• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers play the White Sox in Chicago August 22-25

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our best month was the first and half of those games were against the Astros and Athletics. Our offense this month has been horrible against the dregs of the league. Quit throwing that crap out.
I never said we always beat up the dregs or donxtvhave some games where we do good against better teams. Overall though, the team has been close to Jeckyl and Hyde depending on the opponent. Grant had an article detailing the numbers just a couple of weeks ago.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You missed the point. We have a Verlander we win hands down.
And, we have a decent manager and we win hands down. We even had a starter who put up Verlander type numbers in one game and the manager didn't want to bring him back.for another outing.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never overestimate the offseason plans. Last summer when I suggested that we would probably get another Matt Moore quality starting pitcher in the coming offseason, you disagreed most strenuously. Then we went out and did just that.
But you disagreed with the Lynn pickup. Correct? I think budget came into play with the remainder

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part I agree. Someone like Andrus to me would be an exception.
I get nervous thinking all that can happen in seven years. And money in today's market is getting completely out of control. When we think of bringing in Cole at these terms reminds me of Darvish. Things can backfire and most likely will in seven years. Guess Choo, Fielder and some other contracts tells me to tap brakes and see if there is not a better way to spend the money.

You should get nervous when thinking of seven years......OUCH......I'm just having a 'little fun' at your expense good sir.

Honestly DT.....a 7 year plan is like a trip to Mars or something to me.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's the alternative? Do what we've done and sign average or worse starters and wait for someone to develop. How many millions have poured down the drain on the Volquez's, Smyly's etc over the last 4 or 5 years that the salaries could have been put toward 1 really decent pitcher

Hindsight in it's finest hour........We've got two guys right now who would be a stout #2 and #3/4 in most teams rotation.

So tell us. Who should we sign for a king's ransom and KNOW he'll be kicking ass here for years to come......Where did you stand on the Darvish issue? He was considered by many here to be that ace-of-aces and to date, he's been a rotational pitcher.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of humorous talking about an ace. We don't have a catcher, 1B 2B, 3B or CF. Then there's Choo blocking OF's. Now what were we saying about needing a ace.

You and I have discussed this before.......So much contentration on 2nd base when we've got more holes than a bad dike.

Some of those holes may be filled sooner than later.....For me, I have not given up on Guzman at 1st for the future. Ain't counting on him, but not kicking him to the curb either.......Solak may have an opportunity at 3rd.....I'd like to see what we want to do with Santana and IKF.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and I have discussed this before.......So much contentration on 2nd base when we've got more holes than a bad dike.

Some of those holes may be filled sooner than later.....For me, I have not given up on Guzman at 1st for the future. Ain't counting on him, but not kicking him to the curb either.......Solak may have an opportunity at 3rd.....I'd like to see what we want to do with Santana and IKF.
I'm with ya but until these issues are resolved I can't even begin to think of needing a ace for seven years. Like needing a silver saddle before you have a horse.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you disagreed with the Lynn pickup. Correct? I think budget came into play with the remainder
I still disagree with the 3 year deal for him.

The discussion last year was if we would sign a Matt Moore quality guy and we definitely did. You thought it would be ridiculous for me to assume that we wouldn't go after better pitchers to fill out the rotation than that.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I crunched the numbers. in 64 games against winning teams or teams right at .500 we have scored 4.57 runs per game. In 68 games against teams with losing records we have scored 5.38 runs per game. That is a difference in 0.81 runs per game. That is a very substantial difference.

The AL division winners are all well ahead of us in overall runs per game.

There are only 7 teams in all of baseball worse than us in runs scored per game on the road.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a lot of help on offense if we ever want to get back to a WS.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this will sound crazy for asking, but do you guys think we could possibly trade Odor and Mazara this offseason?

I remember hearing rumblings of some teams being interested in Mazara. He could probably be moved for a meager return.

As for odor, he’s due what 39 million? What if we chipped in 30 million and took another teams malcontent back in return?

Gallo, odor, and Mazara were billed as the cornerstones of this rebuild and 2 out of 3 are not very good. Gallo looks like an all star, Mazara is mediocre at best, and Odor is awful.

I’d almost rather try to build around Calhoun, gallo, and solak.

This offseason, we’ve gotta make some changes to the foundation.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this will sound crazy for asking, but do you guys think we could possibly trade Odor and Mazara this offseason?

I remember hearing rumblings of some teams being interested in Mazara. He could probably be moved for a meager return.

As for odor, he’s due what 39 million? What if we chipped in 30 million and took another teams malcontent back in return?

Gallo, odor, and Mazara were billed as the cornerstones of this rebuild and 2 out of 3 are not very good. Gallo looks like an all star, Mazara is mediocre at best, and Odor is awful.

I’d almost rather try to build around Calhoun, gallo, and solak.

This offseason, we’ve gotta make some changes to the foundation.
Not ready to give up on Mazara yet. Don't think anyone in their right mind will want Odor.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with ya but until these issues are resolved I can't even begin to think of needing a ace for seven years. Like needing a silver saddle before you have a horse.

It does not take 7 years to build a farm system/team dude... If it does, something went very wrong.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not ready to give up on Mazara yet. Don't think anyone in their right mind will want Odor.

I read the White Sox were scouting Mazara quite a bit before the deadline. Could be a potential buyer. We have needed a left-handed power bat for years. We have some good pieces in the minors, obviously.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does not take 7 years to build a farm system/team dude... If it does, something went very wrong.
We were talking about signing Cole for seven years not to build a farm system.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still disagree with the 3 year deal for him.

The discussion last year was if we would sign a Matt Moore quality guy and we definitely did. You thought it would be ridiculous for me to assume that we wouldn't go after better pitchers to fill out the rotation than that.

Sounds like no pitcher will please you unless you just enjoy the poking holes part.... but sure getting a pitcher to flip for prospects is in your wheel well

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I crunched the numbers. in 64 games against winning teams or teams right at .500 we have scored 4.57 runs per game. In 68 games against teams with losing records we have scored 5.38 runs per game. That is a difference in 0.81 runs per game. That is a very substantial difference.

The AL division winners are all well ahead of us in overall runs per game.

There are only 7 teams in all of baseball worse than us in runs scored per game on the road.
Did you crunch the numbers on every other team in the league because something tells me that holds true in most cases.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well put donaldson.