• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been an Odor fan for over a year now. Hope he continues the upward trend.

It's hard to say about Kinler-Fielder trade and who wins out but it has to be a win for Texas because we had to do something with either Kinser or Profar. And Prince's down year last year is one of the best for any 1b to ever play for Texas and would imagine that he will have better results this year.

Some of you guys picked up on Odor quick.

FYI, Palmeiro had 4 years of better RBI stats than Prince did last season. And let's not get into the PED discussion please.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Advanced baseball analytics website Fangraphs released its annual ZiPS projections for the Texas Rangers Friday, and it has some favorable things to say about the team Texas is fielding in 2014.

The report says that Jurickson Profar should match Ian Kinsler's production in 2014 and that Prince Fielder should be an upgrade at first base, so the Rangers improved making the Fielder-Kinsler trade with Detroit. However, the projections also indicated that Kinsler will have a much more productive season than Fielder, suggesting that the Tigers got the better end of the deal.

The report also suggests that the Rangers could still use some offensive help.

As far as pitching, the numbers show that based on Derek Holland's likely replacement of Nick Tepesch and the scheduled time of Holland's return, his injury is likely costing the Rangers one win. This might not seem like much, but in a tight A.L. West, it could be huge.

With a 6.0 zWar, Yu Darvish trails only Clayton Kershaw and Justin Verlander in his expected production this season.

Finally, the report takes a look at the Rangers prospects and potential bench players. It's particularly favorable to Rougned Odor, noting that he could create another middle infield logjam for the Rangers in a couple of seasons and listing his No. 1 comparison as Robinson Cano.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE FULL REPORT

Not sure I buy into this. Verlander is still a stud, but not the pitcher he was a few years ago. I wouldn't even have him in my top five to be honest.

Second, what exactly are they referring to when they say Ian's production should top fielders? Are they talking offense only, our offense and defense? There's no way Ian matches fielders offensive production, let alone beat it so I must assume they're taking both offense and defense in consideration. Fielders offensive contribution should do a lot to make up for his defensive shortcomings, and with Profar's range at second it should help cover that up some. In the end, even if fielder plays a slightly below average first base his offense is more important than what Ian has on him on defense. Obviously fielder won't steal any bases, but Ian's 30/30 days are over too.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I buy into this. Verlander is still a stud, but not the pitcher he was a few years ago. I wouldn't even have him in my top five to be honest.

Second, what exactly are they referring to when they say Ian's production should top fielders? Are they talking offense only, our offense and defense? There's no way Ian matches fielders offensive production, let alone beat it so I must assume they're taking both offense and defense in consideration. Fielders offensive contribution should do a lot to make up for his defensive shortcomings, and with Profar's range at second it should help cover that up some. In the end, even if fielder plays a slightly below average first base his offense is more important than what Ian has on him on defense. Obviously fielder won't steal any bases, but Ian's 30/30 days are over too.

The terminology regarding Fielder/Kins seemed odd to me too. Don't know how you do the weighting factor defensively for comparing a 1st baseman and a 2nd.

And you're right that Fielder won't be stealing any bases. But then again, maybe he won't get picked off half a dozen times either.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FYI, Palmeiro had 4 years of better RBI stats than Prince did last season. And let's not get into the PED discussion please.

Let's not forget about Tex or Will Clark either. Although Clark might have never reached those RBI or her totals.... He hit for great average. Clark is definitely on of my favorite Rangers.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's something I never thought I'd read. Tracy McGrady is trying to pitch in pro ball. They say he's throwing mid 80's, and learned to throw a slider in 5 minutes.

To what end? If it's pitching on some locals men's team of 30-40 year olds, more power to him. If it's with the thought of playing at any pro level, LMAO. Its so hard to be a pro pitcher. The minors are filled with guys that throw mid 90's but don't have the necessary control or offspeed stuff. If he's mid 80's and learning a slider, he'd get lit up by the 18U Patriots or DBats lol.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seven-time NBA All-Star Tracy McGrady is aiming to pitch in professional baseball, FOX 26 reports. Still a relatively young 34, McGrady has been training with Diamondbacks pro scout Scipio Spinks and will look to catch on with the independent league Sugar Land Skeeters for the 2014 season.
Spinks says McGrady is currently throwing in the 85-86 MPH range, disputing earlier reports that the former NBA scoring champion had surpassed 90 MPH. However, he adds that McGrady's slider, which took him "five minutes" to learn, is a "true slider" with "good break on it." McGrady can also command the baseball to both sides of the plate with ease, he comments, and may reach the 90s with practice. "If the season starts tomorrow Tracy McGrady will be able to pitch on that Skeeters team," Spinks says. McGrady is training at Constellation Field, the Skeeters' home park.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seven-time NBA All-Star Tracy McGrady is aiming to pitch in professional baseball, FOX 26 reports. Still a relatively young 34, McGrady has been training with Diamondbacks pro scout Scipio Spinks and will look to catch on with the independent league Sugar Land Skeeters for the 2014 season.
Spinks says McGrady is currently throwing in the 85-86 MPH range, disputing earlier reports that the former NBA scoring champion had surpassed 90 MPH. However, he adds that McGrady's slider, which took him "five minutes" to learn, is a "true slider" with "good break on it." McGrady can also command the baseball to both sides of the plate with ease, he comments, and may reach the 90s with practice. "If the season starts tomorrow Tracy McGrady will be able to pitch on that Skeeters team," Spinks says. McGrady is training at Constellation Field, the Skeeters' home park.

Sounds like a good idea to fill seats in Houston.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was referring to the 8th inning HR. I remember that he filled in at first base some and wasn't very good, but the HR is the only clear recollection I have of him because it was the GW hit and ended an 11 year playoff drought.

You are quite right ... especially the last point. But he was absolutely terrible ... although not as terrible as Guzman. Those 2 trades are in large measure why I don't like deadline deals ... which is one step above my dislike of all offseason FA acquisitions.

I am a pre post-Curt Flood era conservative.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Scipio spinks...fake name if I've ever heard one.

Given his gigantic hands, I wouldn't be shocked if he learns a hell of a breaking ball

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I said one of the best not the best. I loved Palmeiro but that all turned out quite disappointing.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a good idea to fill seats in Houston.

Exactly dead on the money. So absurd. It's like Jose Canseco going to the driving range and bombing 400 yard drives and talking about going on the Nike Tour. Publicity stunt, nothing more. Michael Jordan was a pretty good baseball player, and the best basketball player on the planet. How'd that work out?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly dead on the money. So absurd. It's like Jose Canseco going to the driving range and bombing 400 yard drives and talking about going on the Nike Tour. Publicity stunt, nothing more. Michael Jordan was a pretty good baseball player, and the best basketball player on the planet. How'd that work out?

I think it was Ted Williams that said hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports. And I can believe it. The other thing about baseball is there is no place to really hide. Sooner or later it is your turn for a 1-on-1 matchup.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was Ted Williams that said hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports. And I can believe it. The other thing about baseball is there is no place to really hide. Sooner or later it is your turn for a 1-on-1 matchup.

only major sport where the defense has the ball.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now this just cracked me up from JD:

Jon Daniels, president of baseball operations, GM: Seattle 24, Denver 20
Comment: "Russell Wilson is the MVP. Does commercial: 'I'm going to Surprise, Arizona!'"