• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you must have been immensely disappointed in our # 1 starter then since he only won 13? Same for our # 2 with 10?
Probably lost 1 or more due to lack of run support. We all remember that nightmare especially YU. W/L records don't tell the whole story and sooner that is learned sooner some will grasp things a little quicker. Well maybe not. It' been discussed before. Good point you made.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What were they saying about darvish in terms of ceiling when we signed him?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably lost 1 or more due to lack of run support. We all remember that nightmare especially YU. W/L records don't tell the whole story and sooner that is learned sooner some will grasp things a little quicker. Well maybe not. It' been discussed before. Good point you made.

I know he lost at least 4 games 1-0. Which is pretty amazing really.

And yes, there's a lot more to the pitching game than a simple W vs L. I got it.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he lost at least 4 games 1-0. Which is pretty amazing really.

And yes, there's a lot more to the pitching game than a simple W vs L. I got it.
I know you got I. I was supporting why Tep may have lost a game or two that was all on the offense. Sorry for confusion.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was outta the country in 2011. But had I been here, and posting, then had someone go pro Cardinal on me, I'd twisted off on her.

From what I recall she posted here for quite a while as a Rangers fan and was quite good, but I think some thought she was working both sides of the room (JMO) when the WS started and that didn't sit well with some of us.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You like to disagree with me everytime I say something so you're no better, quit trying to be so high and mighty

Ok, there was some people who thought Darvish was overrated, I still see most of these articles base it on the past reputation of Japanese pitchers not Darvish's stuff itself

Moving on, Tanaka, based on the same people I read before with Darvish (who were correct by the way), say Tanaka is a 2 at best and most likely a 3, possibly a 4

Tanaka screams as a move just for the sake of making a move, we're beyond that point, we need to now look for pieces that fit and are cost effective (doesn't mean cheap)

Tanaka doesn't fit that criteria (what was being said about Darvish & Japanese pitchers I think will end up applying to Tanaka)

Actually, I do agree with you on somethings too but it seems like you tend to focus on the things that we don't agree on rather than what we do. For instance here, I completely agree with everything you said about Tanaka. I still wouldn't be against the Rangers going after him though at the right price but I think after picking up Choo that is out of the cards anyway and finding a DH would be a little higher on my priority list.

I am always willing to give a little ground in a discussion or at least consider another persons perspective, you really don't come off that way and it is pretty frustrating to try to have a conversation with someone who already has their mind made up about something before it even starts. I am not really trying to be high and mighty about it or anything, it just really seems like you try hard to find reasons to disagree with people and I am not sure if you are really aware of it. Like in the case of this conversation, it was sort of a silly disagreement that really have no weight in the discussion anyway. Anyway, I know you are a smart guy and know your baseball… that is very evident but I am sure some posters on here would appreciate it if you were a little more diplomatic… thats all and I will leave it at that. I will refrain from posting anything of personal nature again.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you got I. I was supporting why Tep may have lost a game or two that was all on the offense. Sorry for confusion.

No worries mate. In fact, I enjoy posting/bantering with you as well as anyone.

I sent you a not just yesterday. It said, "we should could up with some kind of bet for your Baylor Bears bowl game." haha

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I do agree with you on somethings too but it seems like you tend to focus on the things that we don't agree on rather than what we do. For instance here, I completely agree with everything you said about Tanaka. I still wouldn't be against the Rangers going after him though at the right price but I think after picking up Choo that is out of the cards anyway and finding a DH would be a little higher on my priority list.

I am always willing to give a little ground in a discussion or at least consider another persons perspective, you really don't come off that way and it is pretty frustrating to try to have a conversation with someone who already has their mind made up about something before it even starts. I am not really trying to be high and mighty about it or anything, it just really seems like you try hard to find reasons to disagree with people and I am not sure if you are really aware of it. Like in the case of this conversation, it was sort of a silly disagreement that really have no weight in the discussion anyway. Anyway, I know you are a smart guy and know your baseball… that is very evident but I am sure some posters on here would appreciate it if you were a little more diplomatic… thats all and I will leave it at that. I will refrain from posting anything of personal nature again.

Why do you keep trying to make me aware of things? I'm ABUNDANTLY aware of what I do and say and that it rubs people the wrong way, I DON'T CARE

I call out things that I disagree with, and I usually throw a quick shout out to things I do agree with

People get butt hurt when people disagree with them, that's why my comments of disagreement get more attention or stick in their mind more

Once again, I could care less, I have a strong opinion and I'm willing to change my mind if you have solid reasons to convince me, which is rare, I do my research, but I definitely don't scour the Twitterverse to see what the "talking heads" have to say about something, I go find out myself with numbers and actual video

That's why I could usually care less what people read on some tweet

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No worries mate. In fact, I enjoy posting/bantering with you as well as anyone.

I sent you a not just yesterday. It said, "we should could up with some kind of bet for your Baylor Bears bowl game." haha
I'll take the Bears and give 3. I win you buy. You win, Romeo buys. How's that for a sure winner.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got at least a decent shot there.

Me personally, I'm cheering for Colby to come back. Not only does it fill the bill for the # 5 spot with a battler attitude, it also allows us to send Tepesch down. We both know it's highly unlikely we can go through a season and not have someone go down, at least for a little while, and this give us Tep as a call-up.

If it comes down to Colby or Tepesch then I'll have to pull for Colby. However, I have serious doubts that Colby will make it back if his fastball velocity is still in the mid 80's range. To me, Tepesch has the stuff to succeed if he can keep the ball down and out of the middle of the plate. I think that will come with experience.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take the Bears and give 3. I win you buy. You win, Romeo buys. How's that for a sure winner.

You drive a hard bargain. But I'm in anyway. :suds:

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you keep trying to make me aware of things? I'm ABUNDANTLY aware of what I do and say and that it rubs people the wrong way, I DON'T CARE

I call out things that I disagree with, and I usually throw a quick shout out to things I do agree with

People get butt hurt when people disagree with them, that's why my comments of disagreement get more attention or stick in their mind more

Once again, I could care less, I have a strong opinion and I'm willing to change my mind if you have solid reasons to convince me, which is rare, I do my research, but I definitely don't scour the Twitterverse to see what the "talking heads" have to say about something, I go find out myself with numbers and actual video

That's why I could usually care less what people read on some tweet

Honestly, it never hurts my feeling that you or anyone else disagrees with me… its just that you usually find something in my statement that is of little significance to my overall point to disagree with… same type thing I have seen you do with others on here. I thought if you were aware of it, you might not want to come off that way amongst your peers. Anyway, you don't care about any of this… so all this is a moot point. Now that I know you don't care… I will leave you alone about it.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it comes down to Colby or Tepesch then I'll have to pull for Colby. However, I have serious doubts that Colby will make it back if his fastball velocity is still in the mid 80's range. To me, Tepesch has the stuff to succeed if he can keep the ball down and out of the middle of the plate. I think that will come with experience.

I would love to see Colby back because he is such a bulldog

Tepesch starts the Rangers were 8-9 and he went into the 6th inning in 10 of those starts and completed 5 innings in 2 other starts. He hit a rough 3 game patch in June and many us probably remember that he was great the first time thru. I think he did a good job considering and I believe he has potential to help with the back end of the rotation. But if Colby is up and going then I say bring it on and let Nick get plenty of work at RR.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The things I remember about Darvish was there were some that thought he was/would be overrated because it'd be a lot of money to invest on a Japanese. But at the same token the majority of people said that he's not a typical Japanese pitcher in just about every aspect.

People kept on comparing Darvish to Dice K, Nomo, Irabu, and some Yankee douches even mentioned Kai Igawa lol. Rangers did their homework and hit it out of the park. That's not to say all other pitchers now will turn out to be what Yu has done so far but but from what I remember most did think although he was a risky investment, he didn't seem to be the prototypical Japanese pitcher.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see Colby back because he is such a bulldog

Tepesch starts the Rangers were 8-9 and he went into the 6th inning in 10 of those starts and completed 5 innings in 2 other starts. He hit a rough 3 game patch in June and many us probably remember that he was great the first time thru. I think he did a good job considering and I believe he has potential to help with the back end of the rotation. But if Colby is up and going then I say bring it on and let Nick get plenty of work at RR.

I agree 100%, would love to give Colbra the first shot if he's up to (he's had a year and a half) its just an issue if the body is up to it and can he get that velocity into at least the low 90s (90-91) regularly, he would probably be effective in the high 80s as well 88-89, so if he can regularly hit 88-91, then he's good to go

If not, I'd like to see Tepesch get a legit shot, and I gather he will

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If he stays healthy, Tepesch is my dark horse pick for our #5 guy in the rotation.

Tepesch won the vacant spot out of camp last year against everyone else. So he really shouldn't even be considered the dark horse any more.

As someone here has said often ... you gotta have a minimum of ten ML-ready SPs at ML and AAA levels to begin your campaign. If it comes down to making Ogando #5 and Tepesch #6 at Round Rock ... or maximizing the upside by putting Ogando back in the bullpen and making Tepesch #5 ... I think you go with the latter.

Now a dark horse ... that would be Colby Lewis ... or Michael Kirkman.