• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's only a gamble when you don't account for cost and risk against potential reward.

Unfortunately too many don't know they are gambling when they are. When luck is part of your equation ... then that is assuredly gambling.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he would have lost his job if that one flopped. It was a ballsy move.

I'm not sure he would have lost his job Rev....he did a lot of homework as far as Hamilton's efforts to stay sober, we are talking about a guy that was a first round draft pick out of HS, so JD and others knew the talent was there.
Gamble, sure it was...I don't think he would have been fired though
I guess it doesn't really matter now, it certainly worked out for the Rangers

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it was most definitely a gamble, but it wasn't a long shot like some other moves Texas has made. 6 years ago on Dec 21st Texas made a huge gamble that paid off in spades. They traded two pitchers for a an oft injured CFer with great middle of the order power potential.

Wow, I didn't realize it was 6 years almost to the day. Kinda crazy, or not really I guess
heh

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure he would have lost his job Rev....he did a lot of homework as far as Hamilton's efforts to stay sober, we are talking about a guy that was a first round draft pick out of HS, so JD and others knew the talent was there.
Gamble, sure it was...I don't think he would have been fired though
I guess it doesn't really matter now, it certainly worked out for the Rangers

This was after the Danks for McCarthy trade mind you. JD could have easily been fired if the trade failed. Texas also hadn't even seen the start of the Andrus or Feliz in the majors yet. It was a pretty crazy time for the franchise.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only a gamble when you don't account for cost and risk against potential reward.

Unfortunately too many don't know they are gambling when they are. When luck is part of your equation ... then that is assuredly gambling.

I don't disagree, but bad luck is always part of the equation no matter how well you've weighed the risk vs reward, (I'm thinking injuries) so in that sense...it's somewhat of a gamble
but if the cost was low then you're still correct

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was after the Danks for McCarthy trade mind you. JD could have easily been fired if the trade failed. Texas also hadn't even seen the start of the Andrus or Feliz in the majors yet. It was a pretty crazy time for the franchise.

maybe you're right, I don't really know...just glad it did work out

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe you're right, I don't really know...just glad it did work out

Nolan also took over in Feb of 2008. It was his patience with JD that was very important. Nolan thankfully did not do anything to upset the progress.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nolan also took over in Feb of 2008. It was his patience with JD that was very important. Nolan thankfully did not do anything to upset the progress.

Nolan deserves some credit, it certainly was a great run.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JD had a tough start. He traded Soriano for Brad Wilkerson, Armando Galarraga and Sledge and later traded Sledge, Christ Young and Adrian Gonzalez to the Padres for Adam Eaton, Otsuka and Gillian. Then the Danks-McCarthy trade. I think that was the last straw for JD. Ever since then and I know that no GM is perfect but his moves since then have been much wiser. I think he really learned from all of that.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to agree on the Three Stooges, still don't get it, but WRONG on the Holy Grail

:D

You are different in that you are out here on this board posting and you know what in the world is going on in regards to the Rangers. My wife would not touch this board. And I am thankful for that. :rollseyes:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You shouldn't. You'll see a battle between ogando, tepesch, Ross, Lewis, and another pitcher or two for that fifth spot.

god i hope not. those aren't what i want to see as our #5 but i'll trust JD

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda crazy that most of our 2010 and 2011 WS teams are now broken up. The only guys from the 2010 line up that are still around are Moreland and Andrus, and Moreland might not be on the team come Spring Training. Then I think the only person you can add in there from the 2011 team is Beltre. Other that its a completely different team now offensively. The rotation is a lot different too.

Not saying this is a bad thing for the future of this team but it does sort of bother me, I mean the core of our AL championship teams is no more and I really wanted to see those guys win together. I hope I am wrong but I really think we will miss Cruz's run production.

That was a great team but sometimes I think the fewer players left from the 2011 season may be for the best. I really think some of them were really affected mentally by the ending and it was a weight whether they wanted to admit it or not. Mostly talking about position players. The guys left from that season in Beltre and Andrus I believe can handle it.

I can agree with you on Cruz as he can really carry a team when on a roll.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scotty ... you are making my point. Teams aren't talking ... just those talking heads who make money by having you read their stuff. The talking heads actually don't know much more than you do. They are just professional speculators ... and live in those big media towns that tend to make decisions based on what talking heads say. It's kinda a circle.

have to wait and see.i think you see him get close to what Yu got

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have to wait and see.i think you see him get close to what Yu got

If he does I think it will because they will be thinking they are getting someone like Yu. When Yu was available there was a lot of negative talk about many of the Japanese pitchers who previously came to the MLB. But with the success Yu is having now that seems to be in their brain even if he is not a Yu type pitcher.

kdm1218

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I just saw the dumbest comments ever on ESPN... Basically JD = Jerry Jones. Wow, just wow. Same guy also said we were idiots to deal CJ Edwards and should have just called him up instead of making the Garza trade "to get him that experience."

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I just saw the dumbest comments ever on ESPN... Basically JD = Jerry Jones. Wow, just wow. Same guy also said we were idiots to deal CJ Edwards and should have just called him up instead of making the Garza trade "to get him that experience."

That pretty much mirrors our sentiments about the morons over there.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Then what that knucklehead is saying is lets wait until next year. That was a Ranger philosophy from the past that I was fed up with. I want us to always be playing for NOW.