• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could add Morales and move Moreland for pitching but I still don't want to see Nellie go somewhere in the division like Seattle

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife asked me if there was anything else I wanted for Christmas. I said,
"I got choo. I'm good."

See what you did there

Good Christmas already, Choo was huge and AAV is decent and as for the years who knows what happens 5 years from now. He may be moved before then anyway. Added a leadoff hitter that gets on base at a great clip even against lefties and has some power and speed. Makes up for losing Kinsler at the top of the order and then you add Profar to the lineup and Prince and even if Cruz is gone the offense is starting to look like it can score runs, even if you DH Mitch you still have some power towards the bottom. Even if JD was done making moves this is better than what we had, but I think he still has another move or 2 up his sleeve

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking, the Fielder deal really helped this signing. We did get Fielder for roughly 10mill/year,
add Choo's 18.5/mill
so round that up 29 million if you like, then divide it, we essentially picked up Fielder and Choo for 14.5mill/year per player-7 years
Are you freaking kidding me? That's great stuff. One of the best sluggers and OBP guys and one of the best OBP/leadoff's who also has some power.

14.5mill/year for these two, I dare anyone to say that's an overpay for those two players.
this is in response to the major criticism of an overpay that I've read (and had to hear about today)...look at the whole picture is my point.
JD rocked this thing

HEY Oakland, we're back bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo
EA
Beltre
Fielder
Rios
Moreland
Soto
Profar
Martin

Soto and the young guys at the bottom should allow them to excel

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I'd be willing to give a lot for cole too... so there's that. He's got a brighter future than shelby miller. He is an ACE.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo
EA
Beltre
Fielder
Rios
Moreland
Soto
Profar
Martin

Soto and the young guys at the bottom should allow them to excel

speed and power all through the line-up, I like it, and exactly.... the younger guys can slide into the bottom with a little less pressure

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hddxqb65YiM]24/7 Red Wings/Maple Leafs - EP. 2 - Leafs/Penguins Chippiness - YouTube[/ame]

This is why I love hockey. This video is worth watching. Holy shit

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I'd be willing to give a lot for cole too... so there's that. He's got a brighter future than shelby miller. He is an ACE.

He was a number 1 pick for a reason

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might flip Beltre and Fielder though
Hit Beltre 4

Gotta hit beltre 4. Separate andrus and beltre, plus keep a big time pull hitter in prince in the 3rd spot to AT LEAST move EA or Choo over if they're at second.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might flip Beltre and Fielder though
Hit Beltre 4

I've looked at it both ways and I guess just went with the old school of thought that your best hitter should bat 3rd but that's really kind of 6 in one hand half dozen in the other. Fielder has a better obp but I haven't looked up each guys stats to all fields. See them as interchangeable at this point I guess neither is gonna burn up the base paths

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta hit beltre 4. Separate andrus and beltre, plus keep a big time pull hitter in prince in the 3rd spot to AT LEAST move EA or Choo over if they're at second.

Based on the RH LH options you are probably right

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if we will make any other big moves or not. But I like what we have. I would love to see Profar really become the player he can be now that he gets to stay at one position. And I hope we do not have all the injuries that we had to our pitching staff like we did last year. That was just ridiculous the hit we took there. And we need someone to step up as a closer. We do not need a Frankie Francisco start. What Nathan did was great and we really need that type of work again to give confidence to the team as a whole knowing that a lead is in good hands in the 9th.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've looked at it both ways and I guess just went with the old school of thought that your best hitter should bat 3rd but that's really kind of 6 in one hand half dozen in the other. Fielder has a better obp but I haven't looked up each guys stats to all fields. See them as interchangeable at this point I guess neither is gonna burn up the base paths

I would think you would like Fielder and his ability to get on base in front of Beltre, and then Beltre's ability to make contact and not strike out (only 74 last year) at 4, seems like Beltre could get a lot of sac flies and other non-hit RBI chances in this set up, and Fielder could also clear the bases in adavance with one swing too

Another stat I saw, the Rangers had the best record in the majors when they scored first, which is a testament to our pitching, but the problem was, we only scored first 76 times, all the playoff teams did it 86+ times, Choo, Andrus, Fielder & Beltre are going to do A LOT to help change that next year

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think you would like Fielder and his ability to get on base in front of Beltre, and then Beltre's ability to make contact and not strike out (only 74 last year) at 4, seems like Beltre could get a lot of sac flies and other non-hit RBI chances in this set up, and Fielder could also clear the bases in adavance with one swing too

Another stat I saw, the Rangers had the best record in the majors when they scored first, which is a testament to our pitching, but the problem was, we only scored first 76 times, all the playoff teams did it 86+ times, Choo, Andrus, Fielder & Beltre are going to do A LOT to help change that next year

I made note of that last stat you quote here as well. Pretty telling.

Also, one scout said, "Choo turns every AB into a test of wills." He averaged 4.23 pitches per AB and ranked 8th.

But his struggles against lefties is something we'll have to plan around.

parman4818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And beltre. Imagine the possibilities. Not like we need an ace, but it would be nice

I agree with Beltre in the trade with Moreland and Sardinas because Beltre is out of options and that way we can get something for him before we lose him on waivers

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Beltre in the trade with Moreland and Sardinas because Beltre is out of options and that way we can get something for him before we lose him on waivers

I still think he provides us more value as a bench player than he will help get in any trade