• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's exactly what it was, and it worked

I'm not against Tanaka, but he should be paid as a #3 starter, no more

so a dozen teams see him as a potential #1 or #2 but you would only offer #3 pay. what's the difference between what's paid to a #2 or #3

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any teams see him as a number one. I think they view his ceiling as being a number one, but he isn't a bonafide ace. Most scouting reports see him as a middle of the rotation guy, and not that my opinion matters, but thats what it looks like to me too

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so a dozen teams see him as a potential #1 or #2 but you would only offer #3 pay. what's the difference between what's paid to a #2 or #3

I'm not sure that's true Scotty.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Scotty ... all I know is business ... never been a ML GM ... but I'm thinking if you walk into a negotiation with the idea that they guy you are wanting to sign will be your #1 or #2 ... that his agent is going to want a whole lot more money from you than if you start the conversation off that the guy might be a #3 and what #3 pay might be.

Make the agent convince you why you should pay his guy more than the guys you have at #1 and #2. If he can't convince you ... well ... then his guy's no better than a #3. If you start out having a conversation about an unproven guy you want to pay #1 money for ... well ... that's dumb I think.

But I have never been a GM ...

Sexy

Emotion in Motion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overpaid, overrated, over-hyped. That's what was said by countless scouts and 'analysts' about Darvish two years ago and now they're eating their own words.
We won't know whether Tanaka will turn out to be a smart investment until we see him take the mound as an MLB pitcher.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any teams see him as a number one. I think they view his ceiling as being a number one, but he isn't a bonafide ace. Most scouting reports see him as a middle of the rotation guy, and not that my opinion matters, but thats what it looks like to me too

i should have used the word potentially as a #1 or 2 and all the conversations concerning him have indicated that his potential contract value is in the 5 or 6 year range at around $15-18M per year.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scotty ... all I know is business ... never been a ML GM ... but I'm thinking if you walk into a negotiation with the idea that they guy you are wanting to sign will be your #1 or #2 ... that his agent is going to want a whole lot more money from you than if you start the conversation off that the guy might be a #3 and what #3 pay might be.

Make the agent convince you why you should pay his guy more than the guys you have at #1 and #2. If he can't convince you ... well ... then his guy's no better than a #3. If you start out having a conversation about an unproven guy you want to pay #1 money for ... well ... that's dumb I think.

But I have never been a GM ...

agree but how many #3's are spoke of in the 15-18M range?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Overpaid, overrated, over-hyped. That's what was said by countless scouts and 'analysts' about Darvish two years ago and now they're eating their own words.
We won't know whether Tanaka will turn out to be a smart investment until we see him take the mound as an MLB pitcher.

Well ... a team could save all that money being wasted on top-notch scouting if you just wait until they are on a ML mound to see if a pitcher is any good or not.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why Darvish's contract should impact Tanaka's worth. Totally different circumstances in their negotiations with the new posting rules.

As far as Tanaka's stuff, I'll leave it to our very capable scouts to decide bc I have no clue.

The few scouting reports I've read indicate the upside of not being as high as Darvish. Doesn't have the heat. But then again, Darvish considers himself a breaking ball pitcher. Now, this makes me crazy.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well ... a team could save all that money being wasted on top-notch scouting if you just wait until they are on a ML mound to see if a pitcher is any good or not.

Touche sir......scouting pro baseball and college football recruiting are same-same to me. At least they remind me of one another.

You won't really know until after the fact if the guy is as good as his hype. But ya gotta do your homework in advance regardless, and make a decision one way or the other.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's speaking? Probably not any GMs negotiating the deal.

only repeating what i've read. it appears per the stories that he will probably end up with a contract of at a minimum 5 years and 75-80M and possible as high as 6 years and 100-120M. and including the Rangers other teams involved in the Tanaka derby include the Yankees(of course), the Dodgers, the Cubs(?), the Diamondbacks and several others

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only repeating what i've read. it appears per the stories that he will probably end up with a contract of at a minimum 5 years and 75-80M and possible as high as 6 years and 100-120M. and including the Rangers other teams involved in the Tanaka derby include the Yankees(of course), the Dodgers, the Cubs(?), the Diamondbacks and several others

Are we sure the Rangers will still be in On Tanaka after the Choo signing? Let me know if I missed something there.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you guys rather spend around half (years and money) for a DH while trading for a pitcher, or give around 6/110 to Tanaka? I think I would rather add a DH and possibly move Moreland & Sardinas + for pitching depth.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Touche sir......scouting pro baseball and college football recruiting are same-same to me. At least they remind me of one another.

You won't really know until after the fact if the guy is as good as his hype. But ya gotta do your homework in advance regardless, and make a decision one way or the other.

Teams don't make decisions based on hype. Only talking heads and teams with second division farm system propose or make decisions on hype.