• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 1: Denver Broncos vs Seattle Seahawks

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah those guys were critical to the pass rush… Chris Clemens was also a big player on that D line for several years… Pete could never match the D-line he had his first several years here… He also swung and missed in the draft with D-line over and over, then the Jamal Adams debacle…

We also had the best free safety in the game and a corner who shut down an entire side of the field.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete's defense was heavily dependent on talent.

It kept things simple which allowed everyone to play fast and told opposing offenses you know what we're going to do and nothing you can do to stop it because we're just better than you.

The problem is and why I argued years ago Pete was making a mistake building around defense is that it's almost impossible to maintain it at a high level because you need so much talent at every level for it to work.

That's why building around the QB and offense is the smart play long term because it's one position that will last you 10+ years and has the biggest impact on your team's success.

The main failure of Pete is he never really got close to replacing Bennett and Avril and those guys were vital cogs to the defense and the LOB era really didn't start till he got both of those guys.

He tried... we got LJ Collier... :L

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impressive game by the defense to be honest.

The offense basically gifted them 7 points (two safeties and a field goal). The stat line says 26-20... but it was 26-13 and basically garbage time... so really it could've been 26-6 if Seattle had just been able to punt or get out of their own way offensively for 3 of the snaps.

My key player nods:
  • Hall got his first NFL sack (YES, I was rooting for this guy big time, almost a 1st round pick! He was barely played last year!)
  • Mafe of course looking good
  • Williams quietly had 4 QB hits, that contract worked out.
  • Love... WOW did that contract work out. Not only was he great in coverage, he led the team in tackles.
  • Woolen is probably relieved to have a coach that believes in him and allows him to do what he does best, COVER. And that's what he did. Led the team in PDs, got a pick, and looked like he was excited and pumped up to be out there.
  • Walker - I said before the game it should be in Seattle's interest to run the ball... and Walker delivered.
  • Lockett - I know this will probably be his last season with Seattle as he's getting older, but this guy still manages to do it...
I mean I could basically gush about everyone on the defense... the offense, oof. Not a lot of bright spots there. Although I was glad Grubb made some adjustments because the pass at all cost was NOT working out (as I predicted before this game). Denver has a good secondary, so passing like they were and deeper routes was not going to be successful. And that's fine to try Denver with it, but once it wasn't working Grubb shifted strategy and that's all I ask for (11 passes to 5 runs in the 1st quarter - Seattle ended the game with way more running than passing).

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense looked great. Certainly it helped that we faced a QB that couldn't go deep. So we can't get too excited about it.

I'm excited about it. I am so glad we are not sitting here this morning consoling each other and finding reasons to be hopeful after giving up a bunch of points to a rookie QB in his first NFL start. It couldn't have gone much better defensively, and that's a huge relief. It's too early to call this LOB 2.0, but I think we should be excited about a defensive performance that hasn't been around in at least 4 or 5 years.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited about it. I am so glad we are not sitting here this morning consoling each other and finding reasons to be hopeful after giving up a bunch of points to a rookie QB in his first NFL start. It couldn't have gone much better defensively, and that's a huge relief. It's too early to call this LOB 2.0, but I think we should be excited about a defensive performance that hasn't been around in at least 4 or 5 years.

The defense overcame quite a bit yesterday too... it could've been real easy to go down 21 points early, but they got Denver off the field which was important because Grubb started to shift the passing strategy to a running strategy. That slowed things down and got the offense clicking. You can't do that if you're behind 2-3 scores out of the gates.

And the big thing I can say that allowed the defense to flourish, the tackling has VASTLY improved. I get there's some new players, but a lot of returning players as well. I don't know if Mac just emphasized it more or everyone was worried about their jobs so they gave a shit, but the tackling was SPOT on from the defense.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was very pleased and encouraged by the defensive production... Night and Day from what we've been accustom to watching over the previous years... We were just swarming, ball hawking everywhere the ball went... I can't remember a time where our defense pretty much dominated the entire game like they did yesterday (outside of the last TD drive by Denver)... Definitely gives us hope and confirms that changing of the guard was necessary at this time...

Very happy to see MM get the "W" in his debut... He looked so happy on the sidelines, it was cool to see him hugging the coaches, players, etc... What I loved, that we haven't seen in a while was the halftime adjustments that took place on offense... The way our OL responded in that 2nd half was amazing to see and the commitment to the run...

All in all, hard to gauge just how good we were because we don't know if Denver is just going to be bad or not... If they are going to be bad this year, that his how a good defense should respond to a bad defense so I'll take it...

1-0!

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, hate trying to compare them to the LOB but sadly, because of the greatness of that defense, everything will be compared to them. However, I do see some similarities to late 2011/ early 2012 when that group of young guys were just flying around and making plays. Especially the LBs and DBs. It was so refreshing to just see guys reading things like screens or short throws and trusting what they saw and stopping guys before they got their legs going. And the scheme was really vanilla in this game so a lot of room for growth once they get the entire playbook learned. The open field tackling angles were awesome. Denver's guys had nowhere to go after the catch. I was also happy to see( I believe) seven 3 and outs and a lot of 3rd down stops.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your "D" was swarming for sure. I think Payton was counting on the running game going better. No reason a rookie should be throwing 42 passes in his NFL debut. It was crazy how the backs and receivers had literally no YAC. Most of the time, they were hit immediately and often behind the line of scrimmage. I was impressed with the Seahawks defense. Our wide receivers dropped a few passes but Nix was also pretty inaccurate on several throws. That was a little surprising, since accuracy was a hallmark of his in college. Of course, in the NFL, the windows are insanely tighter. Good win for your team. On to week 2...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody else see Marshawn giving little mac a back rub?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense overcame quite a bit yesterday too... it could've been real easy to go down 21 points early, but they got Denver off the field ...

Absolutely. The Denver O scored on 4 possessions; 2 of them started deep in our territory, and they got stuffed. Had they capitalized better on those opportunities, that could have changed how the rest of the game went.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was crazy how the backs and receivers had literally no YAC. Most of the time, they were hit immediately and often behind the line of scrimmage.

This just jumped off the screen. Like you say, Denver receivers were getting hit immediately almost every time they caught it. This plus sure tackling were 2 big improvements from what we saw last year and the year before. Now to go do it vs SF and LAR....

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, hate trying to compare them to the LOB but sadly, because of the greatness of that defense, everything will be compared to them.

Yeah, I get what you mean. They'll always be the ultimate measuring stick for this franchise on that side of the ball. You can't really expect to replicate that, but for a game or 2 here and there it would be great to get close.

However, I do see some similarities to late 2011/ early 2012 when that group of young guys were just flying around and making plays. Especially the LBs and DBs. It was so refreshing to just see guys reading things like screens or short throws and trusting what they saw and stopping guys before they got their legs going.
The LB play was very good yesterday. We hadn't really seen Dodson & Baker on the field, but if that was any indication then it's quite clear Macdonald knows exactly the kind of players that fit what he wants to do. If J-Love plays like that this year on a consistent basis, it's going to be the best safety play we've seen for sure since ET's prime.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your "D" was swarming for sure. I think Payton was counting on the running game going better. No reason a rookie should be throwing 42 passes in his NFL debut. It was crazy how the backs and receivers had literally no YAC. Most of the time, they were hit immediately and often behind the line of scrimmage. I was impressed with the Seahawks defense. Our wide receivers dropped a few passes but Nix was also pretty inaccurate on several throws. That was a little surprising, since accuracy was a hallmark of his in college. Of course, in the NFL, the windows are insanely tighter. Good win for your team. On to week 2...
GG, Good luck going forward…

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody else see Marshawn giving little mac a back rub?
I wasn't a big fan of it. It's one thing if it was before kickoff, but it was during the game and Lynch isn't a player or coach or anything but a legend/mascot right now. Inappropriate to go and touch the coach during the game, IMO. I bet he wouldn't have done that to PC or Mike Holmgren or Chuck Knox. You don't see Steve Largent or Walter Jones doing that. Macdonald handled it with grace, but I bet behind closed doors he didn't appreciate it.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 39,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL I always love that clip, but the fact he thinks legit about it before answering no to the most humiliation ever given to his niece. Uncle Buck was the best!
Totally agree! He gave it a sec or two just to give her some hope before crushing her hopes which was fantastic. His golf game was on point nailing that kid twice while he was running. Such an awesome movie!

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 39,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't see the game or catch the highlights but how did Byron Murphy do?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't see the game or catch the highlights but how did Byron Murphy do?
Mostly a role player type game for him I think. I don't recall any splash plays, but I also don't remember any glaring mistakes.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 39,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly a role player type game for him I think. I don't recall any splash plays, but I also don't remember any glaring mistakes.
Thank you! For being first pro game I'll take no glaring mistakes over splash plays. His splash plays will come in time.