• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers welcome COL to the Grill for a rare M-W set to close out August: 8/30-9/1

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 against the Angels, 2 against the D’Backs & 3 against the A’s all on the road. Let’s go for 10 in a row
I was trying not to be greedy, but your idea is better than mine. Lol

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think they’re interchangeable
Just making light of the situation since Ibanez did replace Calhoun in the lineup that very day he was pulled due to his injury.
Supposed to be a tad humerus
Lol, but it was the forearm he broke, not the humerus.

• Haha
Reactions: DTC

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious to hear from everyone what they personally think the Rangers should do between now and next July 31st.
I would look at mid 30s players to sign to 2 year deals with the intent to make the team competitive now and drive excitement, they would also mentor the young guys, fill spots just before our guys are ready and also be nice tradable pieces at the deadline to add very young A level prospects to our minor leagues, which will be needed as we start to promote. I would be going after 18-20 year olds who still have 3-5 years before having to be added to the 40 man on the trades.
C- Yan Gomes or Wilson Ramos
LF- Mark Canha
SP-Charlie Morton or Zack Grienke
RP-Tyler Clippard, Cishek, Ottavino
And then go after 3 legit long term guys like Story/Seager for SS and Gray/Stroman for SP and Chris Taylor for a super utility top of the line up guy who can fill into a needed spot for when someone isn’t playing well and needs to be replaced.

if all goes well then keep all players for atleast the first year and make a run into the playoffs. Which would be the best scenario. If not then start trading guys and promoting mid season and get ready for the next year.

I would avoid signing any avg or below guys. No need for them by next year. No Culberson, Holt, reclamation pitching projects, mid level 4.50 era SPs, RPs. Either legit players or nothing.

allow our prospects to come up and cycle through the batting order/positions to fill our depth needs. Allow our prospects to fill in when a pitcher goes down.

Trade IKF, Trevino, Arihara, Folty, Yang

1. Stroman/Gray
2. Dunning
3. Allard
4. Hearn
5. Otto/Alexy
Reserves- John King, Latz, Cole Winn, Yerry Rodriguez, Ronny Henriquez, Vanasco, Drew Anderson..
not to mention the depth after those guys.

1. Chris Taylor-CF/2B/3B/RF
2. Mark Canha-LF
3. Story/Seager-SS
4. Nate Lowe-1B
5. Adolis Garcia-RF
6. Calhoun- DH
7. Solak-2B
8. Ibanez-3B
9. Gomes-C

bench
Pozo, Taveras, Yonny Hernandez, DJ Peters

Lots of things can happen to that bottom 5-9 of the line up to allow for our prospects to come up and get integrated into the Majors with a starting job likely in 2023.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious to hear from everyone what they personally think the Rangers should do between now and next July 31st.
I would look at mid 30s players to sign to 2 year deals with the intent to make the team competitive now and drive excitement, they would also mentor the young guys, fill spots just before our guys are ready and also be nice tradable pieces at the deadline to add very young A level prospects to our minor leagues, which will be needed as we start to promote. I would be going after 18-20 year olds who still have 3-5 years before having to be added to the 40 man on the trades.
C- Yan Gomes or Wilson Ramos
LF- Mark Canha
SP-Charlie Morton or Zack Grienke
RP-Tyler Clippard, Cishek, Ottavino
And then go after 3 legit long term guys like Story/Seager for SS and Gray/Stroman for SP and Chris Taylor for a super utility top of the line up guy who can fill into a needed spot for when someone isn’t playing well and needs to be replaced.

if all goes well then keep all players for atleast the first year and make a run into the playoffs. Which would be the best scenario. If not then start trading guys and promoting mid season and get ready for the next year.

I would avoid signing any avg or below guys. No need for them by next year. No Culberson, Holt, reclamation pitching projects, mid level 4.50 era SPs, RPs. Either legit players or nothing.

allow our prospects to come up and cycle through the batting order/positions to fill our depth needs. Allow our prospects to fill in when a pitcher goes down.

Trade IKF, Trevino, Arihara, Folty, Yang

1. Stroman/Gray
2. Dunning
3. Allard
4. Hearn
5. Otto/Alexy
Reserves- John King, Latz, Cole Winn, Yerry Rodriguez, Ronny Henriquez, Vanasco, Drew Anderson..
not to mention the depth after those guys.

1. Chris Taylor-CF/2B/3B/RF
2. Mark Canha-LF
3. Story/Seager-SS
4. Nate Lowe-1B
5. Adolis Garcia-RF
6. Calhoun- DH
7. Solak-2B
8. Ibanez-3B
9. Gomes-C

bench
Pozo, Taveras, Yonny Hernandez, DJ Peters

Lots of things can happen to that bottom 5-9 of the line up to allow for our prospects to come up and get integrated into the Majors with a starting job likely in 2023.
I think finding guys who are willing to sign 2 year deals and expecting them to have trade value is going to be near impossible.

I am done with free agent signings who we don't expect to be significant contributors when we are ready to seriously contend. If they need to sign some jusi-in-case guys to minor league deals that is fine.

A lot still depends on what we see from some guys in this last month. If Solak and Taveras both continue to do well all month then that changes some things for me.

I would still like to see us pursue one of the top SS free agents and trade IKF.

I wouldn't mind at some point if we could trade some other younger guys in quantity for quality type moves. We have a ton of MIF prospects who could be dealt for other prospects.

I expect to see a huge 40 man turnover since we have a lot of guys to be added and a free agent or two or three to pursue. We should have a tremendously stronger 40 man roster within a few months.

Folty will most likely be non-tendered. I would trade Arihara if he will bring back something.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would look at mid 30s players to sign to 2 year deals

(Saddles caught this before I was able to post)

The market has shifted away from these. Quality dudes are gonna look for the most number of years they can get. The spares are the ones who you can land for 2 year deals.

This is one reason why I am hesitant to go all in on the SS's that are hitting the market. They're all going to be looking for 7-10 year deals. I'm not against those deals, but I don't want to throw one at a dude just to say we did.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Saddles caught this before I was able to post)

The market has shifted away from these. Quality dudes are gonna look for the most number of years they can get. The spares are the ones who you can land for 2 year deals.

This is one reason why I am hesitant to go all in on the SS's that are hitting the market. They're all going to be looking for 7-10 year deals. I'm not against those deals, but I don't want to throw one at a dude just to say we did.
Well put and I still believe it is too early to invest in FA's until we are more confident in what we have coming in. Example would be Alexy Otto Taveras Jung. Rushing things at this point could lead to further set backs. Like you, I do not want long commitments until we are close to contending. We are not there yet.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well put and I still believe it is too early to invest in FA's until we are more confident in what we have coming in. Example would be Alexy Otto Taveras Jung. Rushing things at this point could lead to further set backs. Like you, I do not want long commitments until we are close to contending. We are not there yet.

That Lindor deal completely screwed the market up.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand that. If we had 7 positions player prospects in the top 100 or 3 or 4 SP in the top 100 I would probably wait on FA too.
As of now we have Jung who looks pretty damn promising then after that it’s kind of a gamble and we really don’t know who or how many will pan out of the group consisting of our top 30.
I like our pitching prospects/depth which is why I only want 1 SP from FA. I think we are good and deep at SP.
Our position players need some help though. Our line up is weak at getting on base and lacks consistency. The Rangers also have the money to add this off season when the free agent market is deep vs next years when it’s very weak. I don’t think 3 or 4 bats will hamper our goal of allowing prospects to come up. They shouldn’t be thrusted straight into a starting role batting in the 3 hole with no protection either.
They should be brought up and acclimated to the show while hitting in the 7-9 hole the first year. Next year is the year they come up and learn the game at the MLB level. Starting in 2023 they should be ready to fill everyday roles. If they do not pan out we could see ourselves in another rebuild repeating the same thing over and over.
I believe the Rangers should be as smart and calculated as the Rays and Athletics while also using their top 10 money/market to keep a competitive team on the field who can still win despite a few prospects not panning out.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that. If we had 7 positions player prospects in the top 100 or 3 or 4 SP in the top 100 I would probably wait on FA too.
As of now we have Jung who looks pretty damn promising then after that it’s kind of a gamble and we really don’t know who or how many will pan out of the group consisting of our top 30.
I like our pitching prospects/depth which is why I only want 1 SP from FA. I think we are good and deep at SP.
Our position players need some help though. Our line up is weak at getting on base and lacks consistency. The Rangers also have the money to add this off season when the free agent market is deep vs next years when it’s very weak. I don’t think 3 or 4 bats will hamper our goal of allowing prospects to come up. They shouldn’t be thrusted straight into a starting role batting in the 3 hole with no protection either.
They should be brought up and acclimated to the show while hitting in the 7-9 hole the first year. Next year is the year they come up and learn the game at the MLB level. Starting in 2023 they should be ready to fill everyday roles. If they do not pan out we could see ourselves in another rebuild repeating the same thing over and over.
I believe the Rangers should be as smart and calculated as the Rays and Athletics while also using their top 10 money/market to keep a competitive team on the field who can still win despite a few prospects not panning out.
Sure we need help in FA's but like stated, 7-10 yr contracts for top FA's is insane especially before we are set in pitching and position. We think Jung and Huff will work out but we have no idea yet. Same with pitchers. So far all we have is small samples.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure we need help in FA's but like stated, 7-10 yr contracts for top FA's is insane especially before we are set in pitching and position. We think Jung and Huff will work out but we have no idea yet. Same with pitchers. So far all we have is small samples.

I'll add this: eventually the Rangers will have to hand out a 8-10 year contract, and probably within the next few years. I'm just not convinced any of the upcoming FA's should be those guys.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll add this: eventually the Rangers will have to hand out a 8-10 year contract, and probably within the next few years. I'm just not convinced any of the upcoming FA's should be those guys.
If we can get Story for like 7 years $162 million with incentives I would be ok with that.
If it takes 8 years $200 million plus I dont know if it’s worth it.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can get Story for like 7 years $162 million with incentives I would be ok with that.
If it takes 8 years $200 million plus I dont know if it’s worth it.

Lindor got $34m a year for 10 years. If they can somehow convince Story to sign for only $23m a year for only 7 years, then that would be the most impressive thing the FO has ever done.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the floor for Story is 8/225. My gut tells me 8/250 is closer to what he'll get. Take my record of accuracy into account.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lindor got $34m a year for 10 years. If they can somehow convince Story to sign for only $23m a year for only 7 years, then that would be the most impressive thing the FO has ever done.
Lindor was 2 years younger, more exciting(merchandise sales) and the Mets owner was willing to spend big. More taxes playing in that area and division vs Texas as well. There will be a ton of owners looking at Lindors horrible year saying no to big contracts, there will also be a lot of free agents earning big money this year which may lead to fewer options for the players.
maybe a perfect storm of Story wanting to play in Texas, the better tax outcomes on our schedule and state, $23 million a year with incentives isn’t too shabby. As far as incentives go I would put it at $2 mill if player makes AS team and $2 million if he’s a top 10 MVP which goes up to $4 million if he’s a top 5 MVP.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lindor was 2 years younger, more exciting(merchandise sales) and the Mets owner was willing to spend big. More taxes playing in that area and division vs Texas as well. There will be a ton of owners looking at Lindors horrible year saying no to big contracts, there will also be a lot of free agents earning big money this year which may lead to fewer options for the players.
maybe a perfect storm of Story wanting to play in Texas, the better tax outcomes on our schedule and state, $23 million a year with incentives isn’t too shabby. As far as incentives go I would put it at $2 mill if player makes AS team and $2 million if he’s a top 10 MVP which goes up to $4 million if he’s a top 5 MVP.
if our initial offer isn't around 8 years #225M we will end up empty handed as is about normal for us in the free agent market

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if our initial offer isn't around 8 years #225M we will end up empty handed as is about normal for us in the free agent market
Well I’m just hoping his sub 100 ops+(99), sub .800 OPS(785), Low HR total and the amount of elite SS among others on the market will somehow lower his contract lol.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3