• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you guys rather spend around half (years and money) for a DH while trading for a pitcher, or give around 6/110 to Tanaka? I think I would rather add a DH and possibly move Moreland & Sardinas + for pitching depth.

I say we need to focus on a dh, but the club may really be happy to move forward with Mitch as dh. I'm not sure that's what I would do, but if the club believes that much in him I feel they've earned my benefit of doubt.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
only repeating what i've read. it appears per the stories that he will probably end up with a contract of at a minimum 5 years and 75-80M and possible as high as 6 years and 100-120M. and including the Rangers other teams involved in the Tanaka derby include the Yankees(of course), the Dodgers, the Cubs(?), the Diamondbacks and several others

Scotty ... you are making my point. Teams aren't talking ... just those talking heads who make money by having you read their stuff. The talking heads actually don't know much more than you do. They are just professional speculators ... and live in those big media towns that tend to make decisions based on what talking heads say. It's kinda a circle.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say we need to focus on a dh, but the club may really be happy to move forward with Mitch as dh. I'm not sure that's what I would do, but if the club believes that much in him I feel they've earned my benefit of doubt.

That's pretty much where I'm at with it. I would prefer to add a bat, but I think Mitch can do the job if he stays healthy. I think we will be priced out fairly quickly on Tanaka.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Are we sure the Rangers will still be in On Tanaka after the Choo signing? Let me know if I missed something there.

IMO TEX is said to be "in on" everyone whether they are or they aren't.

IMO whether they signed Choo or not ought to not decide for them as to be "in on" Tanaka or not unless MLB has established some sort of limit on the number of asian players a team can have on their roster or something like that.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would you guys rather spend around half (years and money) for a DH while trading for a pitcher, or give around 6/110 to Tanaka? I think I would rather add a DH and possibly move Moreland & Sardinas + for pitching depth.

Cruz or Morales..... Gives this team flexibility in the outfield rotations if we get Cruz and Morales is a switch hitter which would also help the lineup match up with pitchers. I think Mitch has had plenty of chances, he needs a change of scenery.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cruz or Morales..... Gives this team flexibility in the outfield rotations if we get Cruz and Morales is a switch hitter which would also help the lineup match up with pitchers. I think Mitch has had plenty of chances, he needs a change of scenery.

I disagree.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure the Yankees will money whip Tanaka and let them. I would think JD will give Cruz every chance to come back, within reason, before deciding to stand pat.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Am way up here in Arkansas ... like you are up in Oklahoma ... so at least I may not be as plugged in on what TEX exactly is saying. But I am pretty sure TEX will say its 'all in' on Mitch DHing being that he seems to all of a sudden have a bunch of PT that needs to be filled. Otherwise ... throwing him under the bus and not even regard him as a DH possibility might affect what they might get for him yet.

I agree ... focus first is always on making your pitching system better than it was yesterday ... and DH. As we said way back in the summer TEX needed upgrades in the corners ... and it has done that very nicely. We also know that TEX will never ever ever make the same mistake it made signing a Lance Berkman ever ever again never.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am way up here in Arkansas ... like you are up in Oklahoma ... so at least I may not be as plugged in on what TEX exactly is saying. But I am pretty sure TEX will say its 'all in' on Mitch DHing being that he seems to all of a sudden have a bunch of PT that needs to be filled. Otherwise ... throwing him under the bus and not even regard him as a DH possibility might affect what they might get for him yet.

I agree ... focus first is always on making your pitching system better than it was yesterday ... and DH. As we said way back in the summer TEX needed upgrades in the corners ... and it has done that very nicely. We also know that TEX will never ever ever make the same mistake it made signing a Lance Berkman ever ever again never.

Agreed. I'm just saying that whether they sign a dh or roll with Mitch, I'll defer to their judgement.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not sign cruz or morales? There are a lot of people here that seem content with where we're at and that's cool and all. But many people have stated correctly that there is about a 4 year window to win that we're lookin at. Why not sign morales to a 3 year deal and then get the best pitcher possible? If we're in this, we're in it. There's no "well we can just settle with so and so at dh and so and so at #5 spot in the rotation." If your chips are all in then that's what they are. Sign morales to a 3 year deal. We still have a little bit of money left. Trade moreland and an outfielder along with some prospects for a great pitcher. Make it basically a done deal is my point. I wanna be world series favorites, not ALW favorites, although its nice. Leave no doubt who should win this thing. Then, when our chips are in and we're in the playoffs, there are no excuses

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not sign cruz or morales? There are a lot of people here that seem content with where we're at and that's cool and all. But many people have stated correctly that there is about a 4 year window to win that we're lookin at. Why not sign morales to a 3 year deal and then get the best pitcher possible? If we're in this, we're in it. There's no "well we can just settle with so and so at dh and so and so at #5 spot in the rotation." If your chips are all in then that's what they are. Sign morales to a 3 year deal. We still have a little bit of money left. Trade moreland and an outfielder along with some prospects for a great pitcher. Make it basically a done deal is my point. I wanna be world series favorites, not ALW favorites, although its nice. Leave no doubt who should win this thing. Then, when our chips are in and we're in the playoffs, there are no excuses
Well put and I firmly agree. We should have but one goal. World series and asap

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I tend to agree with you Terps. Plus I have a hard time being in Moreland's corner. I was all behind him last year and was just not impressed. I do not feel comfortable with him when the game is on the line. I would love to be proven different. And as stated above the Rangers may be pumping the Moreland propoganda to build him up for trade bait.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw where some guy on MLBTR has Ogando penciled into the starting rotation. I did not think that was a given.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed. I'm just saying that whether they sign a dh or roll with Mitch, I'll defer to their judgement.

yep.

I think we all agree that IF JD developed a better option at 3b (just as an example) that made the team better he'd explore it. Ditto DH. Mitch may be the DH (at least against RHP) until he isn't.

It may look like TEX is 'in on' Morales ... or that may be what they want people to think. I kind of agree with you ... I don't think Morales is an answer just because he has played 1b. IMO Morales is one step away from the same lack of mobility and injury history as the last switch hitting DH TEX had on its roster.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with you Terps. Plus I have a hard time being in Moreland's corner. I was all behind him last year and was just not impressed. I do not feel comfortable with him when the game is on the line. I would love to be proven different. And as stated above the Rangers may be pumping the Moreland propoganda to build him up for trade bait.
Yeah, I'd be worried about Moreland's psyche if he's the DH next year. Won't have his great defense to hide behind if he starts out slow. The burden would be on him to hit. How patient would we be then.