• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured this would get changed in the next CBA negotiations

If they keep it its going to have to be a dollar amount you would only pay to an elite player 20+ million, that way players like Cruz, Santana Jimenez don't get screwed

Or scale it to 3rd, 2nd and 1st round levels, 15, 20 & 25 million dollar qualifying offers

If I was the Mariners I would give up a 3rd rounder for Nelly, and if I was the Rangers I would pay him 15 million for 1 year

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they keep it its going to have to be a dollar amount you would only pay to an elite player 20+ million, that way players like Cruz, Santana Jimenez don't get screwed

Or scale it to 3rd, 2nd and 1st round levels, 15, 20 & 25 million dollar qualifying offers

If I was the Mariners I would give up a 3rd rounder for Nelly, and if I was the Rangers I would pay him 15 million for 1 year

Would you give up a 3rd rounder and 3/36? I think they will have to give him a lot to persuade him. I doubt he goes there on a 1 year deal. That park won't help his numbers.

I would also give him 15 for 1 year.

Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think it is strange to say it is okay that Garza sucked because the guys we gave up for him all suck too. When you don't know that.

I think it is funny that many who were okay with the Garza overpayment are the same folks who wondered why TEX didn't have any higher ranked pitching prospects. They did but a good many have been spent over recent years for guys like Cristian Guzman (Ryan Tatuko, Tanner Roark), Jorge Cantu (Omar Poveda, Evan Reed) and Ryan Dempster (Kyle Hendricks).

Fact that Garza was a bust should not have come as a surprise. Guys TEX has got at the deadline (Lee and Benji were traded well ahead of the deadline) ... have cost prospects when prospects was all TEX had (no money).

You can add Garza to that list. You can do the trade again if you want ... but I wouldn't have done the deal to begin with.

I was not too crazy about the Guzman or Cantu deals as I did not see the need.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was not too crazy about the Guzman or Cantu deals as I did not see the need.

Cantu was terrible, but he is the owner of one of the more dramatic HRs in Rangers history.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you give up a 3rd rounder and 3/36? I think they will have to give him a lot to persuade him. I doubt he goes there on a 1 year deal. That park won't help his numbers.

I would also give him 15 for 1 year.

Sure, I mean by default you were willing to give him 15 for 1 year, why not an extra 21 for 2 extra years

I mean its all hypothetical anyway

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought that Wieland or Erlin would end up being the prospects we regretted trading, but you never know w prospects. Trading prospects is usually the best way to maximize their value it seems

At the time I really hated losing those two.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I figured this would get changed in the next CBA negotiations

Funny thing is I think it was the union that wanted the QO and owners put the draft pick loss in. Union didn't see that as a problem as they were thinking their guys could reject the QO and get a better deal elsewhere. They didn't realize the draft pick loss was going to be as big a deal as it is turning out to be ... at least in Cruz' case when there are other issues.

But I can see the union is going to want to use something like Elias ranking and guys like Cruz would be offset by a 3rd rounder like was said above. Owners are going to want to keep it tight.

I can see one day when draft choices can be traded that a team trades for someone else's 3rd rounder and then uses it to pay for a FA they want.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, I mean by default you were willing to give him 15 for 1 year, why not an extra 21 for 2 extra years

I mean its all hypothetical anyway

I meant if you were Seattle would you give up the 3rd rounder, and 3 years/36? The 3 for 36 is just my guess on what it might end up being. He would be a disaster in their OF.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's something I never thought I'd read. Tracy McGrady is trying to pitch in pro ball. They say he's throwing mid 80's, and learned to throw a slider in 5 minutes.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's something I never thought I'd read. Tracy McGrady is trying to pitch in pro ball. They say he's throwing mid 80's, and learned to throw a slider in 5 minutes.

Saw that and he will pitch in the independent league.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant if you were Seattle would you give up the 3rd rounder, and 3 years/36? The 3 for 36 is just my guess on what it might end up being. He would be a disaster in their OF.

That's exactly what I was referring to, Cruz (in this scenario) would've already turned down 15 million for 1 year, so at the very least he's looking for 15 million, for Seattle its nothing for them to throw in the extra 2 years at 21 million and a 3rd round pick

I was only using Seattle as a relevant example

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly what I was referring to, Cruz (in this scenario) would've already turned down 15 million for 1 year, so at the very least he's looking for 15 million, for Seattle its nothing for them to throw in the extra 2 years at 21 million and a 3rd round pick

I was only using Seattle as a relevant example

I see what you're saying now. Although I think the 2 years is substantial since Nelly is likely to decline very quickly. Obviously they aren't afraid to take risks though. I still think it's surprising he hasn't signed yet.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Advanced baseball analytics website Fangraphs released its annual ZiPS projections for the Texas Rangers Friday, and it has some favorable things to say about the team Texas is fielding in 2014.

The report says that Jurickson Profar should match Ian Kinsler's production in 2014 and that Prince Fielder should be an upgrade at first base, so the Rangers improved making the Fielder-Kinsler trade with Detroit. However, the projections also indicated that Kinsler will have a much more productive season than Fielder, suggesting that the Tigers got the better end of the deal.

The report also suggests that the Rangers could still use some offensive help.

As far as pitching, the numbers show that based on Derek Holland's likely replacement of Nick Tepesch and the scheduled time of Holland's return, his injury is likely costing the Rangers one win. This might not seem like much, but in a tight A.L. West, it could be huge.

With a 6.0 zWar, Yu Darvish trails only Clayton Kershaw and Justin Verlander in his expected production this season.

Finally, the report takes a look at the Rangers prospects and potential bench players. It's particularly favorable to Rougned Odor, noting that he could create another middle infield logjam for the Rangers in a couple of seasons and listing his No. 1 comparison as Robinson Cano.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE FULL REPORT

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Advanced baseball analytics website Fangraphs released its annual ZiPS projections for the Texas Rangers Friday, and it has some favorable things to say about the team Texas is fielding in 2014.

The report says that Jurickson Profar should match Ian Kinsler's production in 2014 and that Prince Fielder should be an upgrade at first base, so the Rangers improved making the Fielder-Kinsler trade with Detroit. However, the projections also indicated that Kinsler will have a much more productive season than Fielder, suggesting that the Tigers got the better end of the deal.

The report also suggests that the Rangers could still use some offensive help.

As far as pitching, the numbers show that based on Derek Holland's likely replacement of Nick Tepesch and the scheduled time of Holland's return, his injury is likely costing the Rangers one win. This might not seem like much, but in a tight A.L. West, it could be huge.

With a 6.0 zWar, Yu Darvish trails only Clayton Kershaw and Justin Verlander in his expected production this season.

Finally, the report takes a look at the Rangers prospects and potential bench players. It's particularly favorable to Rougned Odor, noting that he could create another middle infield logjam for the Rangers in a couple of seasons and listing his No. 1 comparison as Robinson Cano.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE FULL REPORT

I have been an Odor fan for over a year now. Hope he continues the upward trend.

It's hard to say about Kinler-Fielder trade and who wins out but it has to be a win for Texas because we had to do something with either Kinser or Profar. And Prince's down year last year is one of the best for any 1b to ever play for Texas and would imagine that he will have better results this year.