• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring training 2018

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sammy will start the season on the DL. Will that have an effective date of the first day of the season? So he will officially be unavailable for the first 10 days?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with Shark on the DL, does that save Fernandez, for a time at least?

Bum, Cueto, Holland, Stratton, Blach

Melancon, Strickland, Dyson, Watson, Osich, Gearrin, Fernandez

Posey, Belt, Panik, Crawford, Longoria, Pence, Jackson, McCutchen

Hundley, Savdoval, Tomlinson/Rutledge, Blanco, Parker

Andres Blanco was just released, BTW.
I think this looks about right.

So who gets bumped from the 40 (2 slots needed if KT wins the job, 3 if it goes to Rutledge)? Roberto Gomes? Law? One of the Johnsons (Chase?)? Gorkys is certainly gone with this roster.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this looks about right.

So who gets bumped from the 40 (2 slots needed if KT wins the job, 3 if it goes to Rutledge)? Roberto Gomes? Law? One of the Johnsons (Chase?)? Gorkys is certainly gone with this roster.

Yeah Hernandez is certainly one and I'm warming up to the Smith 60-day DL, but I doubt the Giants go that route. I don't think R.Gomez is going anywhere. Chase could get put on the 60-day DL, but he's been looking really good this spring and the Giants probably don't want him to sit out much longer. Pierce is too talented to let go as well. Okert perhaps, or maybe even Parker and the Giants roll with 4 OFers.

A reason I'm not really liking the idea of Rutledge is because they need to open a spot. I don't think there's much difference between the two, and if Kelby collapses the Giants have plenty of other options.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let the fire sale begin.

Of course, Bum was supposed to be the major sellable asset...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm figuring 2 months and right now it feels like the season is lost....

ugh.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s try this again...

Opening day roster...

Cueto
Holland
Stratton
Blach
Beede

Melancon
Watson
Dyson
Gearrin
Strickland
Osich
Fernandez

Posey
Hundley

Belt
Panik
Crawford
Longoria
Sandoval
Tomlinson

Pence
Jackson
McCutchen
Blanco
Parker

DL

Smith
Samardzija
Bumgarner

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s try this again...

Opening day roster...

Cueto
Holland
Stratton
Blach
Beede

Melancon
Watson
Dyson
Gearrin
Strickland
Osich
Fernandez

Posey
Hundley

Belt
Panik
Crawford
Longoria
Sandoval
Tomlinson

Pence
Jackson
McCutchen
Blanco
Parker

DL

Smith
Samardzija
Bumgarner
Considering the sudden ugliness of the rotation, do the Giants roll with a 4 man with the early off days? Can they do that? Does that make it necessary to carry a 8 man bullpen? Do the Giants go shopping and sign someone from the remaining free agent bargain bin (which consists of Ubaldo Jimenez, John Lackey, Scott Feldman, RA Dickey - if he did not retire and Matt Garza - but I think he's not healthy enough to pitch)?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the sudden ugliness of the rotation, do the Giants roll with a 4 man with the early off days? Can they do that? Does that make it necessary to carry a 8 man bullpen? Do the Giants go shopping and sign someone from the remaining free agent bargain bin (which consists of Ubaldo Jimenez, John Lackey, Scott Feldman, RA Dickey - if he did not retire and Matt Garza - but I think he's not healthy enough to pitch)?

Bartolo Colon is out there

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they go with Beede or Suarez as the 5. I can’t imagine they go 4-man. But an 8-man bully is a definite possibility. This may kill Parker’s last gasp as a SF Giant.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4-6 weeks with pins in his hand. THEN he has pins removed and recovers from that. He “hopes” to pitch before ASB.

This sounds like a 60-day DL trip.

At least he will be fresh for the trade deadline...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4-6 weeks with pins in his hand. THEN he has pins removed and recovers from that. He “hopes” to pitch before ASB.

This sounds like a 60-day DL trip.

At least he will be fresh for the trade deadline...

Speaking of, if we are going to blow it up (and I really think we should), the following players should be traded as they have value:

1. Cueto
2. Gearrin
3. Melancon
4. Samardzija - when healthy
5. Hundley
6. Longoria - in June
7. Panda
8. Jackson - in June
9. McCutchen - in June
10. Pence (in a package with some of the above)

I'd keep Posey, Belt, Panik, Crawford and all the minimum players. There is an opportunity here to completely restock the minors and get ML ready young talent too. It'd hurt and AT&T would be empty a lot, but it's the smart thing to do.

They won't do it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of, if we are going to blow it up (and I really think we should), the following players should be traded as they have value:

1. Cueto
2. Gearrin
3. Melancon
4. Samardzija - when healthy
5. Hundley
6. Longoria - in June
7. Panda
8. Jackson - in June
9. McCutchen - in June
10. Pence (in a package with some of the above)

I'd keep Posey, Belt, Panik, Crawford and all the minimum players. There is an opportunity here to completely restock the minors and get ML ready young talent too. It'd hurt and AT&T would be empty a lot, but it's the smart thing to do.

They won't do it.
Realistically, it is too early to blow it up. But if, in 3 or 4 months they decide to go that route, Posey and Ramos are the only guys I don’t listen to offers for. Everyone else is available.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they go with Beede or Suarez as the 5. I can’t imagine they go 4-man. But an 8-man bully is a definite possibility. This may kill Parker’s last gasp as a SF Giant.
This from sfgiants.com:
"Rookies Tyler Beede and Andrew Suarez also will be considered for promotion, though with five scheduled off-days in April, the Giants will rarely need a fifth starter at the season's outset."

The problem with that thinking is that the Giants have 10 and 9 consecutive games in April. No way they go with 4 starters. So you are right about that.