• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I swear I heard someone had picked Baker up but now I can't find it. I was bummed out, so glad that maybe there is a way to bring him back.

I thought I read that the Giants did, but then I never saw if it was for real or not.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tepesch just doesn't have the stuff that those two do though. Nick will never be anything more than a 4 or 5 pitcher with his pitches. Holland and Harrison both had higher ceilings from the start.

That is what I want him for. A solid #5.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying I want to keep him or trade him. I said already I'll defer to the judgement of the club. But to just want to toss him on the scrap heap with that attitude is foolish. This is the same clown that bitched and moaned about Davis tearing it up in Baltimore multiple times last season.
Could easily become an espn leader w/ Bennie and the boys.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But AB is like the the Black Knight in the Holy Grail. You could cut his leg off and to him it would be a flesh wound and he would still be out there playing. :laugh3:
Please, Wastin. I'm getting fond memories of that movie.

"I'm your king!"
"Well, I didn't vote for ya" :D

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda crazy that most of our 2010 and 2011 WS teams are now broken up. The only guys from the 2010 line up that are still around are Moreland and Andrus, and Moreland might not be on the team come Spring Training. Then I think the only person you can add in there from the 2011 team is Beltre. Other that its a completely different team now offensively. The rotation is a lot different too.

Not saying this is a bad thing for the future of this team but it does sort of bother me, I mean the core of our AL championship teams is no more and I really wanted to see those guys win together. I hope I am wrong but I really think we will miss Cruz's run production.

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so a dozen teams see him as a potential #1 or #2 but you would only offer #3 pay. what's the difference between what's paid to a #2 or #3

Any team that sees him as a #1 is seriously in for a rude awakening...

where do you find this stuff? I've never read that, I've seen maybe a #2 and probably #3

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overpaid, overrated, over-hyped. That's what was said by countless scouts and 'analysts' about Darvish two years ago and now they're eating their own words.
We won't know whether Tanaka will turn out to be a smart investment until we see him take the mound as an MLB pitcher.

I NEVER heard any of that... the only comparison was a comparison to Dice-K and that was a scary comp, but remember Dice-K was pretty good for a couple years, so the only knock was that these "Japanese pitchers were overrated and he wasn't worth, don't trust him"

But everything I saw, and I know I watched a lot of video on him, and I'm sure any scout watched way more, was that this guy was electric and different than different transplants

Problem is now everyone is trying to get the next one and they are forcing the issue again

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers bullpen is basically all former closers. Chris Perez, Brian Wilson, Brandon League, JP Howell, Javy Guerra, Kenley Jansen. I wonder what their late inning philosophy is?

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to keep Mitch and have him play a full damn season where he is relatively injury free. I'm not opposed to trading him either if it's the right deal but Mitch will put it all together eventually as some of us tend to forget how valuable he is defensively when he's fielding.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its been several years since a right handed pitcher has been successful with a flat lower 90's fastball (all reports I've read say he is 8-92 and he has touched 96). Not only that, but he has 0 plane on it whatsoever. His fastball is gonna be a problem here. Hitters in japan slap the ball and try to get on base. Hitters here are huge and completely follow through with their swing and try to get backspin and lift on the ball. I simply cannot see tanaka being above a 3. If you want me to be completely honest I bet he'll end up being a 4. Sure, you can have a good offspeed pitch, but no matter who you are, you have to pitch off your fastball. I doubt he'll be able to do that very successfully. Sorta reminds me of joe blanton with better off speed stuff.

That isn't worth over 100 mil. Hell, if you wanna compare him to other 3 and 4 pitchers, that's not even worth 60. Not really excited about this dude. I do hope someone overpays for him though. Once big league hitters figure him out I think he'll have trouble. He may have preliminary success, but I'd be shocked if its more than one year.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers bullpen is basically all former closers. Chris Perez, Brian Wilson, Brandon League, JP Howell, Javy Guerra, Kenley Jansen. I wonder what their late inning philosophy is?

as it should be... go with the hot hand

Sexy

Emotion in Motion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I NEVER heard any of that... the only comparison was a comparison to Dice-K and that was a scary comp, but remember Dice-K was pretty good for a couple years, so the only knock was that these "Japanese pitchers were overrated and he wasn't worth, don't trust him"

But everything I saw, and I know I watched a lot of video on him, and I'm sure any scout watched way more, was that this guy was electric and different than different transplants

Problem is now everyone is trying to get the next one and they are forcing the issue again
Really now? I had been hearing things like that day in and day out, albeit several of them from laughing stock sites (Bleacher Report anyone?)

And I believe the initial scouting reports were that he was overrated, though I'm not sure about that.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Darvish I read scouting reports on him and made my own assumptions. He's got the perfect build for a power pitcher. He's a power pitcher who pitches like a finesse pitcher. In other words, he's got everything.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I recall, Moreland was diagnosed with the most minor hamstring strain, grade 1 I think. Sure players can re-strain them, but it was not a serious diagnosis orginally. As much as I'd like to blame his fall-off on the hammy, I don't think that was the problem. I don't recall him ever limping (ala Beltre limping aroung out there)
Having said that, was he placed on the DL again after June? I honestly don't recall now
I think the DH position should be upgraded, but if they try MM there again...so be it, maybe he finally breaks out... but blaming the hamstring pull might be a bit of wishful thinking. I like Moreland as much as the next person, but just technically speaking, Kinsler's injury was more serious and he eventually bounced back.

If they go with him, that's fine...but even if he kills it, I'm not inclined to say "it was the hamstring", more that he finally found his swing.
all just my opinion of course

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sexy is right tons of people in the media were saying that the Rangers paid to much and were taking a huge risk on Darvish. I mean this is just a couple of articles quick search, but when we signed him the were tons of editorials arguing that the Rangers made a mistake:

Texas Rangers Make $108 Million Gamble With Yu Darvish - Forbes

Yu Darvish: Rangers Pitcher Will Never Live Up to Huge Contract and Posting Cost | Bleacher Report