• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Former Giants in the Big Leagues - 2019 edition

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here you will find another signature of FZ's moves. Last year, only 33 former Giants played in the big leagues. This year, the number has close to doubled to 64. Yet, quantity does not always equal quality. Here is the breakdown:

Starting pitchers - Once again, the front three of this rotation would consist of Zach Wheeler, Luis Castillo & Mike Leake. While Leake looked about the same, an innings eater with decent 4th starter numbers, both Castillo and Wheeler took steps forward in their production. Castillo could become the ace of the Reds' rotation while Wheeler looks for a big pay day on the free agent market. After that, there are really any starters to put here. You could make a case for Jonathan Loaisiga, as about 20% of his appearances with the Yankees were starts, but that's only 4 games started. Chris Stratton started the year in the Angels' rotation but that last a month and was awful. Ty Blach got a rotation audition with the Orioles at the end of the season but he was brutal. Matt Moore should be mentioned here as he did start 2 games with the Tigers, and looked good, before being shut down for the season due to injury. Andrew Moore made one start with the Mariners after they picked him up from the Giants. It wasn't pretty.

Bullpen - If one starts the bullpen with a look at the closer, Sergio Romo would be the closest to that role. He was the main closer for the Rays for the 1st half of the season but looked better as the set up guy with the Twins. Yusimeiro Petit was switched from long man to set up guy with the A's and thrived. Chris Stratton also looked a lot better in the Pirates' bullpen when they picked him up. Francisco Liriano also had a decent year in the Pirates' bullpen. Josh Osich, Joe Biagini, Derek Law, David Hernandez, and Kyle Crick all had poor seasons this year. Cory Gearrin looked decent with the Mariners but struggled after being picked up by the Yankees. Heath Hembree had another decent, yet injury riddled, season with the Red Sox. Dan Otero's injury riddled season, however, looked like he is continuing to slide toward another occupation. Drew Pomeranz and Mark Melancon shined in the Brewers' and Braves' bullpens, respectively. Adalberto Mejia was bounced from the Twins, to the Angels to the Cardinals. He looked okay with the Angels but got rocked with the other two clubs. Other relievers who pitched in the big leagues this year: Neil Ramirez, Hunter Strickland, Ray Black, Nick Vincent, Sam Dyson, Williams Jerez, Ryan Dull, Jake Barrett & Keury Mella.

Catcher - Five former Giant catchers played in the big leagues this year. One of them, spring training reject, Tom Murphy, had quite a breakout with the Mariners in a platoon role, hitting .273/.324/.535 in 260 ABs. Tim Federowicz continued his brief appearances in the big leagues, this time with the Rangers, logging 65 Abs with a .559 OPS. Nick Hundley struggled with the A's, getting cut after 70 ABs. Rene Rivera & Erik Kratz both had 17 ABs in the big leagues after the Giants tossed them.

Infielders - This guy would be hard pressed to find enough starters to fill the infield. Hanser Alberto, another brief add to the 40 man last offseason, posted a nice season with the Orioles, with a .305/.329/.422 slash in 524 ABs. The next player with the most ABs in 2019 is Gordon Beckham. He managed to get 223 ABs with the Tigers, posting a mediocre .643 OPS. Ehire Adrianza, meanwhile, had another decent season with the Twins as the backup infielder, with a .765 OPS. Eduardo Nunez did not hit well when he got playing time with the Red Sox - .228/.243/.305 in 167 ABs. Matt Duffy, in yet another injury riddled season, posted only a .670 OPS with the Rays. Charlie Culberson, another fine backup infielder, posted a .731 OPS. Joe Panik, Christian Arroyo, Breyvic Valera, Alen Hanson, Tyler Austin, Corban Joseph & Ruben Tejada all got less than 100 ABs with other big league clubs this year.
Outfielders - Remember a certain prospect named Bryan Reynolds? Well, he certainly did well in his debut season with the Pirates, hitting .314/.377/.503 in 491 ABs. Melky Cabrera also got some playing time with the Pirates, but his numbers were much more mediocre (.713 OPS). Hunter Pence, we all know, had a phenomenal bounceback with the Rangers. Cameron Maybin's time with the Yankees certainly helped his career (must be something in the water there). Andrew McCutchen's first season with the Phillies got cut short but he was off to a fine start. Matt Joyce & Gerardo Parra are two more early season/spring training cuts who went on to hit a lot better with the Braves and Nationals, respectively. Cesar Puello hit well in his brief stay with the Angels but struggled once the Marlins picked up him. Adam Duvall didn't get to play with the Braves until late in the season but posted a typical Duvall season, slashing .267/.315/.567 in 120 late season ABs. Mac Willamson bombed, in a bad way, with the Mariners (and in Korea as well). Gorkys Hernandez, Peter Bourjos, Aaron Altherr, Rajai Davis and Jarrett Parker also appeared in the big leagues this year.

A total of 24 organizations employed at least 1 former Giant on their roster at some point in the 2019 season. Below is a breakdown of how many former Giants appeared on each of those teams:
Pittsburgh Pirates - 7
New York Mets - 6
New York Yankees - 6
Seattle Mariners - 6
Toronto Blue Jays - 6
Anaheim Angels - 5
Atlanta Braves - 4
Minnesota Twins - 4
Boston Red Sox - 3
Cincinnati Reds - 3
Milwaukee Brewers - 3
Tampa Bay Rays - 3
Baltimore Orioles - 2
Cleveland Indians - 2
Detroit Tigers - 2
Miami Marlins - 2
Oakland Athletics - 2
Philadelphia Phillies - 2
Texas Rangers - 2
Washington Nationals - 2
Arizona Diamondbacks - 1
Houston Astros - 1
Chicago White Sox - 1
Saint Louis Cardinals - 1

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would find it humorous if the Giants hired Carlos Beltran to manage and then signed Zach Wheeler.
I get what you are saying, but...

No way in hell does China Doll manage this team.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So . . . you are on the fence about him?
I was/am totally OK with the trade when it went down. But I don’t like over-the hill prima-donnas on my team, let alone managing my team...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was/am totally OK with the trade when it went down. But I don’t like over-the hill prima-donnas on my team, let alone managing my team...
Well, as a manager, he wouldn't be over the hill. Are you okay with young prima donnas as managers?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, as a manager, he wouldn't be over the hill. Are you okay with young prima donnas as managers?
He left on bad-ish terms. How would that go over with him being a first time manager?

Look, if he gets hired, than great. The people doing the interviews and putting the plan together know more than I do. I would be OK with it. But with the info I have at my disposal, I believe he would be a horrible hire, and thus will not be the hire.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He left on bad-ish terms. How would that go over with him being a first time manager?

Look, if he gets hired, than great. The people doing the interviews and putting the plan together know more than I do. I would be OK with it. But with the info I have at my disposal, I believe he would be a horrible hire, and thus will not be the hire.
Well, most of management is gone now and many of the players too. Only the fans (and a few core players) are left from that time.

By the way, not trying to argue for his hiring, just trying to be a butt. Is it working?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, most of management is gone now and many of the players too. Only the fans (and a few core players) are left from that time.

By the way, not trying to argue for his hiring, just trying to be a butt. Is it working?
With that, LHG, you need not try. You are a natural at that...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With that, LHG, you need not try. You are a natural at that...
giphy.gif

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltran is the new Mets manager. What a relief.

Edit: PS: (an aside) Did you know that SpoortsHoop doesn't allow logins from Europe? I didn't, until I got stuck there for several weeks and had to go through forced GiantsBoard withdrawal.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltran is the new Mets manager. What a relief.

Edit: PS: (an aside) Did you know that SpoortsHoop doesn't allow logins from Europe? I didn't, until I got stuck there for several weeks and had to go through forced GiantsBoard withdrawal.

Getting stuck in Europe doesn't sound so bad