• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Mahomes GOAT thread (since this comes up in multiple threads)

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanted to concentrate the argument to one place

My take is it's obviously too soon to crown Mahomes the GOAT, he doesn't have the resume yet

But all the GOATs start off as young QBs. He's definitely on track to be that, and he's the best QB I've ever seen play. He's better than Brady and Montana and Rodgers and all the rest he just has to keep playing and the resume will follow.

Heck if he retired tomorrow he'd probably make the Hall of Fame

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
His style of play could cost him the longevity required to be called the Goat. An example of this would be Bo Jackson.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His style of play could cost him the longevity required to be called the Goat. An example of this would be Bo Jackson.
He's not a running back and not a primarily running QB either.

But yes injuries could be what stops him. Can't think of much else.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little early for goat talk.
He's pretty damn good tho.
That's my point, you can't call anyone that until they are old and have a resume to compare to Brady or Montana

But those guys were young once too...Mahomes is better than they were in terms of playing the position, all he needs now is to stack up the awards and titles. In his first 5 years he's got 2 league MVPs and 2 SB MVPs and 3 SB appearances already...

Brady kinda started the same, winning 3 SBs in his first few years, Mahomes is on the path anyway

IMO only injuries can prevent him from eventually being considered GOAT

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly, it is not too far fetched....

Sure, he needs longevity... but i think he is already top 20 QBs of all time...

already has 2 championships... and team wins because of him...

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, Mahomes' career is just one big thought experiment of "what if Dan Marino had multiple SB rings." Difficult to comp him to much anyone else statistically, but even that doesn't totally work. He is veering into unprecedented statistical territory. Happy he is on my favorite football team.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the three things he has off the charts right now are: 1) EPA, 2) Getting to AFCCG every year as a starter, 3) Unique record when trailing

Things working against him: number of young franchise QBs in the AFC, seems a little injury prone from the waist down, Chiefs defense/ST EPA during his tenure in the bottom third of the league.

Brady is so far ahead of everyone else, though, in public perception. I figured he was the obvious GOAT when he beat Atlanta in the SB. He then went to 3 Super Bowls after that winning 2 of them. At minimum, Mahomes is going to have to be at the top of the league for the next decade for a real conversation to be had.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the three things he has off the charts right now are: 1) EPA, 2) Getting to AFCCG every year as a starter, 3) Unique record when trailing

Things working against him: number of young franchise QBs in the AFC, seems a little injury prone from the waist down, Chiefs defense/ST EPA during his tenure in the bottom third of the league.

Brady is so far ahead of everyone else, though, in public perception. I figured he was the obvious GOAT when he beat Atlanta in the SB. He then went to 3 Super Bowls after that winning 2 of them. At minimum, Mahomes is going to have to be at the top of the league for the next decade for a real conversation to be had.
Makes sense. To me he's a better player than any of them, like who would you rather have at QB in their prime.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanted to concentrate the argument to one place

My take is it's obviously too soon to crown Mahomes the GOAT, he doesn't have the resume yet

But all the GOATs start off as young QBs. He's definitely on track to be that, and he's the best QB I've ever seen play. He's better than Brady and Montana and Rodgers and all the rest he just has to keep playing and the resume will follow.

Heck if he retired tomorrow he'd probably make the Hall of Fame

If he retired tomorrow he very well might be in the HOF. Incredible QB but it will be interesting to see what happens to him if/when Andy Reid retires and he's in somebody else's system. Additionally, at some point if the Chiefs keep winning their coaching staff is going to get pillaged.

Also have to credit the Chiefs with being able to seemingly tweak their roster every year without missing a beat. It's remarkable.

But ya, Mahomes is way up there.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Additionally, at some point if the Chiefs keep winning their coaching staff is going to get pillaged.
I actually think there is a good amount of evidence that teams dont want Bieniemy, Spagnuolo or Nagy. Although maybe EB does land somewhere this offseason.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think there is a good amount of evidence that teams dont want Bieniemy, Spagnuolo or Nagy. Although maybe EB does land somewhere this offseason.

That's a good point. The fact that Bieniemy hasn't been offered a HC gig means he either interviews really really poorly or I don't know what else. It sure seems like he's earned a shot.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he doesnt need to win as much as Brady to surpass brady... Brady, as great as he is, wasnt the biggest reason the patriots won... maybe not even the bucs...

Brady's teams won on good defense and a QB that doesnt make mistakes and makes enough PLUS plays...

Mahomes is a playmaker... his teams win because Mahomes wins them...

Brady is the best winner of all time... his longevity, confidence, work ethic, and demand for perfection was unparalleled. but Mahomes is a much better play maker than Brady ever was...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he doesnt need to win as much as Brady to surpass brady... Brady, as great as he is, wasnt the biggest reason the patriots won... maybe not even the bucs...

Brady's teams won on good defense and a QB that doesnt make mistakes and makes enough PLUS plays...

Mahomes is a playmaker... his teams win because Mahomes wins them...

Brady is the best winner of all time... his longevity, confidence, work ethic, and demand for perfection was unparalleled. but Mahomes is a much better play maker than Brady ever was...
I am curious as to how this plays out because I agree that he doesnt need as much as Brady but Brady made 10 Super Bowls. I think Mahomes probably needs at least 2 more MVPs or make at least 2 more Super Bowls before the conversation even becomes fun.

I spent most of my life without the Chiefs winning a playoff game so its not something to take for granted.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montana never lost and will always be in the conversation. Hell...Mahomes himself would tell you this.
Been watching football for over 50 years and Montana was the best field general I saw.
The GOAT conversation has to be era considered too, it's not just super bowls that define greatness.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montana never lost and will always be in the conversation. Hell...Mahomes himself would tell you this.

Been watching football for over 50 years and Montana was the best field general I saw.
The GOAT conversation has to be era considered too, it's not just super bowls that define greatness.

Been saying for years if I have one game to win it's Montana over everyone else.

In the biggest of games no turnovers and a 127.8 career passer rating, best all time.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montana is well respected with Chiefs fans for at least one obvious reason. Montana himself said that Brady passed him up a long time ago but the reality is that these guys are all pretty self-deprecating because they all know they belong to a pretty elite fraternity. Tom Brady talked to Mahomes about his ankle. I remember Steve Young talking about Aaron Rodgers as one of the best ever when Rodgers was in his prime. These guys obviously have a ton of respect for each other.

Montana v Brady isnt too terribly different than Jordan v Kareem. Its a good conversation. Mahomes has awhile to get into that.

I do think its interesting that Mahomes' big contract might not start looking so big in a couple of years when all of the other contenders pay their QB. You could have Mahomes as something like the 10th highest paid QB here shortly.