• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers welcome COL to the Grill for a rare M-W set to close out August: 8/30-9/1

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are pros and cons to both.
it would keep young players from being stashed in the minors an extra year. It would also allow late bloomers to hit the market at the right time.
takes away from those elite players that force their way onto the team early and hit free agency around 27 though.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re free agency. Thinking many clubs only made money via TV contracts. So maybe the prices won’t be as night as we think. Would not be surprised if some deals at one to two years happen. Hard to read this market
We might get some short term pitching but if we sign a long term deal they better be easily the best player on our team when signed

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are pros and cons to both.
it would keep young players from being stashed in the minors an extra year. It would also allow late bloomers to hit the market at the right time.
takes away from those elite players that force their way onto the team early and hit free agency around 27 though.
Just thinking MLB is not at a pretty status quo predictable time. New CBA ahead. Do think the practice of extending the clock on prospects will be tweaked

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

perhaps a tad of an excuse

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who think this offseason is too early to dip into the free agency deep waters, which free agents are you wanting to target two years from now, or even a year from now?

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who think this offseason is too early to dip into the free agency deep waters, which free agents are you wanting to target two years from now, or even a year from now?
2022-2023 isn’t pretty

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2022-2023 isn’t pretty

Maybe some are wanting to wait a year so we can sign Joey to a long term deal.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe some are wanting to wait a year so we can sign Joey to a long term deal.
Maybe
I feel this off-season is a good one to sign some very good players and kick off the rebuild turn around. We have plenty of guys performing well at AA/AAA. Time to bring in some big bats, a SP and a reliever or 2 and hit the ground running.
The wait and see what we need approach doesn’t make a ton of sense to me. Players are versatile for the most part and we know we’re going to need bats and arms. The payroll obligations for next year and beyond are ridiculously low. Like, they might get in trouble for not spending if they don’t sign some players this off-season, low.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe
I feel this off-season is a good one to sign some very good players and kick off the rebuild turn around. We have plenty of guys performing well at AA/AAA. Time to bring in some big bats, a SP and a reliever or 2 and hit the ground running.
The wait and see what we need approach doesn’t make a ton of sense to me. Players are versatile for the most part and we know we’re going to need bats and arms. The payroll obligations for next year and beyond are ridiculously low. Like, they might get in trouble for not spending if they don’t sign some players this off-season, low.
I just feel if there is a free agent that you feel really good about, then you need to go after him. It might be a year early, but who says you can get the same quality a year or two years from now.

It is easy to find flaws in a free agent in this upcoming class, but the real question is how do they compare with who will be available next year or in two years.

Take Story for example. You can list flaws and say you want someone better, but you can't make a good comparison without having someone specific in mind. Then there is the whole signability issue. If Story is more signable because he is from the area and a guy you compare him with is not signable, does it really matter if he is better than Story. I am not saying we have to sign Story. I am just using his case as an example.

Personally, I would like to see us sign one of those top SS. To me it doesn't matter if it is a year too early for us to be really competitive.

Reactions: DTC

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another reason it stinks to wait is by the time the team looks good with nothing but home grown talent and you start signing FA our own guys are 3 years into their career and going to be FA soon themselves. I’d rather get the part started right on time lol

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I’m just hoping his sub 100 ops+(99), sub .800 OPS(785), Low HR total and the amount of elite SS among others on the market will somehow lower his contract lol.
We can hope but he is considered elite and is ranked in the top 3 or 4 of the Free Agents

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be happy with Chris Taylor, Conforto, Canha, and Gomes. The first 3 have a good chance of an OPS+ of 120 which is about where Story is on his good years. They would be cheaper and shorter term deals as well, none of them are in the top 10 or probably even the top 20 but all are very under rated and important to adding to the win totals. Good OBP and pop.
Gomes would(should) be an upgrade at C
Stroman would be a nice addition at SP to give us a true ace. I really like our current SP and the depth we have but pitching is always so tough

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pirates are going to extras.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
important to adding to the win totals.
That is where we differ by a great deal. I don't care how many we win until we are ready to seriously compete again. Not that I am hoping to lose next year, but I don't want them wasting money on any short term deals.

We should naturally win a good deal more next year and we are poised to do even better than that in 2023 just from our own system It is the 2023-2026 years that I am most interested when it come to getting production from free agents.

I probably want to spend as much on free agents as you do, but I want that money spread out on fewer players overall, especially this coming offseason.

Something tells me that what actually happens will be something quite different than either of us hopes for.

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirates lost.