• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 1: Denver Broncos vs Seattle Seahawks

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On one of the podcasts on youtube the other day, I predicted a 24-20 Hawks win and not covering the spread. Was not happy with the start when we really shot ourselves in the foot. Not too keen on keeping Tomlinson in there at LG. He looked awful out there. Not sure if Haynes is still too young and just not ready but think they should think about giving him a shot. Fant going out totally sucks. God, I hope Lucas can get back soon. The O-line is everything. Love the running by K9 in the second half. I'm not as sold on Charbonnet anymore though but I think he's a better blocker in pass pro.
But I'm damn pleased with the defense, even though they caught a break with a rookie QB obviously being shaky. Considering, the defense will likely not be fully developed until mid-season, I'm happy with some of the things I see like the open field tackling and pursuit to the ball. Really like what I saw from Dodson and the safeties today. They were flying to the ball and sticking guys.
All in all, happy with the W, of course but lots of stuff to clean up. To be expected this early with very little pre-season prep. I do think will get cleaner and crisper as we go forward and I think there's a few games early we should win to give us a little breathing room.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,354.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Russ got away with that a lot , I was always wondering why they fall for pump fakes when he can’t do a forward pass… Just a situational awareness thing …

It's just a reflex actually. I rarely don't see people fall for it when it's not 15 yards down the field lol

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just a reflex actually. I rarely don't see people fall for it when it's not 15 yards down the field lol

I just reached the play, the fake came before Nix crossed the line of scrimmage. After the fake he starts his spin when he reaches the 4 (LOS) Witherspoon just couldn't adjust cause he was in the air. Literally, no way to play that cause if he threw the ball it's most likely a td.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now c'mon announcers, you can't shit all over the guy especially after he made the kick... seriously? WTF... throw both these asshats in the ocean... I'll show them what pressure is..

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now c'mon announcers, you can't shit all over the guy especially after he made the kick... seriously? WTF... throw both these asshats in the ocean... I'll show them what pressure is..

Shark Week GIF

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 39,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I did everything I could Hooplans.. some of you were there for me, some of you weren't... without most of you.. the Seahawks would've never stood a chance, but with our support, WE stood a chance! ............ I dunno what else to say. I would appreciate you all donate $5 over the next few days and a blueberry toaster strudel.....
John Candy No GIF by Laff

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense balled all game long.

I loved watching them make adjustments all game long on both sides of the ball instead of just stubbornly doing the same thing over and over again hoping for better results it was such a breathe of fresh air.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense balled all game long.

I loved watching them make adjustments all game long on both sides of the ball instead of just stubbornly doing the same thing over and over again hoping for better results it was such a breathe of fresh air.
I know man, our defense was so effin predictable under Pete and I couldn’t wrap my mind around it, NO adjustments, lame blitzes, stubbornly sitting in zones that would make every NFL QB look like Tom Brady … Massive gaps in coverage over and over and over … Was really surprising with Pete being a defensive minded coach and having such a dam good defense his first 4-5 years here … I think his age was catching up with him honestly …

Tapey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know man, our defense was so effin predictable under Pete and I couldn’t wrap my mind around it, NO adjustments, lame blitzes, stubbornly sitting in zones that would make every NFL QB look like Tom Brady … Massive gaps in coverage over and over and over … Was really surprising with Pete being a defensive minded coach and having such a dam good defense his first 4-5 years here … I think his age was catching up with him honestly …
I think Pete still had a pretty solid eye for talent, I just think his message got stale and modern offensives passed him up.

Tapey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I know it was only 1 game and this might be an overreaction but Jenkins/Love >>>> Diggs/Adams.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Pete's defense was heavily dependent on talent.

It kept things simple which allowed everyone to play fast and told opposing offenses you know what we're going to do and nothing you can do to stop it because we're just better than you.

The problem is and why I argued years ago Pete was making a mistake building around defense is that it's almost impossible to maintain it at a high level because you need so much talent at every level for it to work.

That's why building around the QB and offense is the smart play long term because it's one position that will last you 10+ years and has the biggest impact on your team's success.

The main failure of Pete is he never really got close to replacing Bennett and Avril and those guys were vital cogs to the defense and the LOB era really didn't start till he got both of those guys.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It kept things simple which allowed everyone to play fast and told opposing offenses you know what we're going to do and nothing you can do to stop it because we're just better than you.

The problem is and why I argued years ago Pete was making a mistake building around defense is that it's almost impossible to maintain it at a high level because you need so much talent at every level for it to work.

That's why building around the QB and offense is the smart play long term because it's one position that will last you 10+ years and has the biggest impact on your team's success.

The main failure of Pete is he never really got close to replacing Bennett and Avril and those guys were vital cogs to the defense and the LOB era really didn't start till he got both of those guys.
Bennett and Avril were the final pieces to the puzzle that turned the LOB from really good to great and won them the SB. But the drafts in 2011-12 netted them the key pieces. Earl Thomas, Kam, K.J. Wright, Sherman, then of course, Wagz. And having veteran beasts up front like Mebane, Clemons and Bryant. That's a shitload of talent. It was impossible to replace all of that, imo, without a lot of luck. Pete thought he could just turn over guys and not change anything and that never works in this league. We also had just enough offense with Russ and Beastmode and a bunch of hungry WRs that weren't household names to get over the hump. But they got us one Lombardi so I'm happy.
I do agree with all the offense in the league nowadays that it's easier to sustain winning that way longterm, tho. There's only so many games you can win relying only on defense. Steelers are showing us that. Defenses just get too worn out without a sustainable offense.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,977.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was just one game, but it was good to see adjustments on both sides of the ball and for the better in both cases.

The defense was doing it from start to finish. Impressive for a mostly new personnel group on that side with a whole new defense. Leaves us hope.

Geno starting off with an unforced turnover was the least ideal way you could launch a new offense. The line was just bad and the whole unit was a bit out of step. Flash backs to previous years when the offense takes half the game off.

Still, to come out in the second half and score on 3 straight drives was nice to see. They ended up getting both the running and passing games going off of each other.

I'm sure that line is going to be a sub plot to the whole season. At least for one quarter we saw this staff and that unit could work together and move the ball. It's a place to start.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah those guys were critical to the pass rush… Chris Clemens was also a big player on that D line for several years… Pete could never match the D-line he had his first several years here… He also swung and missed in the draft with D-line over and over, then the Jamal Adams debacle…

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously the 1st half was a house of horrors. The OL gave me some PTSD flashbacks to those 2017 era O lines. Tomlinson and Bradford were particularly terrible.

Incredible half time adjustments by the coaching staff. Kudos to Ryan Grubb for sticking with the running game.

The defense looked great. Certainly it helped that we faced a QB that couldn't go deep. So we can't get too excited about it. But the run defense was outstanding. I absolutely loved how the players flew to the ball. What an antidote to the years of the Hawks getting torched on screens.