• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I crack up that still on ESPN/Facebook there are random morons that know very little about the sport saying that Texas still needs better pitching to compete in the AL.

Yikes....

Or the ones that are questioning the Choo move as an act of desperation, and the Rangers are acting like the Yankees

My favorite was the guys who thought JD was all about analytics

Lets be fair JD is pretty good at BALANCING the the building of teams through the draft and the minor leagues, but also SHREWD free agent decisions that make SENSE

Does he have some duds? yes of course but who doesn't?

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I crack up that still on ESPN/Facebook there are random morons that know very little about the sport saying that Texas still needs better pitching to compete in the AL.

Yikes....

The Rangers are going to compete with the pitching we currently have, the offense was our biggest issue and JD has done a lot to fix that.

Those fans are just looking for something to complain about, because in their minds it's how they prove they're intelligent baseball fans.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or the ones that are questioning the Choo move as an act of desperation, and the Rangers are acting like the Yankees

Lets be fair JD is pretty good at BALANCING the the building of teams through the draft and the minor leagues, but also SHREWD free agent decisions that make SENSE

Some people still think his name is Josh Daniels.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers are going to compete with the pitching we currently have, the offense was our biggest issue and JD has done a lot to fix that.

Those fans are just looking for something to complain about, because in their minds it's how they prove they're intelligent baseball fans.

The thing is, their baseball iq was shown to be so lacking so many times while many of our posters were over there. The only difference is, nobody is there to call them on their bs anymore.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, their baseball iq was shown to be so lacking so many times while many of our posters were over there. The only difference is, nobody is there to call them on their bs anymore.

I call them out a lot when I post. I remember when they all told me no way Elvis would sign a contract with 15MM AAV. They assured me the most he would make was 10 a year. They don't know a damn thing about baseball there.

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I call them out a lot when I post. I remember when they all told me no way Elvis would sign a contract with 15MM AAV. They assured me the most he would make was 10 a year. They don't know a damn thing about baseball there.

It's as if they had no idea how much value defense and baserunning can bring...

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's as if they had no idea how much value defense and baserunning can bring...

Hey, a few years ago that probably would have been me as well, but I learned more and more and got into the game at a level I never had previously. It just happened to work out that the first year I had a lot of time to do nothing but watch baseball was in 2010. I was in college and had nothing but free time to watch the games. It was the first time I had ever watched 100+ games in a season. 2009 I watched about 80 or so, but wouldn't make baseball a priority to watch. That's when I learned about loads of sabermetrics and begin to enjoy baseball even more.

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, a few years ago that probably would have been me as well, but I learned more and more and got into the game at a level I never had previously. It just happened to work out that the first year I had a lot of time to do nothing but watch baseball was in 2010. I was in college and had nothing but free time to watch the games. It was the first time I had ever watched 100+ games in a season. 2009 I watched about 80 or so, but wouldn't make baseball a priority to watch. That's when I learned about loads of sabermetrics and begin to enjoy baseball even more.

Defense and baserunning is an interesting thing (at least for me) because those are always stressed as part of the fundamentals of baseball yet when it comes to awards or valuing players they're rarely talked about unless the players are truly elite in those categories (Ozzie Smith and Rickey Henderson for example).

I too will admit then when I was about 15 all I looked for when evaluating a player was how good their offense was, I also thought that if you won a gold glove then that meant you really were a great defender at that position oh and that you needed lots of stolen bases to be a good runner. It all changed when there was an interesting article on how to evaluate Michael Young, he was kind of the guy that exemplified the divide between old school and sabermetrics. I thought he was one of the best players in the league, but then I researched the points against him and it changed my mind.

Needless to say I'm glad I read that article since like you said it really made me appreciate the game even more, since sabermetrics was trying to quantify the fundamentals that I had forgotten about.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense and baserunning is an interesting thing (at least for me) because those are always stressed as part of the fundamentals of baseball yet when it comes to awards or valuing players they're rarely talked about unless the players are truly elite in those categories (Ozzie Smith and Rickey Henderson for example).

I too will admit then when I was about 15 all I looked for when evaluating a player was how good their offense was, I also thought that if you won a gold glove then that meant you really were a great defender at that position oh and that you needed lots of stolen bases to be a good runner. It all changed when there was an interesting article on how to evaluate Michael Young, he was kind of the guy that exemplified the divide between old school and sabermetrics. I thought he was one of the best players in the league, but then I researched the points against him and it changed my mind.

Needless to say I'm glad I read that article since like you said it really made me appreciate the game even more, since sabermetrics was trying to quantify the fundamentals that I had forgotten about.

I advocate for that two pronged approach of watching the games and breaking down the metrics. You will miss important things if you only look at the numbers, and you will miss things if you only watch the games, because we are all prone to confirmation bias when we watch things.

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I advocate for that two pronged approach of watching the games and breaking down the metrics. You will miss important things if you only look at the numbers, and you will miss things if you only watch the games, because we are all prone to confirmation bias when we watch things.

Exactly, you can't just scout the stat line as some prospect evaluators say.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This...ESPN spunked all over themselves when the Yankees signed Ellsbury and Beltran. If the Yankees had signed Choo, it would have been hailed as the move of the century

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This...ESPN spunked all over themselves when the Yankees signed Ellsbury and Beltran. If the Yankees had signed Choo, it would have been hailed as the move of the century

Hey, it's the NY Yankees and then there's the rest of the US of A. It's always been this way. Believe it or not, the media is more fair about it today than they were in years past.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to use your real name as on facebook.

Not really. I've got as fake a name as you could ask to set up an account on that friggin facebook. Be glad when they go away as an entity actually.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing which always was foremost about that site to me was the amount of abusive trollers which roamed the landscape. Good for nothing's other than to piss on the fire types.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They said Gentry would start in LF. I told them he would not start and they got a little huffy. Did not know he was not playing for the Rangers.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing which always was foremost about that site to me was the amount of abusive trollers which roamed the landscape. Good for nothing's other than to piss on the fire types.
That was terrible. Took a lot of pleasure out of posting. This board is so much better.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could always go back and run them off their own board?

I prefer to let them stew in their own cesspool. If they're over there it means they're not here, and that's a win in my book.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was thinking, the Fielder deal really helped this signing. We did get Fielder for roughly 10mill/year,
add Choo's 18.5/mill
so round that up 29 million if you like, then divide it, we essentially picked up Fielder and Choo for 14.5mill/year per player-7 years
Are you freaking kidding me? That's great stuff. One of the best sluggers and OBP guys and one of the best OBP/leadoff's who also has some power.

14.5mill/year for these two, I dare anyone to say that's an overpay for those two players.
this is in response to the major criticism of an overpay that I've read (and had to hear about today)...look at the whole picture is my point.
JD rocked this thing

HEY Oakland, we're back bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent Lainey. You can't look at discrete moves in a vacuum. You have to always look at the big picture.

Hard to keep up to speed on board posting especially this offseason thread. You go away for an hour or two and you are five pages behind.

With the number of posters in our populace now ... we need to find a structure that parses out the topics better. SportsHoopla guys have been great but we need architecture more like the old old ESPN system we had before we all left there three years ago.