• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
... so the ideal scenario would be to pair up with an NL team that has an aging bat who can't play the field very well and swap players. ...

Or wait for the trade deadline and see if a 1B gets hurt on a contender. Then he REALLY has value.

1. You mean swap for a Lance Berkman 2.0? I'll pass.

2. Trade deadline is about dead as a major event IMO. Also not sure why you would carry Moreland on your 25man simply to be a trade piece for a contender. To have any value for a contender he would need to be red hot in which case why would you trade him and help another team?

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, another option we could look at is trading moreland for an established DH, and then simply signing an ervin santana or actually trying to go for tanaka. This would be an option that I wouldn't like nearly as much, but it is there for sure.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really that sold on the idea that JD gets in some bidding war for Tanaka, nor am I worried that we sign him.

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, another option we could look at is trading moreland for an established DH, and then simply signing an ervin santana or actually trying to go for tanaka. This would be an option that I wouldn't like nearly as much, but it is there for sure.

I'd stay as far away from Santana as I possibly could, that man is the picture of inconsistency.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do really hope they find away to have Baker around if they don't play on doing Morales or Cruz for DH, because damn I don't like having Mitch be the primary DH for this club. He was right at league average against RHP, and honestly we need better out of a person who's only job is to hit. I like Mitch. He's a great guy and been a professional the whole time he's been here. He's done all that Texas has asked of him.

I don't like having him at DH either… if he is going to be in the lineup he should be at 1B… but I get what you are saying too. Honestly I hope there is some other plan for the DH spot. I agree though.. I like mitch too and I do think he has potential but we haven't seen a full season of it yet.

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really that sold on the idea that JD gets in some bidding war for Tanaka, nor am I worried that we sign him.

Agreed, the Yankees and other pitching starved teams will probably be willing to spend tons of money to get him.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sexy is right tons of people in the media were saying that the Rangers paid to much and were taking a huge risk on Darvish. I mean this is just a couple of articles quick search, but when we signed him the were tons of editorials arguing that the Rangers made a mistake:

Texas Rangers Make $108 Million Gamble With Yu Darvish - Forbes

Yu Darvish: Rangers Pitcher Will Never Live Up to Huge Contract and Posting Cost | Bleacher Report

lol at the Bleacher Report, although that's usually a given

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol at the Bleacher Report, although that's usually a given

Yeah, they are always a little over the top for me too. Seems like ESPN editorialists were all over the Rangers about it too. Seriously its crazy how many of these "analyst's" out there keep there jobs… I mean it seems like many of them are wrong more often than not, it just seems like no one ever goes back and calls them on it.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish there was a way we could still squeeze Cruz in at DH but I pretty confident he still wants to play the OF and that he will cost beyond what they are willing to do. But if they could that would be a pretty scary line up:

1. Choo(L), LF
2. Andrus(R), SS
3. Fielder(L), 1B
4. Beltre(R), 3B
5. Cruz(R), DH
6. Rios (R), RF
7. Profar (S), 2B
8. Soto(R), C
9. Martin (L), CF

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tepesch just doesn't have the stuff that those two do though. Nick will never be anything more than a 4 or 5 pitcher with his pitches. Holland and Harrison both had higher ceilings from the start.

Edit: I don't think that is a bad thing though. Every team needs a 5th starter.

Which is the spot he is contending for. And until Harrison is back and up to 2011 speed ... Ogando remains in the mix.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is the spot he is contending for. And until Harrison is back and up to 2011 speed ... Ogando remains in the mix.

I'm holding to my belief that Ogando is not durable as a starter, I said it before the season last year and I'm saying it again...
however, I love him out of the pen.

fingers crossed for Harrison, Colby and Tepesch, assuming no other moves are made
if reports and studies are to be believed, Harrison should be okay

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they are always a little over the top for me too. Seems like ESPN editorialists were all over the Rangers about it too. Seriously its crazy how many of these "analyst's" out there keep there jobs… I mean it seems like many of them are wrong more often than not, it just seems like no one ever goes back and calls them on it.

right, "Yu will never live up" was a ridiculous claim...those who called it a "gamble", is a little more palatable, even though they were wrong.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Heads don't get fired for being wrong... they get fired if they don't create the page views. Being wrong actually can increase page views.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sexy is right tons of people in the media were saying that the Rangers paid to much and were taking a huge risk on Darvish. I mean this is just a couple of articles quick search, but when we signed him the were tons of editorials arguing that the Rangers made a mistake:

Texas Rangers Make $108 Million Gamble With Yu Darvish - Forbes

Yu Darvish: Rangers Pitcher Will Never Live Up to Huge Contract and Posting Cost | Bleacher Report

Respected writer Peter Gammons said Henderson Alvarez would have more wins in 5 years before 2012 season...Yu is up 29 to 15 right now.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right, "Yu will never live up" was a ridiculous claim...those who called it a "gamble", is a little more palatable, even though they were wrong.

Well it was most definitely a gamble, but it wasn't a long shot like some other moves Texas has made. 6 years ago on Dec 21st Texas made a huge gamble that paid off in spades. They traded two pitchers for a an oft injured CFer with great middle of the order power potential.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it was most definitely a gamble, but it wasn't a long shot like some other moves Texas has made. 6 years ago on Dec 21st Texas made a huge gamble that paid off in spades. They traded two pitchers for a an oft injured CFer with great middle of the order power potential.

Hamilton, one of JD's best moves