• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Former Giants in the Big Leagues - 2019 edition

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Mac, rooting for him

In other news the Astros are interviewing......Dusty Baker (!)
I am probably the only one on this board who liked Dusty Baker as a Giants' manager. I am rooting for him to get another chance to manage. The Mets are rumored to be looking at him as well.

Also, the Blue Jays signed Panik to a minor league deal with a spring training invite.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am probably the only one on this board who liked Dusty Baker as a Giants' manager. I am rooting for him to get another chance to manage. The Mets are rumored to be looking at him as well.

Also, the Blue Jays signed Panik to a minor league deal with a spring training invite.
I liked Dusty too! He's a pretty good manager

Reactions: LHG

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it amazing how every team he's taken over immediately got better. Too bad he hasn't gotten a title yet.
Exactly. He may be the only manager to take 3 teams to the playoffs, I'm not sure

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. He may be the only manager to take 3 teams to the playoffs, I'm not sure
He actually took 4 teams to the playoffs: Giants (3 times), Cubs (1 time), Reds (3 times) and Nationals (2 times).

Joe Torre managed 5 different teams but took only three of them to the playoffs. That's the only other manager I could think of that could have pulled off that feat but there may be others.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Showalter took the Spanks, DBacks and O’s to the post season.

Billy Martin took the Twins, Tigers, Spanks and A’s to the post season.

Jim Leland took the Pirates, Fish and Tigers to the post season.

Tony La Russa took the White Sox, A’s and Cards to the post season.

Reactions: LHG

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...I liked Dusty too! He's a pretty good manager

No, he wasn't "a pretty good manager". He was a great "people person" (the players liked him). His in-game calls were often so atrocious that it boggles the mind (and it wasn't just pitching brainfarts). My wife (who knows nothing about, nor cares about, baseball) to this day, whenever his name is mentioned, calls him "that guy who made you scream at the TV screen every other game". My blood pressure *still* goes up whenever I think about game 4 of the 2000 NL Division Series (not pinch-hitting for Gardner with 2 on in the 5th).

I find it amazing how every team he's taken over immediately got better. Too bad he hasn't gotten a title yet.

The teams he was hired to "got better" because of the talent on the teams - any improvement was due to great players. He *destroyed* the Cubs pitching talent over the years, if you remember. He has gotten what he deserved : no reward for brain-dead managing.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eduardo Nunez signed a minor league deal with the Mets.

And Bobby Evans is the first name to surface in the Astros' GM search.