• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers head to Beantown to help the Red Sox get back in the race: Aug 20-22

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers head out on the road for a weekend set in Boston. For the most part, the pitching was solid against the Mariners, who swept the Rangers to gain some ground in the race. Now the Rangers look to help out the Sox, who have started to fade a bit as TB and NYY heat up. Dunning, Lyles, and Allard will be your initial ball hurlers in this night/night/day east coast matchup.

The top 4 teams in the Draft '22 race come into Friday on streaks of at least 3 games.

1. BAL 38-82 .317 0-10 (L15)
2. ARI 41-81 .336 6-4 (W3)
3. TEX 42-79 .347 3-7 (L3)
3. PIT 42-79 .347 1-9 (L5)

The Orioles face the Braves so that's a likely sweep for ATL. The D-Bags play the Rockies so ARI could actually sweep that series. PIT plays the shitbirds so they will probably lose at least 2 there. At this point it's a race for the second pick because no one is catching BAL at this point.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

Woodward said the Rangers are going to have a bigger payroll for 2022, as president of baseball operations Jon Daniels said after the trade deadline, but Woodward indicated that the plan is to bring in multiple veterans and surround them with what the Rangers have or having coming through the system.

Daniels has said that the Rangers will have money to compete for top free agents, but also said the final budget was still to be determined. He also has yet to say how many players the Rangers are seeking to add from the outside.

“There’s a lot to be excited for as we move forward, especially next year,” Woodward said. “We’re, obviously, going to have a higher payroll and add a lot of pieces, and then you have these younger guys coming up at the same time.”

There will be no shortage of roster openings, and plenty of free agents could serve as long-term pieces. The shortstop market is loaded, with Carlos Correa, Trevor Story, Corey Seager and Javier Baez. Marcus Semien, who is playing second base this season with Toronto, is another shortstop who could be available.

Kris Bryant could help at the infield corners and in left field. Starling Marte has looked pretty good this month with Oakland. Kevin Gausman could become an anchor in the rotation. Jon Gray would be an upgrade. Noah Syndergaard, from Mansfield, is an intriguing name to consider.

The question, of course, is why would any free agent want to join the 2022 Rangers? It’s going to be a hard sell for Daniels, Woodward and general manager Chris Young, and there’s still the task of convincing ownership to pay more than they would like.

The Rangers will have to money-whip a big-name free agent. They will have to convince all targets that the farm system will soon bear ripened fruit, and Globe Life Field should be a massive selling point.

The Rangers will then have to hope that since they built it, free agents will come.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers head out on the road for a weekend set in Boston. For the most part, the pitching was solid against the Mariners, who swept the Rangers to gain some ground in the race. Now the Rangers look to help out the Sox, who have started to fade a bit as TB and NYY heat up. Dunning, Lyles, and Allard will be your initial ball hurlers in this night/night/day east coast matchup.

The top 4 teams in the Draft '22 race come into Friday on streaks of at least 3 games.

1. BAL 38-82 .317 0-10 (L15)
2. ARI 41-81 .336 6-4 (W3)
3. TEX 42-79 .347 3-7 (L3)
3. PIT 42-79 .347 1-9 (L5)

The Orioles face the Braves so that's a likely sweep for ATL. The D-Bags play the Rockies so ARI could actually sweep that series. PIT plays the shitbirds so they will probably lose at least 2 there. At this point it's a race for the second pick because no one is catching BAL at this point.
there isn't an MLB team that wouldn't be likely to sweep the Orioles. hell the Rangers would be favored to sweep them

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Woodward is being his usual over-the-top, optimistic self, and we really aren't going after multiple(as in 5 or 6) free agent signings this winter. Quantity will inevitably reduce quality.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Woodward is being his usual over-the-top, optimistic self, and we really aren't going after multiple(as in 5 or 6) free agent signings this winter. Quantity will inevitably reduce quality.
i still think that 2 maybe 3 should be the limit. i'm much more interested in seeing more of our prospects than the crappy level 4 and 5 FA's that the Rangers seem to love so much. hell i would DFA Folty, Lyles, Culberson, Holt, Anderson, Cotton over the next couple of weeks and close out the season with more of our kids

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still think that 2 maybe 3 should be the limit. i'm much more interested in seeing more of our prospects than the crappy level 4 and 5 FA's that the Rangers seem to love so much. hell i would DFA Folty, Lyles, Culberson, Holt, Anderson, Cotton over the next couple of weeks and close out the season with more of our kids

I think Daniels was referring to the higher end FAs

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Daniels was referring to the higher end FAs
he does that every year and every year for the most part we don't see any real pursue of the higher end FA's. when he offers 2-4 year deals when the players and their agents make it clear that they won't even listen to anything less than 5 or 6 you can tell JD and the owners aren't really in the game. and every year JD's response well we tried. and then they get serious chasing those level 4 and 5 FA's and their 1 or 2 year deals and we fans suffer thru another pitiful season

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he does that every year and every year for the most part we don't see any real pursue of the higher end FA's. when he offers 2-4 year deals when the players and their agents make it clear that they won't even listen to anything less than 5 or 6 you can tell JD and the owners aren't really in the game. and every year JD's response well we tried. and then they get serious chasing those level 4 and 5 FA's and their 1 or 2 year deals and we fans suffer thru another pitiful season

Not sure it goes like that every year like you say, but we'll see.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure it goes like that every year like you say, but we'll see.
it sure seems like it. every year it seems they target 1 player, make a low-ball offer, and wait for that 1 player to do something while other really good FA's are signing with other teams and then we sign plug-ins that other teams pass on until very late in the free agent season. hell once in a while we got lucky and got a Lynn or Gibson but most the time we end up with a Folty, Lyles etc that just fills a roster spot

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it sure seems like it. every year it seems they target 1 player, make a low-ball offer, and wait for that 1 player to do something while other really good FA's are signing with other teams and then we sign plug-ins that other teams pass on until very late in the free agent season. hell once in a while we got lucky and got a Lynn or Gibson but most the time we end up with a Folty, Lyles etc that just fills a roster spot
Rendon is really the only one that I can think of like that in the last few years. Gallo was kind of like that, but he wasn't a free agent.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alexy, Henriquez, and Englert all pitch in the minors tonight.

With Crouse traded, Phillips released, Vanasco still out, Palumbo and Burke no longer viable alternatives, and Cody's return nowhere in sight, the above three guys are even more important.

Kent, Bradford and Weems have taken up a little bit of the slack as well.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rendon is really the only one that I can think of like that in the last few years. Gallo was kind of like that, but he wasn't a free agent.

and Rendon was a gigantic dodged bullet

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and Rendon was a gigantic dodged bullet
I agree but we were never really in on him anyway. He was nothing but a JD smoke screen to keep us thinking that the Rangers were actually being active. But I’m glad we “missed on him”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but we were never really in on him anyway. He was nothing but a JD smoke screen to keep us thinking that the Rangers were actually being active. But I’m glad we “missed on him”
Once we lost a year of development due to Covid, I was glad we didn't sign him too.

The pursuit of him was one of JD's most embarrassing moments though. Him and Boras just don't mix. Boras must have been very put out with both the Rendon and Gallo negotiations. Boras just doesn't play that game.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once we lost a year of development due to Covid, I was glad we didn't sign him too.

The pursuit of him was one of JD's most embarrassing moments though. Him and Boras just don't mix. Boras must have been very put out with both the Rendon and Gallo negotiations. Boras just doesn't play that game.
Boras told everyone that he and Rendon were looking for 5+ years, stopped at DFW and sat there waiting for JD to up his offer and nothing happened so on he went to LA. And JD insisted that the Rangers had made a competitive offer

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boras told everyone that he and Rendon were looking for 5+ years, stopped at DFW and sat there waiting for JD to up his offer and nothing happened so on he went to LA. And JD insisted that the Rangers had made a competitive offer
Glad we didn't sign him. Thanks JD

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.