• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Labor Day weekend finds the Rangers in Anaheim: TEX v LAA 9/3-5

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight Glenn Otto faces off against presumptive AL MVP Shohei Ohtani at 8:38 pm. Allard follows tomorrow at 8:07 pm hoping to get back on track, and Hearn looks to solidify his position as staff ace on Sunday at 3:07 pm. In the draft race, PIT is @ CHC, ARI hosts the M's, and BAL is in NYY. Expect each of them to lose at least 2.

Have a safe holiday weekend, gents.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Wilson recently spoke to Jon Daniels. Here is some of what he had to say.

“It is a good free-agent class, but it also appears to be a good free-agent class a year from now and two years from now,” Daniels said. “We want to take meaningful steps forward, but we don’t necessarily need to do all of our shopping in one free-agent class.”

Don’t roll your eyes. The Rangers know what’s coming from the minors and also know that they have players who can play multiple positions. It’s piecing the prospect timelines with the big-league team’s immediate and future needs.

That might reduce the number of big-name players the Rangers pursue immediately, but not how much they can spend.

“That allows us to really target who are the best fits overall,” Daniels said. “Because of that, there aren’t many players that we will be out on. From a position standpoint, I think it’s going to be more, does he fit for us financially, does he fit for us as a player we really want to acquire? We can really consider guys at just about any position.”

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it’s going to be more, does he fit for us financially
I hope he means, does he fit for us financially considering we are one of the largest markets in the nation, and not, considering we are used to having a fairly cheap payroll.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he means, does he fit for us financially considering we are one of the largest markets in the nation, and not, considering we are used to having a fairly cheap payroll.

Kind of a vague, poorly worded statement from JD, but I do like hearing the parts about players being the best fit overall. There are many things to take into account.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Wilson recently spoke to Jon Daniels. Here is some of what he had to say.

“It is a good free-agent class, but it also appears to be a good free-agent class a year from now and two years from now,” Daniels said. “We want to take meaningful steps forward, but we don’t necessarily need to do all of our shopping in one free-agent class.”

Don’t roll your eyes. The Rangers know what’s coming from the minors and also know that they have players who can play multiple positions. It’s piecing the prospect timelines with the big-league team’s immediate and future needs.

That might reduce the number of big-name players the Rangers pursue immediately, but not how much they can spend.

“That allows us to really target who are the best fits overall,” Daniels said. “Because of that, there aren’t many players that we will be out on. From a position standpoint, I think it’s going to be more, does he fit for us financially, does he fit for us as a player we really want to acquire? We can really consider guys at just about any position.”
The difference between this upcoming off-seasons free agent list and 2022-2023 is night and day.
there are about 25-30 free agents who are pretty damn solid this off season. Only 13 next off season.
Judge, Trea Turner, Xander Bogaerts, Berrios, Gallo
maybe Buxton, Mancini, Swanson, Clevinger Taijuan Walker and Musgrove, Naquin and Nimmo.

this off-season seems like a good time to add since the supply will be higher than demand.
There will be massive bidding wars in 2022-2023 off-season.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screenshot_20210903-084449_Samsung Internet.jpg

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference between this upcoming off-seasons free agent list and 2022-2023 is night and day.
there are about 25-30 free agents who are pretty damn solid this off season. Only 13 next off season.
maybe Buxton, Mancini, Swanson, Clevinger Taijuan Walker and Musgrove, Naquin and Nimmo.

this off-season seems like a good time to add since the supply will be higher than demand.

I would be shocked if Judge reaches free agency.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't mind them being limited this year as far as how many they sign. If they just sign one it would be fine with me if it was one if the best three or four. Then they could do the same the next year.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind them being limited this year as far as how many they sign. If they just sign one it would be fine with me if it was one if the best three or four. Then they could do the same the next year.

"best" has different definitions, though. The Angels like signing one of the overall best FA's, and it doesn't amount to anything for them because they don't focus on what they actually need.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"best" has different definitions, though. The Angels like signing one of the overall best FA's, and it doesn't amount to anything for them because they don't focus on what they actually need.
JD seemed to make it pretty clear that they will consider every position, so I don't think he sees us as only having a need here or there.

I think it would be hard for us to make that mistake you said the Angels have made because we have so many needs. We don't have just one or two needs that require us to focus on just those needs.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD seemed to make it pretty clear that they will consider every position, so I don't think he sees us as only having a need here or there.

I think it would be hard for us to make that mistake you said the Angels have made because we have so many needs. We don't have just one or two needs that require us to focus on just those needs.

What I mean is, whatever FA's the Rangers sign, I hope it's more about addressing needs rather than just signing a guy with good stats. And part of it ties into the original post mentioning what we have in the minors and those timelines as well.

Put it another way: one of the issues with the Rangers you've mentioned multiple times is that they love drafting/trading for middle IF prospects, to an excessive amount. And the top FA targets this winter are all SS. So do the Rangers still go after one, and let the guys in the farm sort it out later? Or do the Rangers stick with the idea that a kid they have will take over in a few years?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I mean is, whatever FA's the Rangers sign, I hope it's more about addressing needs rather than just signing a guy with good stats. And part of it ties into the original post mentioning what we have in the minors and those timelines as well.

Put it another way: one of the issues with the Rangers you've mentioned multiple times is that they love drafting/trading for middle IF prospects, to an excessive amount. And the top FA targets this winter are all SS. So do the Rangers still go after one, and let the guys in the farm sort it out later? Or do the Rangers stick with the idea that a kid they have will take over in a few years?
I would say avoid signing a SS if they had someone in Jung's class to play SS. They don't though. Both Smith and Duran are not certainties to even stick at SS.

I think our biggest need is really good bats.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say avoid signing a SS if they had someone in Jung's class to play SS. They don't though. Both Smith and Duran are not certainties to even stick at SS.

I think our biggest need is really good bats.

alright, so who is your preferred target(s) and what is your estimated contract?

I like Story or Correa. 8/260 is my ceiling.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone else as excited about Glenn Otto as I am? The guy has pitched well all throughout the minors and now that he has that swing and miss slider, i feel he will be very important to our success next year.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
alright, so who is your preferred target(s) and what is your estimated contract?

I’m afraid Correa will get 10 year 320 million
I would rather sign story at like 7 years/$160 mil
$25 mil a year first 4 then $23, $20, $17 the last 3. With incentives for AS appearances and Top 15 MVP finishes

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m afraid Correa will get 10 year 320 million
I would rather sign story at like 7 years/$160 mil
$25 mil a year first 4 then $23, $20, $17 the last 3. With incentives for AS appearances and Top 15 MVP finishes

There's going to be two things working against the Rangers on this:

1) The Lindor deal
2) Whichever contract is signed first will set the tone for the rest of the market

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) The Lindor deal
2) Whichever contract is signed first will set the tone for the rest of the market
True, very good point.
maybe just say screw the incentives and do a 7/$180 $28 mil/yr first 4 years then $25, $22 and $21 mil the last 3.
It would be nice if the contract went right to his age 35 season and not after. After 35 there’s a huge drop off for most, but not all, players. Maybe add an 8th year team option for $20 mil or a $5 million buyout. That way Story can be reported as getting a $200 million contract lol

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What teams realistically will be going after Correa, Story, Seager, Baez and Semien?
Remember there’s a lot of other money that has to be spent on guys like Bryant, Rizzo, Freeman, Stroman, etc

Blue jays, Cubs, Mariners, Astros, Nationals and Tigers. And the Rangers of course
The Cards, Yankees, Rockies and Brewers maybe??

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you don't mind, ask me that again when free agency starts.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) The Lindor deal
Is there a chance other teams learn from the Lindor deal like they learned from the Teixeira trade and a few others? Could his deal become somewhat of an outlier?