• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Angels offered Garza around the same amount he got from the Brewers in a 4 year deal at the winter meetings. I love hearing about their failures.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think Grimm pitched better than Tepesch then you need to get your eyes checked

Grimm's fastball is just way too straight and he doesn't have the secondary offerings consistently enough to keep people off the fastball

If he refines that curveball and can throw it more consistently then he has a chance, that along with a solid changeup would make him a solid #4

Haha, I guess I need my eyes checked then because I liked his pitching better, I will admit his overall results were not as good though. I think a lot of people forget about how good he started off and that rookie of the month award he got. In his first 3 starts was 2-0 with a 1.59 ERA, 15 strikeouts and four walks in 17 innings.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's comparable that people thought we gave up the farm for him. We didn't in either case. I am not for gutting the minors but I am for playing for today. The Rangers of the past were always playing for next year and just wait until our prospects make it to the majors. I say play for today and keep stocking the minors and we are doing that. And part of the reason you stock your minors is so you can make trades like those at the deadline.

For sure and I get your point, I like that we are playing to win every year now. I'm not against trades like this but sometimes you hit and sometimes you miss… we missed on this one and its OK, we will hit on other in the future. I think we still have a pretty solid farm but as of now but we may be a little short on pitching and 1B prospects which was a huge strength not to long ago. Its better to takes the risks though, because there is little reward without risk.

I really don't recall many fans being to upset about trading the farm for Lee, I personally thought that was a great trade and still do. Really wish we could have resigned him but instead we got Beltre and I think we are all really happy about that.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Angels offered Garza around the same amount he got from the Brewers in a 4 year deal at the winter meetings. I love hearing about their failures.

I'm just shocked that they didn't over him a 10 year $250M contract? I mean he has all the things they target on the FA market. He is on the other side of 30, past his prime, and is now a former Ranger.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just think it is strange to say it is okay that Garza sucked because the guys we gave up for him all suck too. When you don't know that.

I think it is funny that many who were okay with the Garza overpayment are the same folks who wondered why TEX didn't have any higher ranked pitching prospects. They did but a good many have been spent over recent years for guys like Cristian Guzman (Ryan Tatuko, Tanner Roark), Jorge Cantu (Omar Poveda, Evan Reed) and Ryan Dempster (Kyle Hendricks).

Fact that Garza was a bust should not have come as a surprise. Guys TEX has got at the deadline (Lee and Benji were traded well ahead of the deadline) ... have cost prospects when prospects was all TEX had (no money).

You can add Garza to that list. You can do the trade again if you want ... but I wouldn't have done the deal to begin with.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think it is strange to say it is okay that Garza sucked because the guys we gave up for him all suck too. When you don't know that.

I think it is funny that many who were okay with the Garza overpayment are the same folks who wondered why TEX didn't have any higher ranked pitching prospects. They did but a good many have been spent over recent years for guys like Cristian Guzman (Ryan Tatuko, Tanner Roark), Jorge Cantu (Omar Poveda, Evan Reed) and Ryan Dempster (Kyle Hendricks).

Fact that Garza was a bust should not have come as a surprise. Guys TEX has got at the deadline (Lee and Benji were traded well ahead of the deadline) ... have cost prospects when prospects was all TEX had (no money).

You can add Garza to that list. You can do the trade again if you want ... but I wouldn't have done the deal to begin with.

I never said it was ok for Garza to suck, I said I would do that trade again, put in the same situation, hopefully with a better outcome

Who among those pitchers listed have ever amounted to anything? So my disappointment would not have been alleviated by any of those guys, nice try though

Beavan & Hunter would've been better names, but they haven''t done much either

Our trading away of pitching prospects in recent years has yet to bite us in the butt yet, at least not since the Volquez/Hamilton coup

Edwards, Ramirez & Grimm might be the first ones but I have serious doubt about 2 of those names and questions about all 3

And to be fair I wouldn't have included Edwards at all, thats where the overpay came in for me

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may just be me being a little cautious, but I would not be so quick, as many are here, to completely bury Josh Hamilton. He had a really bad year last year and still hit 21 homers with 79 RBI. He may have a bounce back season coming. Let's remember he had 100/94/128 his last 3 seasons before 2013.

And don't get me wrong, I'm still delighted he's gone, and regardless of what happens with him/us the Rangers made the right move for the organization, by letting him walk IMO.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, it stated Arte wants a quick response when he makes an offer and when that didn't happen he took the offer back off the table. Reminds a person of when Ham took that offer w/o a counter offer from the Rangers but we would not have offered $25 mill a year anyway.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may just be me being a little cautious, but I would not be so quick, as many are here, to completely bury Josh Hamilton. He had a really bad year last year and still hit 21 homers with 79 RBI. He may have a bounce back season coming. Let's remember he had 100/94/128 his last 3 seasons before 2013.

And don't get me wrong, I'm still delighted he's gone, and regardless of what happens with him/us the Rangers made the right move for the organization, by letting him walk IMO.

I have had that same gut feeling as well. He seemed to look much better late last season. Just not sure if he will be $25 mill a season better. But I agree on what you are saying.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I never said it was ok for Garza to suck, I said I would do that trade again, put in the same situation, hopefully with a better outcome

Who among those pitchers listed have ever amounted to anything? So my disappointment would not have been alleviated by any of those guys, nice try though

Our trading away of pitching prospects in recent years has yet to bite us in the butt yet, at least not since the Volquez/Hamilton coup

Edwards, Ramirez & Grimm might be the first ones but I have serious doubt about 2 of those names and questions about all 3

And to be fair I wouldn't have included Edwards at all, thats where the overpay came in for me

"... but they haven't done much either."

Reed pitched for DET last season. Roark started 5 games for WSN last season (1.51ERA, 0.913WHIP). Poveda for AAA Gwinett had 164IP, 25GS, 3.62ERA, 1.299WHIP. Tatusko had 18GS for Syracuse w/4.33ERA, 1.583WHIP. Hendricks pitched 166.1IP for CHC AA-AAA w/2.00ERA, 1.058WHIP.

They were prospects. Not sure what you expected of them already ... but don't think you can say they haven't done much (yet).

Will let it go ... am saying that a 2-month rental that cost Ramirez, Edwards, Olt and Grimm ... was a huge over pay given the reality that it was the offense that sucked.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"... but they haven't done much either."

Reed pitched for DET last season. Roark started 5 games for WSN last season (1.51ERA, 0.913WHIP). Poveda for AAA Gwinett had 164IP, 25GS, 3.62ERA, 1.299WHIP. Tatusko had 18GS for Syracuse w/4.33ERA, 1.583WHIP. Hendricks pitched 166.1IP for CHC AA-AAA w/2.00ERA, 1.058WHIP.

They were prospects. Not sure what you expected of them already ... but don't think you can say they haven't done much (yet).

Will let it go ... am saying that a 2-month rental that cost Ramirez, Edwards, Olt and Grimm ... was a huge over pay given the reality that it was the offense that sucked.

We're all geniuses in hindsight, well done

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have had that same gut feeling as well. He seemed to look much better late last season. Just not sure if he will be $25 mill a season better. But I agree on what you are saying.

The Angels definitely over spent, and the return on the investment will never match.

But you got my general drift on him. Ya know, if he hits .275 he may have 90 RBI and 30 HR. Very good season; just not $25 million worth of season.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I agree. I think he has a great shot at a bounce back season this year but I don't ever look for him to be as productive as he once was. He still might even prove me wrong on that though.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I always thought that Wieland or Erlin would end up being the prospects we regretted trading, but you never know w prospects. Trading prospects is usually the best way to maximize their value it seems

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just shocked that they didn't over him a 10 year $250M contract? I mean he has all the things they target on the FA market. He is on the other side of 30, past his prime, and is now a former Ranger.
Certainly had the requirements.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else think this might be the last year the draft picks are tied to the players given a QO? I bet Nelly wishes he would've taken the 14.1 M. I bet if we offered him 14 M right now he would accept it.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought that Wieland or Erlin would end up being the prospects we regretted trading, but you never know w prospects. Trading prospects is usually the best way to maximize their value it seems

Forgot about them, I really liked Wieland, and then he blew his elbow

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else think this might be the last year the draft picks are tied to the players given a QO? I bet Nelly wishes he would've taken the 14.1 M. I bet if we offered him 14 M right now he would accept it.

I figured this would get changed in the next CBA negotiations