• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers play the White Sox in Chicago August 22-25

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We use to put butts in the seats in spite of the heat because we had a team people were wanting to see.
The really good FA's will come here but only for the bucks

Even in our World Series years, August attendance has always been a tough sell for this team.

100 degrees all the time with a heat index of 110. Not good for ticket sales.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole point of building the new stadium is to get out of this heat which has hurt the teams play on the field and prevented us from putting butts in seats.

A game at home against the Angels the other day only had 15,000 people show up.
One diehard fan was there and it really was not too bad

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even in our World Series years, August attendance has always been a tough sell for this team.

100 degrees all the time with a heat index of 110. Not good for ticket sales.
Rangers drew 3 million a couple of times in the heat. Got good but raised prices. Have not drawn as well since

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I think most would agree buying an Ace without addressing the obvious holes in lineup is just wasting a year of an Ace.

We got reasonable deals on Minor and Lynn and they will be easy to move but paying 34 million a year is much tougher to move if needed down the line

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you crunch the numbers on every other team in the league because something tells me that holds true in most cases.
I will let you do that if you are so inclined. I do know we are worse than most teams in road splits.

One can look at what we have to put on the field every night and see that we need help on offense. We need some significant additions.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I think most would agree buying an Ace without addressing the obvious holes in lineup is just wasting a year of an Ace.

We got reasonable deals on Minor and Lynn and they will be easy to move but paying 34 million a year is much tougher to move if needed down the line
It could be a lot longer than a year of waste.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It seems like the most logical way to build a team is to get a really good lineup in place first then build around that.

Mazara and Odor not panning out as regulars will set us back some and I hope those guys get moved in the offseason, but I like a lot of the kids we have in the system now.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like the most logical way to build a team is to get a really good lineup in place first then build around that.

Mazara and Odor not panning out as regulars will set us back some and I hope those guys get moved in the offseason, but I like a lot of the kids we have in the system now.
Then you know what minor league pieces you can include in a trade for pitching. Smoak for example.

JD acknowledged one time that a wiser way to handle getting an ace would be to develop your own. We are still waiting for that. The idea is great, but the implementation has been lacking.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And why that is so hard to understand is mind boggling
Some folks find it hard to face that we aren't going back to the WS for a few years. I get that. Others don't have going to the WS as a goal as much as having a winning season and going for the WC. I don't get that.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't agree on Maz. Young with strong arm and hitting .260.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you know what minor league pieces you can include in a trade for pitching. Smoak for example.

JD acknowledged one time that a wiser way to handle getting an ace would be to develop your own. We are still waiting for that. The idea is great, but the implementation has been lacking.

There was one out there this year for the taking. I wanted us to draft that manoah kid out of West Virginia. Early returns on him, some scouts are already projecting him to be an ace.

3rd base is a massive gaping black hole tho and I don’t mind the Jung pick as long as he pans out to be at least an average major league level 3rd baseman who doesn’t drag us down.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will let you do that if you are so inclined. I do know we are worse than most teams in road splits.

One can look at what we have to put on the field every night and see that we need help on offense. We need some significant additions.
I agree we have been horrible on the road. For example in Cleveland we scored 2 runs in 3 games but that was also in this month where we have been awful against Toronto, Brewers and White Sox. At home against the Indians we scored 18 in 4. I looked at the top teams in the AL in pitching to see how we did. You just saw how were were with the Indians and against Tampa Bay (on the road) just 9 runs in 3 games. But against Houston we averaged 4.88 runs per game, Oakland 5.69, Red Sox 5.3 and Twins 4.75. We have also lost 30 games where we scored 4 runs or more. Not sure what the league average is. But overall it seems we have done well against 4 of the top 7 teams. We have not played the Yankees.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You like them now but based on your history you won't later. I am not sure why you keep throwing Maz in there. He is not an Acuna but he is not terrible. At least he has an arm and hits in the middle. But the grass is always greener on the other side.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You like them now but based on your history you won't later. I am not sure why you keep throwing Maz in there. He is not an Acuna but he is not terrible. At least he has an arm and hits in the middle. But the grass is always greener on the other side.

The thing about Maz is that he, like odor, was billed as a cornerstone of this team.

Nothing maz does stands out or is special or amazing in anyway. We’ve had him up here since 2016, we’ve never sent him back down, until very recently we’ve never benched him or taken any corrective action.

Mazara’s potential is enormous, but for whatever reason we’ve only ever been able to scratch at the surface. Eventually potential and projection must give way to actual results. If he’s going to be given the top #3 or #4 player on this team that we need him to be and want from our everyday right fielder, than he needs to at least be solidly in the all star conversation every year. He’s not doing enough to be in that conversation and he’s not doing enough for this team.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about Maz is that he, like odor, was billed as a cornerstone of this team.

Nothing maz does stands out or is special or amazing in anyway. We’ve had him up here since 2016, we’ve never sent him back down, until very recently we’ve never benched him or taken any corrective action.

Mazara’s potential is enormous, but for whatever reason we’ve only ever been able to scratch at the surface. Eventually potential and projection must give way to actual results. If he’s going to be given the top #3 or #4 player on this team that we need him to be and want from our everyday right fielder, than he needs to at least be solidly in the all star conversation every year. He’s not doing enough to be in that conversation and he’s not doing enough for this team.
.268 ba 17 hr 62 rbi says you are wrong.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree we have been horrible on the road. For example in Cleveland we scored 2 runs in 3 games but that was also in this month where we have been awful against Toronto, Brewers and White Sox. At home against the Indians we scored 18 in 4. I looked at the top teams in the AL in pitching to see how we did. You just saw how were were with the Indians and against Tampa Bay (on the road) just 9 runs in 3 games. But against Houston we averaged 4.88 runs per game, Oakland 5.69, Red Sox 5.3 and Twins 4.75. We have also lost 30 games where we scored 4 runs or more. Not sure what the league average is. But overall it seems we have done well against 4 of the top 7 teams. We have not played the Yankees.
No, we are not putrid like some of the dregs in the league. We have a ways to go before we match up with the run production of the league leaders though. We have a lot of holes in the lineup that need to be filled before we can go to a WS.

My whole point to begin with was that we are not just an ace away from greatness. We have many holes to fill and a limited amount of money to fill them. Overspending on an ace, which is what we would have to do to buy one, may not be the best way to go about winning a WS.

With an ace and a 3B being two of the best prizes in free agency ¹ it seems we are FA shopping in the wrong offseason. One position is always overpriced amd risky, and the other is one where we just drafted 2 guys very high in the draft. Bad timing it seems.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, we are not putrid like some of the dregs in the league. We have a ways to go before we match up with the run production of the league leaders though. We have a lot of holes in the lineup that need to be filled before we can go to a WS.

My whole point to begin with was that we are not just an ace away from greatness. We have many holes to fill and a limited amount of money to fill them. Overspending on an ace, which is what we would have to do to buy one, may not be the best way to go about winning a WS.

With an ace and a 3B being two of the best prizes in free agency ¹ it seems we are FA shopping in the wrong offseason. One position is always overpriced amd risky, and the other is one where we just drafted 2 guys very high in the draft. Bad timing it seems.

We need to make some trades to clear up the logjam in the outfield, balance out the lefty / righty problem in the lineup, and bring in a reliable starter like a gio Gonzalez type who can get innings and give you a chance to win, but won’t require you to break the bank.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to make some trades to clear up the logjam in the outfield, balance out the lefty / righty problem in the lineup, and bring in a reliable starter like a gio Gonzalez type who can get innings and give you a chance to win, but won’t require you to break the bank.
We have 2 reliable starters in Minor and Lynn we need a show stopper