• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring training 2018

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Albert Suarez was placed on waivers by the Snakes (the first step of returning him to the Giants). Add him to the list of potential starting options for the Gs this year.

He would require a 40 spot, so I am not sure how serious an option he truly is.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo.../?hootPostID=c08867ed2f2e974a1f0e2b8ea9790afc
"Suarez is unique as a Rule 5 pick in that if he clears waivers he doesn’t have to be offered back to his old team, the San Francisco Giants, because he already has a prior outright. He can instead elect free agency."

Last edited:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at least the bullepn depth is showing up a bit. Snelten yesterday, Law and Pierce Johnson today. Maybe the Giants will get creative with that final starter's spot and go with bullpen games and abuse the DL

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the “It’s Spring Training, but...” department...

Matt Moore has been stinking it up for Texas this spring. He has an ERA over 7, and on Wednesday, he went 2 innings giving up 8 hits (2 HRs) and 2 walks while only getting 1 k.

Wtf happened to this guy, and why tf did we give up Fox to get him?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if these rumors are true, the Giants are thinking about jumping over the luxury tax threshold and continuing the raid of a fairly barren farm system? And this just to flail at fading hopes of a wild card? If true, it smacks of desperation, and those decisions do not usually end well.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if these rumors are true, the Giants are thinking about jumping over the luxury tax threshold and continuing the raid of a fairly barren farm system? And this just to flail at fading hopes of a wild card? If true, it smacks of desperation, and those decisions do not usually end well.

Neither of these makes much sense. On the surface sure you have a team that has a robust amount of starters and one that needs one. But as you realize, it doesn't make much sense beyond that.

Kendal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Feldman, RA Dickey, and John Lackey are available as Free Agents. Not sure how much it would cost to sign one of them though.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roberto Gomez tonight:

Fastball

giphy.gif

Slider

giphy.gif

Curveball

giphy.gif

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roberto Gomez tonight:

Fastball

giphy.gif

Slider

giphy.gif

Curveball

giphy.gif
The slider hardly broke. Look where Hundley sets up.

The FB looked nice, though. It had some cut back towards the plate.

Didn’t look like he knew where the curve was going. It went to the backstop. He can’t throw that with runners on base or with 2 strikes.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn’t look like he knew where the curve was going. It went to the backstop. He can’t throw that with runners on base or with 2 strikes.

Didn't have great feel for the curveball tonight, seemed like he kept pulling it to his glove-side. Hundley should have caught that one though.

His slider had solid vertical depth, which is good. This one was better.

giphy.gif

Not as good as his curve, though, when he's spotting it.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MLB's game day was calling his fastball a sinker.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB's game day was calling his fastball a sinker.
I stopped trusting MLBs FB differentiation’s a few years back. Not that they are really to blame, though. I think it is next to impossible to differentiate if you don’t actually know the grip.

The one sfgrtb linked above had some decent cut, though, so I could understand it called some sort of cutter. It didn’t has any drop, though, so not sure I would have selected the sinker.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stopped trusting MLBs FB differentiation’s a few years back. Not that they are really to blame, though. I think it is next to impossible to differentiate if you don’t actually know the grip.

The one sfgrtb linked above had some decent cut, though, so I could understand it called some sort of cutter. It didn’t has any drop, though, so not sure I would have selected the sinker.

The one I posted tails/sinks. That's a sinker/2-seam or whatever you want to call it (I agree, only the pitcher really knows in that case).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, not enough speed differential from his slider. Needs real work on the deuce.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst case scenario...

If Fernandez has TJ, they will not be allowed to dump him back Tom the Rox, and they would still have to keep him on the roster for at least a portion of next season.

2019 is going to be a SUPER dumpster fire, so that isn’t too big a deal, but TJ would damn near ruin his value a solid a flame thrower...

And there are no words for the Melancon news. We all knew it was a bad contract when it was signed, but it was a perceived necisary evil. But he has exceeded all of our expectations.

Opening day with 5 pitchers on the DL? Holy shit.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst case scenario...

If Fernandez has TJ, they will not be allowed to dump him back Tom the Rox, and they would still have to keep him on the roster for at least a portion of next season.

2019 is going to be a SUPER dumpster fire, so that isn’t too big a deal, but TJ would damn near ruin his value a solid a flame thrower...

And there are no words for the Melancon news. We all knew it was a bad contract when it was signed, but it was a perceived necisary evil. But he has exceeded all of our expectations.

Opening day with 5 pitchers on the DL? Holy shit.
If Fernandez has TJ, more likely he's not going to be ready until August of 2018. The Giants may just release him if he doesn't look good in rehab.

I didn't think that the Melancon deal was bad at the time. Maybe a little long but I thought he'd be a better add, for the money, than the other guys available at the time. Injuries are unpredictable, but the year he had when healthy, last year, wasn't good. Hope he can salvage some of 2018.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this could well be the pitching staff that breaks camp:

Starters
Ty Blach
Johnny Cueto
Chris Stratton
Derek Holland
Tyler Beede

Relievers
Manny Parra
Derek Law
Robert Gomez
Josh Osich
Cory Gearrin
Sam Dyson
Tony Watson
Hunter Strickland

I'm completely guessing on the final 3 guys in the bullpen. I assume Law because of his big league experience and Gomez because he's on the 40 man roster and has pitched with the team recently. I said no to Snelten due to his awful meltdown the other night.
I assume 8 relief pitchers due to the lack of depth in the rotation and the bullpen begin hit as well. The last guy could be any of Parra, Reyes Moronta, Steven Okert, Casey Kelly, Chris Heston or Jose Valdez. I wouldn't be surprised if they pick someone up off waivers too.