• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made note of that last stat you quote here as well. Pretty telling.

Also, one scout said, "Choo turns every AB into a test of wills." He averaged 4.23 pitches per AB and ranked 8th.

But his struggles against lefties is something we'll have to plan around.

.347 OBP against LHPs, that's almost as high as Kinsler had overall,

Nothing to plan around, he'll be in the lineup everyday

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.347 OBP against LHPs, that's almost as high as Kinsler had overall,

Nothing to plan around, he'll be in the lineup everyday

But his OPS is a lifetime .680, with .612 last year. Not good against lefties.

I anticipate him getting rest when we face the particularly tough LH. We'll see.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read an article yesterday that discussed the rangers lack of working the starting pitchers last year. It said with Soto, Choo, and fielder in the lineup everyday, that's about to change. And I think that type of approach is infectious. Once the lineup sees some of the better new guys working counts, they'll be compelled to do the same

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey DT....here's some more info for ya regarding state income taxes.

Choo, in turn, viewed the Rangers as his “clear first choice,” according to a source familiar with his thinking. That preference would explain why he declined to pursue a potential $140 million guarantee with the Yankees; the lack of state tax in Texas makes the Rangers’ deal more lucrative, anyway.

This one from Ken Rosenthal.

parman4818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see the Pirates trading Cole i would say he is untouchable. I think we can get a back of rotation arm for Moreland + and it needs to be a right hander to go with Darvish and the 3 left handers.That way we can move Oganda back to the bullpen to further strengthen the bullpen even more.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you guys be willing to trade moreland and some of our top prospects (minus alfaro) if it meant getting a cole or a taillon back? I think I would.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read an article yesterday that discussed the rangers lack of working the starting pitchers last year. It said with Soto, Choo, and fielder in the lineup everyday, that's about to change. And I think that type of approach is infectious. Once the lineup sees some of the better new guys working counts, they'll be compelled to do the same

I hope this is a fair assumption.

Little doubt, we've got "working the pitcher" horses in our place now.

Maybe, Madigan will have a little easier time of getting everyone on the same page this season as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you guys be willing to trade moreland and some of our top prospects (minus alfaro) if it meant getting a cole or a taillon back? I think I would.

I have a feeling JD is more comfortable than some here with going to ST and letting Lewis, Tepesch, Ogando and Ross fill the last SP spot.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But his OPS is a lifetime .680, with .612 last year. Not good against lefties.

I anticipate him getting rest when we face the particularly tough LH. We'll see.

Yeah like many players he hits a lot less and for a lot less power against same handed pitchers, but his job is to get on base and he does that no matter what hand they throw with, it might be at a lower rate, but its still superior to anyone else you would throw up there

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking, the Fielder deal really helped this signing. We did get Fielder for roughly 10mill/year,
add Choo's 18.5/mill
so round that up 29 million if you like, then divide it, we essentially picked up Fielder and Choo for 14.5mill/year per player-7 years
Are you freaking kidding me? That's great stuff. One of the best sluggers and OBP guys and one of the best OBP/leadoff's who also has some power.

14.5mill/year for these two, I dare anyone to say that's an overpay for those two players.
this is in response to the major criticism of an overpay that I've read (and had to hear about today)...look at the whole picture is my point.
JD rocked this thing

HEY Oakland, we're back bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to burst your bubble, but we are on the hook for Prince at 7/138, roughly 19MM and change. Still though, that's a fairly decent price for a big bat that plays everyday.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling JD is more comfortable than some here with going to ST and letting Lewis, Tepesch, Ogando and Ross fill the last SP spot.

I doubt Ross gets much of a look due to Holland, Harrison, & Perez already locked into SP gigs already

Injuries have a way of changing things though

I'd love to get a solid year out of Lewis though

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they were crazy enough to trade Cole or Taillon, I'd trade Moreland and any two prospects in our system beyond Alfaro. I don't think it will happen though. The Mariners could have David Price today, but they are wisely holding onto a similar prospect in T Walker

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No. If Texas is going all in to win now, id rather trade top prospects for an immediate #1 or #2.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to burst your bubble, but we are on the hook for Prince at 7/138, roughly 19MM and change. Still though, that's a fairly decent price for a big bat that plays everyday.

She's factoring in the dumping of Kinsler's contract in that, she's saying we're getting Fielder for essentially 10 million more a year than we were paying Kinsler

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its so funny being up here in maryland with a bunch of redskins fans. I tease them "hey at least you'll get a high draft pick right? Oh wait..."

Doomed franchise for a very long time

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its so funny being up here in maryland with a bunch of redskins fans. I tease them "hey at least you'll get a high draft pick right? Oh wait..."

Doomed franchise for a very long time

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo
EA
Beltre
Fielder
Rios
Moreland
Soto
Profar
Martin

Soto and the young guys at the bottom should allow them to excel

That's how I would line them up. Of course, this is Wash, so it could be...
Martin
Andrus
Choo
Beltre
Fielder
Rios
Soto
Moreland
Profar