• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Mahomes GOAT thread (since this comes up in multiple threads)

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to take anything away from Mahomes, but you have to wonder how successful he would have been if he, say, wound up in Tennessee or Carolina or something instead of being drafted by Andy Reid and the Chiefs.

The knock on Mahomes coming out of college was that he was a gunslinger who might commit a lot of turnovers in the NFL. That simply hasn't happened, and I think Reid has probably had more to do with it than meets the eye.
This is true of all QBs. Football is the most team game of all of them. In baseball or basketball you can put up numbers all by yourself. A QB needs receivers to catch the ball, a line to block for him, and a coach who can design winning plays. This is why QB wins is a dumb stat. QBs don't win games. Teams do.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm an Andy Reid fan, but I'm not sure how you can watch the Chiefs play and not come away instead thinking "I wonder how successful Andy Reid would have been in KC if they didn't draft a guy who has proven by far to be the best QB in the NFL right now and seems to make those around him better more than anyone else in the league". This was the year losing Hill was going to expose Mahomes...and boy, did it...

True, I think another QB and Reid is probably bounced in the first round of the playoffs, if he even gets there.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, I think another QB and Reid is probably bounced in the first round of the playoffs, if he even gets there.
I doubt he has two rings but Andy did take the Eagles to a few CGs with Donovan McNabb and Alex Smith had his best season under Reid so I think he at least, get's into the playoffs and has a few wins without Mahomes. Mahomes is definitely the x-factor that gets them to where they are now though. I think it's really a case of a HOF coach and great QB being perfect for each other.