• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Seahawks vs 49ers - Week 14

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Lock played fine, wasn't the greatest game. But you know, for somebody who hasn't started in like 3 years. Knocking the rust off against one of the best teams in the NFL. I thought he was ok AND he should improve with playing time which he won't get. His 92 rating and 260+ yards gainst the 49rs is better than what Geno did against them AT HOME IN SEATTLE!

Lock should still have some growth in him Geno doesn't.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say this team is about 1 more loss (philly) from completely imploding and it's probably needed. Lose out the rest of the way and get into position to draft a QB.
I’m kinda ticked we gave away our 2nd round pick, kinda sick of Pete letting top picks go … If it wasn’t for the Russ trade we were sitting TERRIBLE for the future with the moves they made …

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Adams trade, which cost the Seahawks a pair of first-round picks, a third-round pick and Bradley McDougald, is looking like one of the worst trades in NFL history. They signed him to a four-year, $72 million deal before the 2021 season, making him the highest-paid safety in NFL history, and he remains the third-highest paid safety in the league.

Adams has played 34 games and missed 29 because of injuries in his four seasons in Seattle, and he hasn’t made the Pro Bowl since 2020.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The Adams trade, which cost the Seahawks a pair of first-round picks, a third-round pick and Bradley McDougald, is looking like one of the worst trades in NFL history. They signed him to a four-year, $72 million deal before the 2021 season, making him the highest-paid safety in NFL history, and he remains the third-highest paid safety in the league.

Adams has played 34 games and missed 29 because of injuries in his four seasons in Seattle, and he hasn’t made the Pro Bowl since 2020.

So Carroll is resorting to scapegoating his players now.

I'll give him credit in that he's been able to successfully use that goodwill from the LOB era to be able to deflect blame for years now but I get the feeling most of you Seahawks fans have or are starting to see through it.

Now that's not to say that players don't screw up but all these players and all these coaches are all under Carroll's watch. So if there is a problem on defense it starts with Carroll for either not coaching these guys correctly or having guys on the roster that can't execute properly.

And what's Pete's reasoning for the other games this season? In 13 games the Seahawks are in the bottom half of the league in pass and rush defense so are you going to tell me that the players are routinely bad in execution this often? If that's the case major lineup changes should've happened already.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who? I cant think of anyone local that could afford it except bezos and MAYBE ballmer but he owns the clippers already i dont know if he could own two teams.

Otherwise its someone who could be a threat to move the team

I'm not sure that Jody can sell the team yet. There was an agreement in the Seahawks stadium deal that required Paul Allen, or his heir, to keep control of the team for a certain number of years.

Just checked and, yup, she can't sell the team until May of 2024 at the earliest.

Could be later.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Carroll is resorting to scapegoating his players now.

I'll give him credit in that he's been able to successfully use that goodwill from the LOB era to be able to deflect blame for years now but I get the feeling most of you Seahawks fans have or are starting to see through it.

Now that's not to say that players don't screw up but all these players and all these coaches are all under Carroll's watch. So if there is a problem on defense it starts with Carroll for either not coaching these guys correctly or having guys on the roster that can't execute properly.

And what's Pete's reasoning for the other games this season? In 13 games the Seahawks are in the bottom half of the league in pass and rush defense so are you going to tell me that the players are routinely bad in execution this often? If that's the case major lineup changes should've happened already.

As I mentioned upthread, the entire problem with Pete's defensive system is that it requires that everyone execute near perfectly because the offenses know what the team is doing.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He also hasn't had a sack since signing the deal... and that's kinda the only reason he got the deal.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jamal Adams needs to be called out. I have never seen anyone just walk and act like he was with the beetles, talk trash on every tackle and get beat for touchdowns. He is getting paid like a top 3 safety he hasn't caught an INT, sacked, TFL or forced a fumble all year long.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamal Adams needs to be called out. I have never seen anyone just walk and act like he was with the beetles, talk trash on every tackle and get beat for touchdowns. He is getting paid like a top 3 safety he hasn't caught an INT, sacked, TFL or forced a fumble all year long.
I think it's basically a self-solving problem at this point. There is just no way he's retained beyond this season with a 2024 cap hit of $27M. Hopefully this is the last time the team needs to learn the don't trade picks for players lesson. On Adams, Graham, and Harvin, this front office lost 4 1st round draft picks and a pro bowl center.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's basically a self-solving problem at this point. There is just no way he's retained beyond this season with a 2024 cap hit of $27M. Hopefully this is the last time the team needs to learn the don't trade picks for players lesson. On Adams, Graham, and Harvin, this front office lost 4 1st round draft picks and a pro bowl center.

True but it did work out for Marshawn Lynch

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but it did work out for Marshawn Lynch
Yeah, no 1st rounder involved in that one -- a 4th and a 5th. I guess I should have specified a bit better.

Before this regime's 3 ill-fated trades of 1st round picks for players, we also foolishly sent off a 1st rounder for Deion Branch.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Adams trade was pure desperation.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, no 1st rounder involved in that one -- a 4th and a 5th. I guess I should have specified a bit better.

Before this regime's 3 ill-fated trades of 1st round picks for players, we also foolishly sent off a 1st rounder for Deion Branch.

I see your point but I will raise you that we do not have a good track record of drafting in the 1st round especially on the back end.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point but I will raise you that we do not have a good track record of drafting in the 1st round especially on the back end.
I suppose so, though I am not sure it's all that much different for most of the other teams. Seems about half of 1st rounders don't work out, and that might be a conservative figure.

And on top of trading away those picks, we turned around in all cases and signed those players to pretty big money deals. Double whammy.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m kinda ticked we gave away our 2nd round pick, kinda sick of Pete letting top picks go … If it wasn’t for the Russ trade we were sitting TERRIBLE for the future with the moves they made …
Yes I hate the way Pete and John trade away future picks hoping to get a slight bump in the present. It's been the biggest flaw in the Pete Carroll era. Pete definitely over rates his rosters and doesn't appreciate the value of draft picks. In part this is due to picking late in every round which really sucks as the cream keeps getting drafted ahead of the Seahawks pick, leaving them to sift through a pile of bums to try to find a gem that some how got past every other team.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I mentioned upthread, the entire problem with Pete's defensive system is that it requires that everyone execute near perfectly because the offenses know what the team is doing.
I disagree with that. First off it's not hard to know how defenses operate typically. Every team is dependent on the quality of their roster, injuries and depth at positions hit by injuries.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the branch trade was holmgren.

the rest of the trades, how many actually worked out? marshawn lynch and diggs? maybe brown who cost a 2nd rounder?

we also gave up a 2nd for that DT from the jets, that was a terrible trade.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed …. Harvin paid off for us, for 1 game .. LoL .. They should have let him go and kept Golden Tate the next year .. Pete has made some head scratching decisions since he struck gold when he first got here …

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the branch trade was holmgren.
Tracking. Holmgren had "full control" when he came over in 1999. That lasted a few years, deemed not to be successful (though he pretty much put together what was the nucleus of the 2005 SB team), then along came Bob Ferguson for a cup of coffee and then Tim Ruskell. Holmgren was not technically the GM when we traded the #1 for Branch, though that isn't to completely absolve him of involvement. Ruskell favored "high character" players from bigger programs even if they may not have been as productive as other prospects, and the overall talent level on the team took a pretty sharp downward turn in the back part of the '00s. In hindsight, I think Holmgren pulled down GM duties better than the other 2.
the rest of the trades, how many actually worked out? marshawn lynch and diggs? maybe brown who cost a 2nd rounder?

we also gave up a 2nd for that DT from the jets, that was a terrible trade.
It definitely seems like trades involving non-1st round picks have been a bit better. Even though our 1st round picks have been a mixed bag, that's probably still better than the results we've had from trading them away.