• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers welcome the Pale Hose from the South Side for a weekend set: 9/17-19

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The advent of commercials first slowed down games. That ain’t gonna change
My beef which is a non issue this year seemed to be the roster influx of relief pitchers and the endless parade. Did not like the 3 batter rule. The time for checking replays In NY is way too long
Let the umps manage mound visits
I don’t mind umps managing too long between pitches but a hard and fast rule seems anti baseball. Stark is an ok writer like him better than Heyman. But. Meh
I love the three batter rule.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah my next business venture is a nursing home catering to old baseball relics.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we're at it, DH needs to be universal. NL can keep letting their pitchers bat if they want, but AL teams shouldn't have to adjust depending on the home field.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the three batter rule.
You get that be default with a limited roster minus postseason which I am good with no rule.
To me a Loogy is an ok addition to a postseason roster

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will take the pitch clock and please give me the automated strike zone.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why not just get rid of umps who are hacks and a bit premadonna

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamey Newberg asked for questions earlier this week and has answered some of them today. I will post a few. The first question is from me.

Looking over the next year to three years of free agency, who would you want for the Rangers if they went after two of the top bats available and two more good bats? — Bennie B.

Bennie’s onto something, I think. The Rangers need a lot. But given this season’s developments, you’d imagine the lineup will be the immediate focus for two reasons. First, the young pitching is ahead of the bats, both in Arlington (Dane Dunning, Taylor Hearn, A.J. Alexy, Glenn Otto and reliever Joe Barlow taking big steps forward) and on the farm (Cole Winn and Jack Leiter leading a group that could be a year or two behind them). Second, there will be more shopping opportunities ahead for everyday hitters than for long-term rotation candidates.

With the exception of third base, there’s not a position at which the Rangers wouldn’t at least gauge the free-agency market. (Sure, Josh Jung could conceivably slide to second base, but Texas has as much prospect depth at that spot as anywhere else on the diamond.)

Using your constraints, give me Correa and Michael Conforto (who’s come alive this month) this winter and then Joey Gallo and Byron Buxton an offseason later.

But I’d also consider the real possibility that the Rangers could package two or three prospects to get a hitter that fits the “top bat” profile you described, if not this winter then maybe next.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamey Newberg asked for questions earlier this week and has answered some of them today. I will post a few. The first question is from me.

Looking over the next year to three years of free agency, who would you want for the Rangers if they went after two of the top bats available and two more good bats? — Bennie B.

Bennie’s onto something, I think. The Rangers need a lot. But given this season’s developments, you’d imagine the lineup will be the immediate focus for two reasons. First, the young pitching is ahead of the bats, both in Arlington (Dane Dunning, Taylor Hearn, A.J. Alexy, Glenn Otto and reliever Joe Barlow taking big steps forward) and on the farm (Cole Winn and Jack Leiter leading a group that could be a year or two behind them). Second, there will be more shopping opportunities ahead for everyday hitters than for long-term rotation candidates.

With the exception of third base, there’s not a position at which the Rangers wouldn’t at least gauge the free-agency market. (Sure, Josh Jung could conceivably slide to second base, but Texas has as much prospect depth at that spot as anywhere else on the diamond.)

Using your constraints, give me Correa and Michael Conforto (who’s come alive this month) this winter and then Joey Gallo and Byron Buxton an offseason later.

But I’d also consider the real possibility that the Rangers could package two or three prospects to get a hitter that fits the “top bat” profile you described, if not this winter then maybe next.
He is big time in the Corea camp.
I agree with you both re pitching

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like Newberg, but his affinity for Gallo is based way more on emotion than actual baseball sense.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another question for Jamey.

Predict one trade this winter where the Rangers send at least two well-regarded prospects off in exchange for a young, controllable vet. Something similar to the (Nathaniel) Lowe trade. — Mike C.

I dig this question because it’s one you can absolutely imagine being chewed on upstairs at 734 Stadium Drive while we’re left to blindly speculate. OK … the factors for the target, as I work through this: (1) A player with at least three years of club control (2) who has offensive upside but (3) is either having a down year or doesn’t fit his team’s window and (4) may also be expendable because of younger players knocking on the door.

Diamondbacks outfielder-second baseman Ketel Marte and Yankees middle infielder Gleyber Torres come to mind but both are controllable only through 2024, and I’m greedier than that. What could be more similar to the Lowe trade with the Rays than a Lowe trade with the Rays, only this time for Brandon, rather than Nathaniel? The second baseman-outfielder is controllable through 2026 and Vidal Bruján is coming fast … but Texas has a lot of second base candidates on the way and B. Lowe isn’t great in the outfield.

So, I re-read those four factors and added another: (5) Seattle GM Jerry Dipoto never sits out on trades. Outfielders Jarred Kelenic and Taylor Trammell have debuted and fellow high-end prospect Julio Rodriguez is close. Mitch Haniger is around for another year and Jake Fraley and Dylan Moore for longer than that. If I’m Texas, I’m checking in on 2020 Rookie of the Year Kyle Lewis, whose knee injury has limited him to 36 league-average games this year.

The deal: Sam Huff, Sherten Apostel and Marc Church to the M’s for Lewis.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamey's answer to this one is surprising to me.

Which of the following do you see starting on Opening Day 2024? Huff, Jung, Foscue, Wendzel, Josh Smith, Crim, Harris, Duran and Zavala. — Bennie B.

Do I have to limit it to starting roles with Texas? If so, my answer to that unanswerable question would be Jung, Duran and Harris.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is big time in the Corea camp.
I agree with you both re pitching
Just 3 months ago he was really big into not only signing Story, but trading for him to help facilitate a signing.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamey's answer to this one is surprising to me.

Which of the following do you see starting on Opening Day 2024? Huff, Jung, Foscue, Wendzel, Josh Smith, Crim, Harris, Duran and Zavala. — Bennie B.

Do I have to limit it to starting roles with Texas? If so, my answer to that unanswerable question would be Jung, Duran and Harris.

Guess he thinks Huff is a likely candidate to be traded

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RE: Correa -

There was a Reddit thread about him last night, with the general consensus being his contract will likely approach Lindor's (10/340).

Anyone here good with that for him?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don’t sing take me out to the ballgame unless there is something sacred about the great game

Yes corruption is alive and still lurking. And the writers are quick to complain about the length of the game. Just change your profession.
I am becoming an old codger. Not seeing the love of the game and respect by some of the newbie writers. It is alll about the marketing and. I thing about the game
It burns my hide a bit
Well said.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There was a Reddit thread about him last night, with the general consensus being his contract will likely approach Lindor's (10/340).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess he thinks Huff is a likely candidate to be traded
Yeah, he mentioned in another question that he thought Otto and one of the three hitters acquired in the Gallo trade would be a part of our future, and the other two hitters would be a part of trades.

Of those three I would rather keep Smith.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I expect to pay an AAV of between $30-35 million for top hitters. When I gave a breakdown, once before, about how our budget coukd play out, I mentioned having two hitters in the $30 million AAV range.