• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers play the White Sox in Chicago August 22-25

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burke Allard > Sampson Jurado. An ace would still be fantastic. I realize it's still too early on the young guys but.......Still gonna need bats to compete. The offense since the ASB has been putrid!

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 hit :L:L

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jung isn't ready for AA yet.

It is not time to go for broke. The goal has to be beyond 2020. If there are unlimited resources then Cole is a great addition. If he hampers us in getting other needed parts then he may not ne the best use of limited resources.

At some point we will probably need to sign 2 high quality bats. I only want to spend on pitching what we can if we also sign those two bats. If we have enough resources for all three then that is great. I just don't know if that is the case.
I guess you are probably right about Jung but I bring him up at callup date and take a look at him. Maybe the way to go would be to go after Grandal and possibly a 3rd baseman line Rendon and slog along with what we've got with Minor, Lynn, Allard & Burke plus whomever

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you are probably right about Jung but I bring him up at callup date and take a look at him. Maybe the way to go would be to go after Grandal and possibly a 3rd baseman line Rendon and slog along with what we've got with Minor, Lynn, Allard & Burke plus whomever
The problem with bringing Jung up is that he isn't on the 40 man roster so he would require cutting someone. That is already going to be necessary several times over this offseason so it wouldn't be good to add someone before you have to. The two relievers I mentioned yesterday are in that category. They have to be added this offseason so adding them in September is no big deal.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burke Allard > Sampson Jurado. An ace would still be fantastic. I realize it's still too early on the young guys but.......Still gonna need bats to compete. The offense since the ASB has been putrid!
Besides Cole, who would you consider? I think he would be the only one I would consider. Would you go as high as $32-34 million per year for 7 years to get him?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with bringing Jung up is that he isn't on the 40 man roster so he would require cutting someone. That is already going to be necessary several times over this offseason so it wouldn't be good to add someone before you have to. The two relievers I mentioned yesterday are in that category. They have to be added this offseason so adding them in September is no big deal.
We are going to have clear space this off-season anyway at least 5 maybe more

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are going to have clear space this off-season anyway at least 5 maybe more
Yeah, that is why we really can't add Jung yet. There are too many others in front of him. That is going to force a guy or two to be subject to Rule 5. Bringing a guy up who isn't even ready for AA isn't worth losing another guy in Rule 5.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides Cole, who would you consider? I think he would be the only one I would consider. Would you go as high as $32-34 million per year for 7 years to get him?
7 is too many years for me for anyone. I wouldn't go more than 5. The Astros got their money worth with Wade Miley at 4.5 mill. But it was just for 1 year. I wouldn't mind taking a look at him.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7 is too many years for me for anyone. I wouldn't go more than 5. The Astros got their money worth with Wade Miley at 4.5 mill. But it was just for 1 year. I wouldn't mind taking a look at him.
I was meaning as far as going after an ace.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd seriously consider that. A rotation of Cole, Minor, Lynn, Allard & Burke would be great. Don't think JD and the owners will even consider Cole thou. I expect that we will dredge the bottom of available starting pitchers scooping up at least 2 Tommy John recovering pitchers.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then we continue working a staff that never establishes itself. adding pitchers on 1 or 2 year deals never allows the team to grow around a true #1. Signing Cole with Minor and Lynn at #2 & #3 allows Allard and Burke to develop without the stress and pressure and then move up when Lynn and Minor move on. by then the next ones will ready

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was meaning as far as going after an ace.
I get nervous thinking all that can happen in seven years. And money in today's market is getting completely out of control. When we think of bringing in Cole at these terms reminds me of Darvish. Things can backfire and most likely will in seven years. Guess Choo, Fielder and some other contracts tells me to tap brakes and see if there is not a better way to spend the money.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get nervous thinking all that can happen in seven years. And money in today's market is getting completely out of control. When we think of bringing in Cole at these terms reminds me of Darvish. Things can backfire and most likely will in seven years. Guess Choo, Fielder and some other contracts tells me to tap brakes and see if there is not a better way to spend the money.
So are you suggesting that we do nothing because something unknown might happen sometime during those 7 years? What is the better option? Sign marginal starters while waiting for someone in our farm system to step forward and become a #1. When was the last time that planned out for the Rangers?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are you suggesting that we do nothing because something unknown might happen sometime during those 7 years? What is the better option? Sign marginal starters while waiting for someone in our farm system to step forward and become a #1. When was the last time that planned out for the Rangers?
I did not suggest anything. We all would like Cole but not at a contract that will financially cripple the team. IMO 7 years for a pitcher is totally unreasonable.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then we continue working a staff that never establishes itself. adding pitchers on 1 or 2 year deals never allows the team to grow around a true #1. Signing Cole with Minor and Lynn at #2 & #3 allows Allard and Burke to develop without the stress and pressure and then move up when Lynn and Minor move on. by then the next ones will ready
That works great in theory. But pitchers get hurt or don't turn out to be what you hoped for them to be. But I hope you are right. But look at the Astros starting pitching as an example. Verlander, Cole, Greinke, Miley and Valdez. Only one came up thru the Astros organization and he stinks. And that starting rotation is what makes the Astros so dangerous for the playoffs.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not suggest anything. We all would like Cole but not at a contract that will financially cripple the team. IMO 7 years for a pitcher is totally unreasonable.
So what's the alternative? Do what we've done and sign average or worse starters and wait for someone to develop. How many millions have poured down the drain on the Volquez's, Smyly's etc over the last 4 or 5 years that the salaries could have been put toward 1 really decent pitcher

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That works great in theory. But pitchers get hurt or don't turn out to be what you hoped for them to be. But I hope you are right. But look at the Astros starting pitching as an example. Verlander, Cole, Greinke, Miley and Valdez. Only one came up thru the Astros organization and he stinks. And that starting rotation is what makes the Astros so dangerous for the playoffs.
I don't support doing it that way either. I think like I've already said with a structured build around someone like Cole, taking advantage of already having Minor and Lynn allows the young guys to develop and learn from them and move up in the rotation when Minor and Lynn move on

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are great at developing most of your position players then you can afford to spend like crazy on starting pitching like the Astros. If you can only spend in a few areas then you need to choose the areas that your system is weakest in. Right now we are strongest in starting pitching, relief pitching and CF.