• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was spraying the ball to all fields when he got hurt.

Injuries are not an excuse in professional sports.... Performance on the field is all that matters. If he couldn't contribute, they should of played someone who could.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries are not an excuse in professional sports.... Performance on the field is all that matters. If he couldn't contribute, they should of played someone who could.

He contributed more than Murphy did.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Write a book and see if it sells. Tell me Harry and Colby should have been pitching since there is no excuse for being injured. FAIL

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not an excuse. I was contradicting your overall opinion that Mitch needs to play somewhere else. He might be traded, but I wanted to point out that he was doing his job, and well, when he got hurt.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your assessment is inaccurate. He struck out the most in low leverage situations. In high leverage situations Moreland had his lowest K rate and highest BB rate. His average in those situations was ghastly though. But he struck out less than 20% of the time while hitting in them.

Ok... I can admit I'm wrong. I usually watch 100 games a year. Maybe he just screwed up in the games I saw. Keep up the good work. You and Terps are the best posters here.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He contributed more than Murphy did.

That isn't saying much...... Lol

It's not an excuse. I was contradicting your overall opinion that Mitch needs to play somewhere else. He might be traded, but I wanted to point out that he was doing his job, and well, when he got hurt.

I'll gladly eat crow if the guy plays well this year for us or somebody else. I think his biggest asset is his defense, and with fielder that asset will be neutralized. Most Ranger fans should hope he gets traded and I think he will.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Spoken like a true arm chair quarterback.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be possible that the injury lingered for Mitch but I do not know that for certain so I am not disagreeing the point made. My problem is that the year before he was also hurt and played in 114 games. The first month back in August he hit 329 with 5 HRs and 20 RBIs in 85 ABs but in September hit 221 with 0 HRs and 5 RBIs in 77 ABs. I want to feel good about the guy and I like him as a person. So like I said if he is back with the Rangers in 2014 I hope he tears it up. But is this going to become a trend with Mitch going on the DL halfway thru the season.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do really hope they find away to have Baker around if they don't play on doing Morales or Cruz for DH, because damn I don't like having Mitch be the primary DH for this club. He was right at league average against RHP, and honestly we need better out of a person who's only job is to hit. I like Mitch. He's a great guy and been a professional the whole time he's been here. He's done all that Texas has asked of him.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mitch could be a solid DH here, or he could be moved. Me, Ihope the 1B market dries up and we can get something for him. He has value in the field, so the ideal scenario would be to pair up with an NL team that has an aging bat who can't play the field very well and swap players. It's not fair to Mitch to play him only at DH when he has value defensively. So let his value help us out, move him if we can get something of value for him.

Or wait for the trade deadline and see if a 1B gets hurt on a contender. Then he REALLY has value.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You shouldn't. You'll see a battle between ogando, tepesch, Ross, Lewis, and another pitcher or two for that fifth spot.

Been thinking about this for awhile as many have here ... I see Colby in long relief if he doesn't come into camp pitching like he's a #2 again. And Ogando may be penciled into the #5 spot to give Tepesch something to shoot at. He won the vacant spot against all comers last ST (including Ross) ... no reason why Tepesch can't win the job again.

Those who don't have much faith in Tepesch rookie season ... might want to compare his performance against Harrison and Holland in their rookie seasons:

Harrison ... 15GS ... 83.2IP ... 1.566WHIP ... 5.49ERA
Holland .... 21GS ... 117.0IP ... 1.487WHIP ... 6.23ERA
Tepesch ... 17GS ... 88.2IP ... 1.353WHIP ... 4.87ERA

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do really hope they find away to have Baker around if they don't play on doing Morales or Cruz for DH, because damn I don't like having Mitch be the primary DH for this club. He was right at league average against RHP, and honestly we need better out of a person who's only job is to hit. I like Mitch. He's a great guy and been a professional the whole time he's been here. He's done all that Texas has asked of him.

Man, I swear I heard someone had picked Baker up but now I can't find it. I was bummed out, so glad that maybe there is a way to bring him back.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be possible that the injury lingered for Mitch but I do not know that for certain so I am not disagreeing the point made. My problem is that the year before he was also hurt and played in 114 games. The first month back in August he hit 329 with 5 HRs and 20 RBIs in 85 ABs but in September hit 221 with 0 HRs and 5 RBIs in 77 ABs. I want to feel good about the guy and I like him as a person. So like I said if he is back with the Rangers in 2014 I hope he tears it up. But is this going to become a trend with Mitch going on the DL halfway thru the season.

I'm not saying I want to keep him or trade him. I said already I'll defer to the judgement of the club. But to just want to toss him on the scrap heap with that attitude is foolish. This is the same clown that bitched and moaned about Davis tearing it up in Baltimore multiple times last season.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the $20,000 question, isn't it. (Money may change due to inflation). Heard once you pull a hamstring you are more prone to do it again. Same with AB. And Cruz for that matter.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been thinking about this for awhile as many have here ... I see Colby in long relief if he doesn't come into camp pitching like he's a #2 again. And Ogando may be penciled into the #5 spot to give Tepesch something to shoot at. He won the vacant spot against all comers last ST (including Ross) ... no reason why Tepesch can't win the job again.

Those who don't have much faith in Tepesch rookie season ... might want to compare his performance against Harrison and Holland in their rookie seasons:

The other thing we cannot forget the guy was brought up from AA. That is quite the jump.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tepesch and his sinker are exactly what could fill out the back end of our rotation nicely.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I swear I heard someone had picked Baker up but now I can't find it. I was bummed out, so glad that maybe there is a way to bring him back.

san francisco did but for some reason they either released him or something was wrong with his physical or something

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tepesch just doesn't have the stuff that those two do though. Nick will never be anything more than a 4 or 5 pitcher with his pitches. Holland and Harrison both had higher ceilings from the start.

Edit: I don't think that is a bad thing though. Every team needs a 5th starter.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the $20,000 question, isn't it. (Money may change due to inflation). Heard once you pull a hamstring you are more prone to do it again. Same with AB. And Cruz for that matter.

But AB is like the the Black Knight in the Holy Grail. You could cut his leg off and to him it would be a flesh wound and he would still be out there playing. :laugh3: