• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Catching Up

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched a panel discussion on the NFL Playoffs. It was interesting and thought provoling.

They all agreed that the teams with the best bQBs have historically dominated the playoffs in the Super Bowl Era.

Lenny Dawson and Bart Starr at the very start, Terry Bradshaw, Jim Kelly, Manonica, Montana, Young, Aikman and Marion. Then we move into the modern era and Brady, Manning, Favre, Ryan, McNabb. Then they got to today and Allen, Burrow, Mahomes, Murray, Herbert and Hurts.

The point they were making is that every one of the successful teams had a quarterback that wasn't just a great player, they were also great leaders. They brought the whole thing into the now. They all agreed that the exception to the rule was Purdy. He hasn't played long enough to establish his legacy but one guy caused a stoppage and an argument when he said, "If you can't place Purdy in the same grouping as Allen and Hurts then what will you call Purdy if he and the 49ers win the Superbowl?" He really upset the panel when he said, Purdy is already ahead of Josh Allen because he's made it to the NFCCG and Allen has not.

Then they talked about other teams and how they might catch up. When they got to the Patriots the panel was split. They all agreed that Mac Jones was certainly able to play at the same level as the top three in the AFC, but he lacks that "look" or "Takeover attitude". Half of them said that he has a "Too Casual Approach" and he never displays that pitbull ferociousness that other high level QBs seem to exhibit when the game is in their hands. One guy thought he was funny when he said that Mac has that look when the play calls don't make it in time. They all laughed.

Listening to these guys, they felt that the present staff in NE wouldn't make many major changes because BB has never thrown the dice. They also all agreed that BB has to make some huge moves on the OL and upgrade the WRs if he wants to begin thinking about improving the team. One guy made a statement and no one argued. "Blichick is getting older and like most older people, prefers to stay in a comfortable rut. Don't expect him to change."

They predicted that the Jets, especially owner Woody Johnson will make a huge move. They believe Johnson will get Aaron Rogers and his $110M salary and never blink. He made tyhe decision to go get Favre and he's never hesitated to add a name or a star to the team. They all believe that the jets are a QB away from contending and possibly knocking the Bills from their perch.

If BB does make moves to enhance the quality of the OL and does add a #1 WR, I think Mac has the physical tools to take this team to the next step. If Bill does play 'catch up'makes major moves and improvements, can Mac take them to the house?

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched a panel discussion on the NFL Playoffs. It was interesting and thought provoling.

They all agreed that the teams with the best bQBs have historically dominated the playoffs in the Super Bowl Era.

Lenny Dawson and Bart Starr at the very start, Terry Bradshaw, Jim Kelly, Manonica, Montana, Young, Aikman and Marion. Then we move into the modern era and Brady, Manning, Favre, Ryan, McNabb. Then they got to today and Allen, Burrow, Mahomes, Murray, Herbert and Hurts.

The point they were making is that every one of the successful teams had a quarterback that wasn't just a great player, they were also great leaders. They brought the whole thing into the now. They all agreed that the exception to the rule was Purdy. He hasn't played long enough to establish his legacy but one guy caused a stoppage and an argument when he said, "If you can't place Purdy in the same grouping as Allen and Hurts then what will you call Purdy if he and the 49ers win the Superbowl?" He really upset the panel when he said, Purdy is already ahead of Josh Allen because he's made it to the NFCCG and Allen has not.

Then they talked about other teams and how they might catch up. When they got to the Patriots the panel was split. They all agreed that Mac Jones was certainly able to play at the same level as the top three in the AFC, but he lacks that "look" or "Takeover attitude". Half of them said that he has a "Too Casual Approach" and he never displays that pitbull ferociousness that other high level QBs seem to exhibit when the game is in their hands. One guy thought he was funny when he said that Mac has that look when the play calls don't make it in time. They all laughed.

Listening to these guys, they felt that the present staff in NE wouldn't make many major changes because BB has never thrown the dice. They also all agreed that BB has to make some huge moves on the OL and upgrade the WRs if he wants to begin thinking about improving the team. One guy made a statement and no one argued. "Blichick is getting older and like most older people, prefers to stay in a comfortable rut. Don't expect him to change."

They predicted that the Jets, especially owner Woody Johnson will make a huge move. They believe Johnson will get Aaron Rogers and his $110M salary and never blink. He made tyhe decision to go get Favre and he's never hesitated to add a name or a star to the team. They all believe that the jets are a QB away from contending and possibly knocking the Bills from their perch.

If BB does make moves to enhance the quality of the OL and does add a #1 WR, I think Mac has the physical tools to take this team to the next step. If Bill does play 'catch up'makes major moves and improvements, can Mac take them to the house?

I agree about Mac. He may be a good QB but in my opinion he lacks the killer instinct and leadership qualities of the top QB's.

I realized this weekend that the NFL has moved on to a new crop of outstanding QB's. While us NE fans have yet to find our super star QB of the future the NFL currently has some really great QB's. Mahomes/Burrow is the new Manning/Brady. Lawrence, Herbert, Allen, Hurts, Fields and possibly Purdy and Picket are all solid.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a bunch of non-football players got together, and ball washed the success of others while being woefully obvious it takes a great QB to win. Even the greats like Montana and Brady had great supporting staff.

To assume Mac does not have that killer I can carry the team instinct makes no sense to me. 1. He has been in the league two years. 2. He seems very passionate about the game. 3. A QB should never have to carry a team if its built correctly. That's not saying there won't be team when he has to be the man. 4. Fuck it let's trade him and bring Cam back

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. He has been in the league two years. 2. He seems very passionate about the game. 3. A QB should never have to carry a team if its built correctly. That's not saying there won't be team when he has to be the man. 4. Fuck it let's trade him and bring Cam back
Not to get into a pissing contest because you apparently like Mac alot.

Discussion:
1. Mac did not take a step forward in year two. I'm talking about him, not his surrounding cast. It's too easy to blame someone else for his inability to take control.
2. His passion doesn't appear to be about the game. It seems he gets passionate when he thinks someone else has failed him. He doesn't have that "Climb on my back" attitude that you see in top of the heap QBs.
3.The reality isn't that he has to carry the team, but he doesn't lead it. It's almost that he 'hopes' that someone else will step up.
4. I have no comment on that.

Burrow and Lawrence both had really tough first years. Both stepped up in their second year. Lawrence made a great comment. "I finally shut out the noise and started concentrating on 'my' game and what 'I' can do. It made all of the difference." Mac hasn't done that. Maybe he will this coming year. Hopefully he'll have people coaching him that can help him make that step forward. Right now, he's in Purgatory after a year in hell.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to get into a pissing contest because you apparently like Mac alot.

Discussion:
1. Mac did not take a step forward in year two. I'm talking about him, not his surrounding cast. It's too easy to blame someone else for his inability to take control.
2. His passion doesn't appear to be about the game. It seems he gets passionate when he thinks someone else has failed him. He doesn't have that "Climb on my back" attitude that you see in top of the heap QBs.
3.The reality isn't that he has to carry the team, but he doesn't lead it. It's almost that he 'hopes' that someone else will step up.
4. I have no comment on that.

Burrow and Lawrence both had really tough first years. Both stepped up in their second year. Lawrence made a great comment. "I finally shut out the noise and started concentrating on 'my' game and what 'I' can do. It made all of the difference." Mac hasn't done that. Maybe he will this coming year. Hopefully he'll have people coaching him that can help him make that step forward. Right now, he's in Purgatory after a year in hell.
No it's not that I like Mac a lot I think judging any player in year two is a fools errand.

1. Mac could not step forward in year two and you know this or should know this. I won't repeat what he had to deal with if it falls on deaf ears.

2. So last year everyone was talking about how he out prepares everyone now his passion is in question. I don't know what you or anyone else is seeing but he seems very passionate about the game and very driven to win. His outbursts at times were immature and we all noted that. But when called out about he seemed to move past it. The last four or five games he very much seemed to have that under control.

3. Are you not paying attention to what other team members are saying about him or are you so fixated on what the media is saying? Players in the locker room are praising his leadership. but I guess it makes more sense to listen to a bunch of media hens.

I think for me it's time to stop responding to posts like this. A few here not all cannot seem to understand the hand he was dealt in year two. Whether Mac is the QB of the future or not putting this season on him is asinine and show just how little people understand.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac now has an OC. A guy who is familiar with him and who he is familiar with.

Mac will not have Smith or Waddle etc. What I would expect him to do is bring the WR that he will have, together for workout in 5the bubble or on a California beach. Maybe give Tom House a call and make some personal improvements on mechanics and footwork. Brady, Rogers and others have benefited from a month with house, Mac might benefit too.

I'll lay off Mac for now and see how he responds to having more support. I will freak out if he continues to take three minutes to throw the ball instead of three seconds.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac now has an OC. A guy who is familiar with him and who he is familiar with.

Mac will not have Smith or Waddle etc. What I would expect him to do is bring the WR that he will have, together for workout in 5the bubble or on a California beach. Maybe give Tom House a call and make some personal improvements on mechanics and footwork. Brady, Rogers and others have benefited from a month with house, Mac might benefit too.

I'll lay off Mac for now and see how he responds to having more support. I will freak out if he continues to take three minutes to throw the ball instead of three seconds.
Mac is better off with Bill than he was Matt that is for sure.

I am willing to assume Mac will work on the things he needs to work on the be better. Work ethic is one of the things he is noted for.

1. Fix / Address this O Line.

2. Please do not assume Agholor and Parker are the answer. I would gladly let them go to keep Jakobi.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a bunch of non-football players got together, and ball washed the success of others while being woefully obvious it takes a great QB to win. Even the greats like Montana and Brady had great supporting staff.

To assume Mac does not have that killer I can carry the team instinct makes no sense to me. 1. He has been in the league two years. 2. He seems very passionate about the game. 3. A QB should never have to carry a team if its built correctly. That's not saying there won't be team when he has to be the man. 4. Fuck it let's trade him and bring Cam back
I think Brady had a good but not great supporting staff. Why does a QB take an 5-13 team to a SB and then 2 more in 3 years and win them? Sure he had great D's but as soon, as he is not starting, they are missing the playoffs. Sure we hit on Gronk who was injury prone at AZ and Hernandez who did the injuring himself, but drafted no other offensive weapons. Mac is good imo but with his hissy fits will turn off his team mates, Brady was the leader and inspired everyone, because BB mumbled and dictated

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Brady had a good but not great supporting staff. Why does a QB take an 5-13 team to a SB and then 2 more in 3 years and win them? Sure he had great D's but as soon, as he is not starting, they are missing the playoffs. Sure we hit on Gronk who was injury prone at AZ and Hernandez who did the injuring himself, but drafted no other offensive weapons. Mac is good imo but with his hissy fits will turn off his team mates, Brady was the leader and inspired everyone, because BB mumbled and dictated
Okay

1. Seems you are stuck in the past, comparing any QB to Brady is dumb IMO.

2. Why does Rodgers only have on SB and Marino zero? These are QBs that could carry a team.

3. I agree Mac is good, I also agree he may not be the future, but he is what we have at this time.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay

1. Seems you are stuck in the past, comparing any QB to Brady is dumb IMO.

2. Why does Rodgers only have on SB and Marino zero? These are QBs that could carry a team.

3. I agree Mac is good, I also agree he may not be the future, but he is what we have at this time.
Not comparing any QB to Brady, just stating easy facts that Patriots won only with him, 30 dismal years before and see a lot after

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not comparing any QB to Brady, just stating easy facts that Patriots won only with him, 30 dismal years before and see a lot after
I understand that. My point is there may never be another Brady so we have to work with what we have. Wew have to make the rest of the team better

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that. My point is there may never be another Brady so we have to work with what we have. Wew have to make the rest of the team better
IMO and not sure if in the minority, either BB has to go or he has to lose his GM title. Great defensive guy, rest not so much

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO and not sure if in the minority, either BB has to go or he has to lose his GM title. Great defensive guy, rest not so much
I just posted my feelings on this in the other active thread where we discussed the O'Brien hiring. It feels to me like we are stuck in the past and the game is passing us by

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just posted my feelings on this in the other active thread where we discussed the O'Brien hiring. It feels to me like we are stuck in the past and the game is passing us by
100% stuck in past and BB is also. Like Ken said we need new blood

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% stuck in past and BB is also. Like Ken said we need new blood
At least be willing to adjust to todays game. I feel BB can still coach if, IF he is willing to adjust. If not it may be time to fish.,

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least be willing to adjust to todays game. I feel BB can still coach if, IF he is willing to adjust. If not it may be time to fish.,
None of his guys have gone on to be winners and most leaders will train guys. You have a Navy Seal leader who has one killer(sniper TB) and the rest fail on their first missions and die, how good is that leader?

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my nephew;s is the smartest guy in the room, but nobody will follow him. My son who has a 155 IQ and will be a dentist in 5 mos , and great football player will have people follow him. He doesn't say much, but compliments others and can crack on himself. He was captain of team that had Kwity Paye and then Xavier Truss after he left. Leadership is earned

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there lies the problem. Look, I'm 73 and I recognize that there are things I can no longer do as well as I did at 63. I also admit it. If I try to do things today, I have to plan them a bit more and a lot better. I do puzzles and write to keep my brain active, but I run an Editor after every chapter I write and record how many spelling and grammatical errors I make. I'm so aware of grammar that I'm pretty good and only average about 11 mistakes per chapter.

That brings me back to Bill. He's two years younger than me. He's not doing anything physical, but the mental stress is starting and the game has changed since 2000. Not that he's still in 2000 or 2005, but the game is constantly evolving and his brain, as good as it is, is having problems dealing with the modernizations. Lie most of us old farts, he beginning to refuse to make those changes because it causes him more stress. The problem for him is that those changes will continue and the chances that he will change are becoming less and less. It's problem that he, you and I are all facing and time waits for no man.

If you're in you 30s, you have no idea about what I'm saying. If you're in your mid-fifties, you're starting to feel it. If you're close to my age, hopefully you're admitting it

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my nephew;s is the smartest guy in the room, but nobody will follow him. My son who has a 155 IQ and will be a dentist in 5 mos , and great football player will have people follow him. He doesn't say much, but compliments others and can crack on himself. He was captain of team that had Kwity Paye and then Xavier Truss after he left. Leadership is earned
What I am saying is the smart ones that are not leaders won't win, Belechick is a narcissist that is the smartest in the room. ,473 record and 1-3 in playoffs w/p 1 player in 10 seasons