• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 5- Seahawks vs. NY Giants

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that game was complete ass from start to finish, but there was 1 victory Sunday:

I beat Lofa Tatupu at corhhole!

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can count no less than a dozen times Geno checked out of a play. He's on a prove it year and has the ability to check out of the run.

No way the coaches will throw Smith under the bus, but they have to take that away from him if they really want to run at all costs.

That and the penalties Geno kept creating for taking too long to check out of plays to begin with.

Need to reduce the amount of things he has to think about pre snap.

That was a total mess all around. Grubb gets a D. Macdonald gets a D. Geno a D+ given he did drive down to win/tie at the end, but otherwise had a bad day. Both lines get a D and the overall execution on Defense gets an F- with that piss poor tackling.

I was actually thinking of starting a thread about Geno Smith at what point do we look at him and think its time to move on. He had a great 2022 season but we can't just lean on that as if that makes him our permanent guy. He had an average season last year and he looks to be on his way for another average season this year and this looks like an 8 possibly 9 win team with him if we are being objective. Luckily for him the upcoming draft doesn't look to have a lot of QBs so his biggest competitor is Sam Howell.

Sometimes I think back to when Baker Mayfield was a free agent and everyone thought he was signing with Seattle. Looking at what he is doing in Tampa I wonder what could have been.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually thinking of starting a thread about Geno Smith at what point do we look at him and think its time to move on. He had a great 2022 season but we can't just lean on that as if that makes him our permanent guy. He had an average season last year and he looks to be on his way for another average season this year and this looks like an 8 possibly 9 win team with him if we are being objective. Luckily for him the upcoming draft doesn't look to have a lot of QBs so his biggest competitor is Sam Howell.

Sometimes I think back to when Baker Mayfield was a free agent and everyone thought he was signing with Seattle. Looking at what he is doing in Tampa I wonder what could have been.
I think the Geno situation is about where most of us thought it was when he signed his current deal: he'll play out the 2024 season as the starter, and then the Hawks have a pretty clear path to move on from him if that's what they want to do. We haven't lost either game so far due to Geno Smith.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Geno situation is about where most of us thought it was when he signed his current deal: he'll play out the 2024 season as the starter, and then the Hawks have a pretty clear path to move on from him if that's what they want to do. We haven't lost either game so far due to Geno Smith.

Its weird to me because he didn't necessarily have a terrible game against the Giants as he didn't turn the ball over but who is at fault for the 1st TD of the game from the offense coming in the 4th quarter with 6 minutes left? The last 2 losses Geno dropped back basically 100x and managed 2 TDs that isn't good.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,053.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its weird to me because he didn't necessarily have a terrible game against the Giants as he didn't turn the ball over but who is at fault for the 1st TD of the game from the offense coming in the 4th quarter with 6 minutes left? The last 2 losses Geno dropped back basically 100x and managed 2 TDs that isn't good.
While I totally agree that Geno could have played better, I think it's totally disingenuous to use a lack of TDs as a measuring stick. Obviously, I would love to see more as well but in the Lions game he had 3 times where a WR was tackled inside the 5 yd line. And then we punch it in running. I don't see that as a Geno problem or even an issue with the offense as a whole. I actually consider that good football.
This last game was entirely on a horrible effort by the defense from the opening whistle. Geno did what we saw for years from RW. The offense sputtered for 3 quarters but Geno gave us a chance to at least tie it at the end. We didn't really deserve that and didn't get the bounces and there was some questionable stuff but it's done.
I think it's fair to say that after DK fumbled (fucking again), that he got sulky out there and looked a little bit uninterested at times because the game was going badly. This has been a somewhat common theme with DK throughout his career and the reason he isn't considered one of the elite WRs in the league. He can be very immature at times. I love the guy, don't get me wrong but he's supposed to be stepping up to be a leader now and instead, he sits on the bench by himself and mopes.
Geno got sacked 7 times and a few of those were because our WRs were not beating their man which is ridiculous considering the Giants secondary is really not good. Fwiw, I'm not absolving Geno of any blame here either. He is the leader and the QB and it comes with the territory but I just don't think he is our main reason for that embarrassment on Sunday. There's plenty of blame to spread around from the coaching down to every player on the roster.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can count no less than a dozen times Geno checked out of a play. He's on a prove it year and has the ability to check out of the run.

No way the coaches will throw Smith under the bus, but they have to take that away from him if they really want to run at all costs.

That and the penalties Geno kept creating for taking too long to check out of plays to begin with.

Need to reduce the amount of things he has to think about pre snap.

That was a total mess all around. Grubb gets a D. Macdonald gets a D. Geno a D+ given he did drive down to win/tie at the end, but otherwise had a bad day. Both lines get a D and the overall execution on Defense gets an F- with that piss poor tackling.

Yah it was getting ridiculous. Even the announcers were noticing. They'd hurry up offense and get up to the line quickly, and then Geno would fart around (sometimes calling 2 audibles) for 20 seconds and take the playclock down to almost 0. It caused false starts, allowed the defense to get ready, knowing the gameclock is winding down (which they are keeping an eye on), ability to time the snap better, etc.

I posted somewhere in this thread something along the lines of "GENO, YOU ARE NOT PEYTON MANNING. Knock it the F off."

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I totally agree that Geno could have played better, I think it's totally disingenuous to use a lack of TDs as a measuring stick. Obviously, I would love to see more as well but in the Lions game he had 3 times where a WR was tackled inside the 5 yd line. And then we punch it in running. I don't see that as a Geno problem or even an issue with the offense as a whole. I actually consider that good football.
This last game was entirely on a horrible effort by the defense from the opening whistle. Geno did what we saw for years from RW. The offense sputtered for 3 quarters but Geno gave us a chance to at least tie it at the end. We didn't really deserve that and didn't get the bounces and there was some questionable stuff but it's done.
I think it's fair to say that after DK fumbled (fucking again), that he got sulky out there and looked a little bit uninterested at times because the game was going badly. This has been a somewhat common theme with DK throughout his career and the reason he isn't considered one of the elite WRs in the league. He can be very immature at times. I love the guy, don't get me wrong but he's supposed to be stepping up to be a leader now and instead, he sits on the bench by himself and mopes.
Geno got sacked 7 times and a few of those were because our WRs were not beating their man which is ridiculous considering the Giants secondary is really not good. Fwiw, I'm not absolving Geno of any blame here either. He is the leader and the QB and it comes with the territory but I just don't think he is our main reason for that embarrassment on Sunday. There's plenty of blame to spread around from the coaching down to every player on the roster.

Good post. The New York game - the team flopped on basically everything. Tomlinson/Bradford got destroyed (can we PLEASE get Bradford out of there?), the WRs were dropping if not fumbling (DK), Geno was audibling like he was Peyton Manning, Grubb gave the runningbacks SEVEN carries even though we a) started with the ball, b) had it 7-0 and 7-7... and it was tied going into half.

Then the defense... I mean if that didn't look like Carroll's defense, I don't know what does. DBs playing way off on WRs that would be lucky to be a #3 on most teams, no run defense, missed tackles, no real consistent pressure (Jones was 14/16 at one point), heavy zone defensive looks, not playing the ball or going for turnovers. There was one specific play I remember where it was 3rd and 6 or so, Jones throws the ball and Dodson is running towards the TE or whatever who was covered and then before the ball gets there he STOPS (literally stops running), waits for him to catch it, and then hits him hard. I'm like, "WTF? Just put on the afterburners and go for the interception, it was there." Goofy stuff man...

And I personally thought the ball was above the white line (TD) before it started moving on that fumble return. IMO It should've been 27-6 going into the 4th quarter (30-6 shortly to follow). I know Seattle's D wasn't letting them on the field much, but when Seattle's O had the ball they really weren't doing fuck all with it either. I know the fumble, but it's ONE turnover. You aren't down 24 pts. because of one turnover. Hell Giants had one and it swung 14 points.

And on an unrelated but slightly related note... can we PLEASE for the love of God fire the training/conditioning staff on this team? I mean last year the whole OL was out, this year the whole front 7 is out... now Woolen is injured, I mean WTF?

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,053.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm with you Shark on the fumble return. I think we got a Chiefs level break from the refs on that one. We honestly had no business winning that game. It was obvious from the start that guys on the defense were coasting and seemed afraid of getting hurt. Letting a rookie 6th rd RB run the ball down our throat and a group of back-up WRs get easy releases all day long because of a lame zone scheme. Not to mention, MacDonald not even trying to send extra pressure to get Jones rattled. The Giants Oline is improved from last year and we weren't winning with a 4 man rush. And the book on Jones is simple. Hell, on the very first play from scrimmage, Hall flushed him and he fucked up. It's not rocket science.
All the talk going in about concentrating on this week was empty. They totally looked past the Giants to the Niners and it burned them. Give Giants and Jones credit for playing the best game they have in about a decade but we gave that away and that is unacceptable.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A super frustrating game especially as I was there with some Giants fans. Here's a few observations.

Our pass rush is MIA. Williams isn't 100%. Mafe was out. Nwosu is questionable to play this Thursday. No defense can succeed without a pass rush

Tre Brown was absolute trash. He was on coverage for nearly every big passing play save some of the screens.

This game was reminiscent of the Carroll teams. Defense gives up long clock eating drives. Offense can't establish the run because they don't have enough plays to do so. Offensive line then starts screwing up and killing the few drives we did have.

DK MUST learn to hold on to the football. While I don't think his fumble mattered all that much last week, it was crushing this week.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A super frustrating game especially as I was there with some Giants fans. Here's a few observations.

Our pass rush is MIA. Williams isn't 100%. Mafe was out. Nwosu is questionable to play this Thursday. No defense can succeed without a pass rush

Tre Brown was absolute trash. He was on coverage for nearly every big passing play save some of the screens.

This game was reminiscent of the Carroll teams. Defense gives up long clock eating drives. Offense can't establish the run because they don't have enough plays to do so. Offensive line then starts screwing up and killing the few drives we did have.

DK MUST learn to hold on to the football. While I don't think his fumble mattered all that much last week, it was crushing this week.

It mattered last week too. Seattle was already on FG range and if it wasn't for K9 that was a homerun TD return. It didn't matter anyway because Detroit easily pounded it in for 7 with such a short field. If we score 7 on that drive, there's a good chance the game is tied 35-35 towards the end.

Fumbles happen, I get it. DK has 10 fumbles though since 2019... that's quite hefty. 30+ drops too (although he does get targeted quite a bit).

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I think they'll be giving more carries to the RBs next week. What McDonald needs to do is keep a eye on weekly and make sure the offense doesn't get away from it as it can happen without the intent to do so going into a game.

This has always been Grubbs MO, I said as much when they hired him. The Huskies under him with ranked 100th in Rushing production but 208th in rushing attempts. Meaning they were have great success running it but they were not running it much at all lol. Thats trend has followed him.