t word that well...

I didn’t mean he would cost a 40 just to take him back, but it would to add him to the 25.

Right now, the rotation depth chart is something like this...

Sammy and Bum on the DL.

Cueto (officially announced as game 2 starter)
Blach (likely opening day starter)
Stratton
Holland

Beede (on 40j
Suarez
Heston
Kelley
Suarez (if they take him back)

That is pretty scary. I am not sure how excited I am for Beede. Heston broke after the no-no. The Suarez brothers don’t fill me with longing right now. Kelley WAS a top prospect, but that was about 4 years ago.

Shift everyone down 2 slots, and I am OK. But as it sits right now... Yikes.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on when the final roster will be announced? Duggar is starting today. Is he still in legit running for the job?

The Giants are usually last in all of these sort of things, press releases etc.

I think they'll do whatever puts the team in the best place to win, and Duggar can certainly be considered as a guy that leads to that.

Then again, Gorkys is still in the lineup today so who knows.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew I didn’t word that well...

I didn’t mean he would cost a 40 just to take him back, but it would to add him to the 25.

Right now, the rotation depth chart is something like this...

Sammy and Bum on the DL.

Cueto (officially announced as game 2 starter)
Blach (likely opening day starter)
Stratton
Holland

Beede (on 40j
Suarez
Heston
Kelley
Suarez (if they take him back)

That is pretty scary. I am not sure how excited I am for Beede. Heston broke after the no-no. The Suarez brothers don’t fill me with longing right now. Kelley WAS a top prospect, but that was about 4 years ago.

Shift everyone down 2 slots, and I am OK. But as it sits right now... Yikes.

I think even when Sammy gets back it will be OKAY, but this group can't sustain many more issues.

For maybe 2-4 starts, I can live with Beede.

Also don't forget your guy Gomez :D (in all seriousness, I think he has value. His stuff ain't bad)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t have anything against Gomez. I just don’t anything FOR him either. He is too old to be a prospect, he put up horrible numbers in his SHORT stint with the team last year and I dont think I ever heard of him before he was called up.

If the team likes him, great. I trust them more than I trust myself. But MY view is that he adds nothing.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duggar is back at it

giphy.gif