• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sexy is right tons of people in the media were saying that the Rangers paid to much and were taking a huge risk on Darvish. I mean this is just a couple of articles quick search, but when we signed him the were tons of editorials arguing that the Rangers made a mistake:

Texas Rangers Make $108 Million Gamble With Yu Darvish - Forbes

Yu Darvish: Rangers Pitcher Will Never Live Up to Huge Contract and Posting Cost | Bleacher Report

Didn't bother reading the Bleacher Report article, b/c those are garbage when it comes to anything analytical

The Forbes article's main premise was... It's a gamble b/c it's a lot of money, AND "On the other, Darvish has to contend with an ominous trend of Japanese starting pitchers who have signed lucrative contracts but failed to perform on the field."

You're gonna have to come harder than that

I already admitted people had doubts b/c 100+ million was a lot of money and the recent trend of Japanese pitchers was dubious at best

But none of it was b/c Darvish was overrated or overhyped

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
god i hope not. those aren't what i want to see as our #5 but i'll trust JD

I honestly think Tepesch wins it if Lewis isn't healthy, and I'm ok with that, as a young pitcher making the leap from AA, Tep did pretty good, with another year's experience he might make another leap

To push him out before he has a chance is just foolish, that's not how you develop pitchers, and thats a route we have to take b/c lord knows we aren't signing any FA pitchers (Darvish doesn't count, his only option was going back to Japan for a year)

You give internal options a shot at the #5 and see where you are and come the trade deadline, then see if a move needs to be made for an upgrade

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't disagree, but bad luck is always part of the equation no matter how well you've weighed the risk vs reward, (I'm thinking injuries) so in that sense...it's somewhat of a gamble
but if the cost was low then you're still correct

Bad luck is factored into risk. That includes injury potential. Hamilton's cost (Volquez+Herrera) was low which when incorporating full risk assessment was outweighed by the potential upside. This move was not a gamble when considering what the potential upside of a troublesome SP and a diminutive RP.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nolan deserves some credit, it certainly was a great run.

Believe Nolan's role was to provide the top-cover and to keep ownership on board while letting JD run the system. When Nolan got involved in the system ... like getting a job for Roy Oswalt ... or when Chuck Greenberg got involved in negotiations with Cliff Lee's agent ... decisions may have been made without full quantitative and qualitative analysis.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You are different in that you are out here on this board posting and you know what in the world is going on in regards to the Rangers. My wife would not touch this board. And I am thankful for that. :rollseyes:

You probably meant this as a compliment for Lainey ... IMO not only 'knows what in the world is going on in regards to the Rangers' ... she understands how baseball works administratively and operationally on the field. I don't view Lainey as a woman who knows baseball though. I view her as another fan who appreciates and knows the game alongside some of the best thinkers. And I bet your wife if this were her interest too ... might be as equal to all of the rest of us unpaid experts. All good ... just wanted to make a pitch for good thoughtful posts for which Lainey is pretty well known around here.

What ever happened to Ginger? She had a good baseball brain too.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You probably meant this as a compliment for Lainey ... IMO not only 'knows what in the world is going on in regards to the Rangers' ... she understands how baseball works administratively and operationally on the field. I don't view Lainey as a woman who knows baseball though. I view her as another fan who appreciates and knows the game alongside some of the best thinkers. And I bet your wife if this were her interest too ... might be as equal to all of the rest of us unpaid experts. All good ... just wanted to make a pitch for good thoughtful posts for which Lainey is pretty well known around here.

It was a compliment. Just had a hard time wording it without sounding sexist.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think she had some differing views on things that some posters took issue with and when she couldn't handle the disagreements and she decided to stop posting here, Romeo might remember better, I generally avoided conversations with her b/c I didn't agree with her point of view and it seemed like a pointless venture, turns out I was right

her being a Cardinals fan didn't help matters

Thats the best I can remember, if someone remembers better please share, but it wasn't me that drove her off

Last edited by a moderator:

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Chuck Greenberg he still lives in the area. I personally thought he was great for the organization during his time until Nolan flexed his muscles and booted him out. I'd like to see him back a part of the organization in some capacity.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That pretty much mirrors our sentiments about the morons over there.
It's sometimes amazing that such is still being said. By now I thought there would not be enough left to carry on even an ignorant conversation.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't even remotely know this poster. Is she a really old person before all the moves moved here from ESPN?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think she had some differing views on things that some posters took issue with and when she couldn't handle the disagreements and she decided to stop posting here, Romeo might remember better, I generally avoided conversations with her b/c I didn't agree with her point of view and it seemed like a pointless venture, turns out I was right

her being a Cardinals fan didn't help matters

Thats the best I can remember, if someone remembers better please share, but it wasn't me that drove her off
Not sure but by chance could we be mistaken for Spice Sadie? Don't remember Ginger but probably before my time here. Just a thought.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure but by chance could we be mistaken for Spice Sadie? Don't remember Ginger but probably before my time here. Just a thought.

If she's that person, she has not clued us in to her new persona

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What ever happened to Ginger? She had a good baseball brain too.[/QUOTE]

What ever happened to cedar tree? That chick could DESTROY a troll.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty ignorant. You don't need your #5 to be a world beater.

not looking for a world beater just something better than a spot-on-the-roster eater between Perez at 4 & Darvish at 1. none of them are even worthy of that except for Ogando and i think he's destine for the BP and i think both Tepesch and Lewis will spend significant time in the minors before they see anytime with the Rangers.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a person named cedar tree has never posted on this Rangers board from what I reall, and I've pretty much been here since the beginning

I had to laugh when I saw that as a name.