• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not looking for a world beater just something better than a spot-on-the-roster eater between Perez at 4 & Darvish at 1. none of them are even worthy of that except for Ogando and i think he's destine for the BP and i think both Tepesch and Lewis will spend significant time in the minors before they see anytime with the Rangers.

You prove your ignorance with posts like this

How do you know Tepesch isn't worth the 5 spot? based on last year, when he did ok with a jump from AA to the majors?

His performance LAST YEAR was ok by #5 standards, how bout we give him ST before casting him asunder

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not looking for a world beater just something better than a spot-on-the-roster eater between Perez at 4 & Darvish at 1. none of them are even worthy of that except for Ogando and i think he's destine for the BP and i think both Tepesch and Lewis will spend significant time in the minors before they see anytime with the Rangers.

Why would you think Tepesch would need additional time in the minors? And if Lewis shows up healthy, then it will all be a matter of does he have anything left question IMO.

I'm sticking with going to spring training and let Lewis, Tepesch, Ogando and maybe Ross, battle it out. And to me ideally, either Tepesch or Lewis comes through so we can move Ogando back to the BP.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Chuck Greenberg he still lives in the area. I personally thought he was great for the organization during his time until Nolan flexed his muscles and booted him out. I'd like to see him back a part of the organization in some capacity.

If memory serves, Greenberg got bagged for acting like a dick at the winter meetings, and then went behind Nolan's back when we were trying to resign Cliff Lee.

I'm working off my sometimes poor memory, but the Cliff Lee incident seemed ridiculous at the time.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If she's that person, she has not clued us in to her new persona

I don't know Ginger, but Spice Sadie isn't like what you described at all...she's a very polite fan that likes to watch the games with some of us.
I'm agreeing with you

From what I remember I liked Cedar Tree, and another woman, I can't remember her name, but that was ESPN
anyway....

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I just saw the dumbest comments ever on ESPN... Basically JD = Jerry Jones. Wow, just wow. Same guy also said we were idiots to deal CJ Edwards and should have just called him up instead of making the Garza trade "to get him that experience."

oh boy...that's why I rarely read over there

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do you know Tepesch isn't worth the 5 spot? based on last year, when he did ok with a jump from AA to the majors?

His performance LAST YEAR was ok by #5 standards, how bout we give him ST before casting him asunder

you're right we got a great full season out of him

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad luck is factored into risk. That includes injury potential. Hamilton's cost (Volquez+Herrera) was low which when incorporating full risk assessment was outweighed by the potential upside. This move was not a gamble when considering what the potential upside of a troublesome SP and a diminutive RP.

I agree, I don't view that move as a big gamble....only deferred to Rev's opinion that had Hamilton dissapeared quickly, maybe JD would have been in more danger, I just don't know how close he was to being fired

hate to repeat myself, but it worked...Hamilton lived up, and JD is safe. 2009 season was a little scary, but I honestly thought if he stays sober, (not get kicked out of the League) this might be great
(we all were able to see the potential in the 2008 HR derby)

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I expect 10 to 12 wins from a #5. I consider his 4-6 performance well below par

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't bother reading the Bleacher Report article, b/c those are garbage when it comes to anything analytical

The Forbes article's main premise was... It's a gamble b/c it's a lot of money, AND "On the other, Darvish has to contend with an ominous trend of Japanese starting pitchers who have signed lucrative contracts but failed to perform on the field."

You're gonna have to come harder than that

I already admitted people had doubts b/c 100+ million was a lot of money and the recent trend of Japanese pitchers was dubious at best

But none of it was b/c Darvish was overrated or overhyped

Wow, are you really this impenetrably stubborn and hard headed? Sexy said that people in the media were saying that Darvish was over-hyped, over paid, and overrated at the time of his signing. This is a true statement. Just because you never don't recall, don't agree with (neither did I), or never read these articles… doesn't mean they didn't exist. I mean you are smarter than that aren't you? In this day and age, there is pretty much an article out there for every possible way there is to spin a specific news event, especially in sports. Here are some more examples for you:

Overrated
Overrated? That was initial report on Yu Darvish - Dallas Texas Rangers Blog - ESPN Dallas

2012 MLB Free Agency: Yu Darvish and 25 Most Overrated Offseason Targets | Bleacher Report

Overpaid
Don?t Overpay For Darvish | FanGraphs Baseball

Rangers Overpay for Yu Darvish | Pigskin Domination

Over hyped

5 Over-Hyped Players: To Buy or Not to Buy | Scoops Baseball

On Second Thought: Overhyped Athletes - The State Hornet: Home

So there you have it. It was out there. You may not agree with it ( I don't either), but it still existed and still even does to some degree today. Seriously though, do you sometimes just disagree with people just to do it?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Scotty ... So who then? Give us a name. Do you suggest TEX trade for a #5 or pickup one in FA? What makes whoever that guy better than the potential #5s they already have?

And I still don't think you realize Tepesch' rookie numbers were better than both Harrison's or Holland's numbers when they were rookies. You must have missed these numbers I posted yesterday ...

Harrison ... 15GS ... 83.2IP ... 1.566WHIP ... 5.49ERA
Holland .... 21GS ... 117.0IP ... 1.487WHIP ... 6.23ERA
Tepesch ... 17GS ... 88.2IP ... 1.353WHIP ... 4.87ERA

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know Ginger, but Spice Sadie isn't like what you described at all...she's a very polite fan that likes to watch the games with some of us.
I'm agreeing with you

From what I remember I liked Cedar Tree, and another woman, I can't remember her name, but that was ESPN
anyway....

Well Ginger was usually really polite but some people really started to bag on her for some reason, I forget the difference of opinion,

Despite being a Cardinals fan, she was really in tune with the Rangers and was a positive poster

We didn't always agree but it was usually more pleasant than not

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think she had some differing views on things that some posters took issue with and when she couldn't handle the disagreements and she decided to stop posting here, Romeo might remember better, I generally avoided conversations with her b/c I didn't agree with her point of view and it seemed like a pointless venture, turns out I was right

her being a Cardinals fan didn't help mattersThats the best I can remember, if someone remembers better please share, but it wasn't me that drove her off

The Cardinal thing is what I remember. I think some Rangers posters got sideways with her when she became pro Cardinals during the 2011 WS.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect 10 to 12 wins from a #5. I consider his 4-6 performance well below par

Then you must have been immensely disappointed in our # 1 starter then since he only won 13? Same for our # 2 with 10?

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scotty ... So who then? Give us a name. Do you suggest TEX trade for a #5 or pickup one in FA? What makes whoever that guy better than the potential #5s they already have?

And I still don't think you realize Tepesch' rookie numbers were better than both Harrison's or Holland's numbers when they were rookies. You must have missed these numbers I posted yesterday ...

Harrison ... 15GS ... 83.2IP ... 1.566WHIP ... 5.49ERA
Holland .... 21GS ... 117.0IP ... 1.487WHIP ... 6.23ERA
Tepesch ... 17GS ... 88.2IP ... 1.353WHIP ... 4.87ERA

If he stays healthy, Tepesch is my dark horse pick for our #5 guy in the rotation.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, are you really this impenetrably stubborn and hard headed? Sexy said that people in the media were saying that Darvish was over-hyped, over paid, and overrated at the time of his signing. This is a true statement. Just because you never don't recall, don't agree with (neither did I), or never read these articles… doesn't mean they didn't exist. I mean you are smarter than that aren't you? In this day and age, there is pretty much an article out there for every possible way there is to spin a specific news event, especially in sports. Here are some more examples for you:

Overrated
Overrated? That was initial report on Yu Darvish - Dallas Texas Rangers Blog - ESPN Dallas

2012 MLB Free Agency: Yu Darvish and 25 Most Overrated Offseason Targets | Bleacher Report

Overpaid
Don?t Overpay For Darvish | FanGraphs Baseball

Rangers Overpay for Yu Darvish | Pigskin Domination

Over hyped

5 Over-Hyped Players: To Buy or Not to Buy | Scoops Baseball

On Second Thought: Overhyped Athletes - The State Hornet: Home

So there you have it. It was out there. You may not agree with it ( I don't either), but it still existed and still even does to some degree today. Seriously though, do you sometimes just disagree with people just to do it?

You like to disagree with me everytime I say something so you're no better, quit trying to be so high and mighty

Ok, there was some people who thought Darvish was overrated, I still see most of these articles base it on the past reputation of Japanese pitchers not Darvish's stuff itself

Moving on, Tanaka, based on the same people I read before with Darvish (who were correct by the way), say Tanaka is a 2 at best and most likely a 3, possibly a 4

Tanaka screams as a move just for the sake of making a move, we're beyond that point, we need to now look for pieces that fit and are cost effective (doesn't mean cheap)

Tanaka doesn't fit that criteria (what was being said about Darvish & Japanese pitchers I think will end up applying to Tanaka)

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinal thing is what I remember. I think some Rangers posters got sideways with her when she became pro Cardinals during the 2011 WS.

I was outta the country in 2011. But had I been here, and posting, then had someone go pro Cardinal on me, I'd twisted off on her.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you must have been immensely disappointed in our # 1 starter then since he only won 13? Same for our # 2 with 10?

well stated

Also have to keep in mind Tep got hurt and only started about half the season

Not to mention he's only looking at W-L record (no surprise there)

Fangraph's numbers on Tep, 1.2 WAR in 17 starts (19 appearances) is pretty solid for a #5, and love that GB% but he had a little trouble with the long ball, but that's probably correctable with time

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-23 at 12.35.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-23 at 12.35.16 PM.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 67

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he stays healthy, Tepesch is my dark horse pick for our #5 guy in the rotation.

He's got at least a decent shot there.

Me personally, I'm cheering for Colby to come back. Not only does it fill the bill for the # 5 spot with a battler attitude, it also allows us to send Tepesch down. We both know it's highly unlikely we can go through a season and not have someone go down, at least for a little while, and this give us Tep as a call-up.