• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers play the White Sox in Chicago August 22-25

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the team mindset going into this season was getting one good pitcher like Lynn and with the three TJ guys hoping one would pan out so we could flip at the break (none did) and hope our young pitching corp could be ready at the break. Things went well in one way and not so well in another. Hearn got injured but we picked up Allard that has been a good surprise.

Really doubt with the roster spot crunch this winter we sign retreads to major league deals. Only thing that could open spots is a trade. I really doubt any this point we sign any starting pitcher to a one year deal unless we move Minor

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are great at developing most of your position players then you can afford to spend like crazy on starting pitching like the Astros. If you can only spend in a few areas then you need to choose the areas that your system is weakest in. Right now we are strongest in starting pitching, relief pitching and CF.
Don't agree with your assessment. Our starting pitching and relief pitching is at this moment at best average.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't agree with your assessment. Our starting pitching and relief pitching is at this moment at best average.
My assessment is our two highest ceiling guys are Crouse and Winn. Then guys like Clase, Barlow, and Evans in the pen are next highest, relative to their positions. If those guys are average then most of our position player prospects are below average.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the team mindset going into this season was getting one good pitcher like Lynn and with the three TJ guys hoping one would pan out so we could flip at the break (none did) and hope our young pitching corp could be ready at the break. Things went well in one way and not so well in another. Hearn got injured but we picked up Allard that has been a good surprise.

Really doubt with the roster spot crunch this winter we sign retreads to major league deals. Only thing that could open spots is a trade. I really doubt any this point we sign any starting pitcher to a one year deal unless we move Minor
Never overestimate the offseason plans. Last summer when I suggested that we would probably get another Matt Moore quality starting pitcher in the coming offseason, you disagreed most strenuously. Then we went out and did just that.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are great at developing most of your position players then you can afford to spend like crazy on starting pitching like the Astros. If you can only spend in a few areas then you need to choose the areas that your system is weakest in. Right now we are strongest in starting pitching, relief pitching and CF.
They have done a number of very intelligent things. Yes, they developed some good players in Correa, Bregman, Springer (all 1st round draft picks)and Altuve. Then picked up Yordan Alvarez and Yuli Gurriel from Cuba then sign a really good hitter in Brantley along with Reddick, Marisnick and Chirinos then went after TORP. They have kicked our living butts in the moves outside of those 4 main cogs in their lineup that came up thru the system. And they supposedly had some great pitchers coming up thru the system.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never overestimate the offseason plans. Last summer when I suggested that we would probably get another Matt Moore quality starting pitcher in the coming offseason, you disagreed most strenuously. Then we went out and did just that.
Are you sure it was only one? :D

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My assessment is our two highest ceiling guys are Crouse and Winn. Then guys like Clase, Barlow, and Evans in the pen are next highest, relative to their positions. If those guys are average then most of our position player prospects are below average.
Our starting and relief pitching right this moment is at best average. Crouse and Winn are PROJECTED to be above average but are at minimum 2 years away maybe more and Barlow and Evan's are about the same time period. I would rather see us build with a plan has them moving into an established rotation that allows them to develop at the MLB level. Instead of throwing one of them into the #1 spot and hoping they can develop into it I would move them into the rotation at #4 and 5 and move them up as others like Minor and Lynn move on.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our starting and relief pitching right this moment is at best average. Crouse and Winn are PROJECTED to be above average but are at minimum 2 years away maybe more and Barlow and Evan's are about the same time period. I would rather see us build with a plan has them moving into an established rotation that allows them to develop at the MLB level. Instead of throwing one of them into the #1 spot and hoping they can develop into it I would move them into the rotation at #4 and 5 and move them up as others like Minor and Lynn move on.
Then they will come up to a team in the future that can't score a lot and lose a lot of low scoring games.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have done a number of very intelligent things. Yes, they developed some good players in Correa, Bregman, Springer (all 1st round draft picks)and Altuve. Then picked up Yordan Alvarez and Yuli Gurriel from Cuba then sign a really good hitter in Brantley along with Reddick, Marisnick and Chirinos then went after TORP. They have kicked our living butts in the moves outside of those 4 main cogs in their lineup that came up thru the system. And they supposedly had some great pitchers coming up thru the system.
When we have that kind of offense we will need an ace, that much is sure. How to get to that point is the quandary and is getting an ace without the offense a good way to attack the problem.

If we already had the offense in place it might be easier to go after an ace at that point. I am not sure why an ace would sign with us now unless we outdid everyone else significantly in terms of years and AAV.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then they will come up to a team in the future that can't score a lot and lose a lot of low scoring games.
Actually up until this month we have averaged 5 runs a game. This month we hit rock bottom and dropped to around 3.6.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When we have that kind of offense we will need an ace, that much is sure. How to get to that point is the quandary and is getting an ace without the offense a good way to attack the problem.

If we already had the offense in place it might be easier to go after an ace at that point. I am not sure why an ace would sign with us now unless we outdid everyone else significantly in terms of years and AAV.
I am just saying they did a lot of things right and did not hold back.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of humorous talking about an ace. We don't have a catcher, 1B 2B, 3B or CF. Then there's Choo blocking OF's. Now what were we saying about needing a ace.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who should the Rangers target in free agency?
-- Paul F., Fort Worth, Texas

Anthony Rendon, the Washington Nationals' third baseman, who can be a free agent at the end of the season. End of story, final answer and no need to phone a friend.

You want to break the bank going into a new ballpark? Do it for a 29-year old, right-handed-hitting third baseman from Texas who would fit in the middle of the order amid all those left-handed hitters. He won’t be cheap, and his agent is Scott Boras. The competition will be fierce. But it’s hard to remember a potential position player free agent who would be a more on-target fit for the Rangers than Rendon.

Inbox: Which FA is Rangers' offseason priority?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just saying they did a lot of things right and did not hold back.
Yep, and that included being willing to go into full rebuild mode. It also included the proper personnel to determine who to draft and who to trade for. We are not willing to do the first part and I am not sure if we can do the second part or not. That makes it impossible to follow their example. I certainly wish we could.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One thing that is disappointing to me.

When we were trying to compete our main pitching trades were cliff lee ( A+), Ryan dempster (F), Matt Garza (D), Cole Hamels (B-), and Yu Darvish (B). I threw Darvish in because he was a free agent signing and we had him 5 years.

Vs.

When the Astros are trying to compete:

Justin verlander ( A+), Gerrit Cole (A+), Zack Greinke ( A+) and I’ll give them an A on Charlie Morton for good measure. Thankfully the rays signed him away.

I’m not sure if the Astros were just fortunate to have those much better guys available when they were buying or if JD just wasn’t able to acquire top notch pitchers with the exception of cliff lee.

Nonetheless, it’s depressing when you think about it. I have to think we would’ve been all over trying to get verlander and Greinke if they were available when we were trying to compete.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually up until this month we have averaged 5 runs a game. This month we hit rock bottom and dropped to around 3.6.
You have to be able to score against teams that aren't the dregs of the league.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of humorous talking about an ace. We don't have a catcher, 1B 2B, 3B or CF. Then there's Choo blocking OF's. Now what were we saying about needing a ace.
We had all of that and lost in the World Series. The Astros win nothing until they picked up Verlander.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to be able to score against teams that aren't the dregs of the league.
Our best month was the first and half of those games were against the Astros and Athletics. Our offense this month has been horrible against the dregs of the league. Quit throwing that crap out.