• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers on the Road to Face Pirates May 22-24

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Red Sox signed Kluber this past offseason as a rotation piece. They have just decided to move him to the bullpen. Maybe once deGrom gets stretched out, the Rangers will do the same thing with Heaney.
We can hope if DeGrom comes back strong

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One more bad call and it would have been a tie game. Calls caused .9 of a run again us

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The "death of catcher framing" should be something everyone wants. It is an embarrassment to umpires and the sport that catcher framing is even a thing. It is something the sport should be ashamed of.
the umpiring crew for the Pittsburgh series were consistently bad with their strike and ball calls, there were pitches mostly against Ranger batters that so far inside or outside the ball couldn't even see the plate and you could early on see how surprised even the pitcher and catcher were with the call but once they realized it they continued to throw it inside or outside and get the call. yesterday the umpire was giving mostly the Pittsburgh pitcher strikes well below the strike zone. we nearly lost a couple of our batters and several people in the dugout because they continued to complain about the calls. and the umpire that was at the plate on Tuesday and then at 3rd yesterday called every check swing by a Ranger batter a strike

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Red Sox signed Kluber this past offseason as a rotation piece. They have just decided to move him to the bullpen. Maybe once deGrom gets stretched out, the Rangers will do the same thing with Heaney.

Worth noting that they are moving Kluber because has been dogshit.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wfaa writer for Rangers

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly. degrom hasn't been but he can't stay healthy

I think the team will move Dane back to the pen. He started the season there, and he has expressed approval with it. They signed Heaney to be a starter and I don't see them taking that from him. If he was stinking up the joint like Kluber then I could see it.

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the team will move Dane back to the pen. He started the season there, and he has expressed approval with it. They signed Heaney to be a starter and I don't see them taking that from him. If he was stinking up the joint like Kluber then I could see it.
with the 6 pitchers we used as starters, not counting Bradford he was a sacrificial lamb for his 1 game) we have a 23 and 8 record with Eovaldi and Perez combined for 12 and 3, Gray at 4 and 1, Dunning and deGrom a combined 4 and 0 and Heaney at 3 and 3. any combination of 5 of them is a huge advantage but Dunning's contribution as a reliever can't be ignored: 8 relief appearances, 2 and 0 record, 20.1 IP's, 12 hits, 4 ER's allowed and a 1.77 ERA

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the 6 pitchers we used as starters, not counting Bradford he was a sacrificial lamb for his 1 game) we have a 23 and 8 record with Eovaldi and Perez combined for 12 and 3, Gray at 4 and 1, Dunning and deGrom a combined 4 and 0 and Heaney at 3 and 3. any combination of 5 of them is a huge advantage but Dunning's contribution as a reliever can't be ignored: 8 relief appearances, 2 and 0 record, 20.1 IP's, 12 hits, 4 ER's allowed and a 1.77 ERA

exactly.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worth noting that they are moving Kluber
Wouldn't it be more about the difference between the one being removed and the one replacing him.

The difference between Tanner Houck's ERA and Kluber's is 1.27.

The difference between Dane Dunning's ERA and Heaney's is 2.46.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having Dunning not being able to work in long relief has not cost us anything significantly over the last few weeks. Almost all of the games we have lost due to our pitching, has been in late innings situations. Heaney would be great at that.

Having Dunning in relief in the first 2 or 3 turns through the rotation was valuable. The guys are stretched out now so that is no longer a factor.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't it be more about the difference between the one being removed and the one replacing him.

The difference between Tanner Houck's ERA and Kluber's is 1.27.

The difference between Dane Dunning's ERA and Heaney's is 2.46.

Having Dunning not being able to work in long relief has not cost us anything significantly over the last few weeks. Almost all of the games we have lost due to our pitching, has been in late innings situations. Heaney would be great at that.

Having Dunning in relief in the first 2 or 3 turns through the rotation was valuable. The guys are stretched out now so that is no longer a factor.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying (although I would add that a reason we haven't needed long relief is because JdG hasn't been pitching).

A logical case can be made for Dunning in the BP. Same with Heaney. I don't think that what BOS did with Kluber should be used as a reference for removing Heaney from the rotation, though.

We many end up seeing a situation where JdG is used with restrictions (a cap of 4 or 5 IP, depending on pitch count) with Dunning slotted to close out those games exclusively. Not permanently, but for a few starts. Hypothetically speaking.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with anything you're saying (although I would add that a reason we haven't needed long relief is because JdG hasn't been pitching).

A logical case can be made for Dunning in the BP. Same with Heaney. I don't think that what BOS did with Kluber should be used as a reference for removing Heaney from the rotation, though.

We many end up seeing a situation where JdG is used with restrictions (a cap of 4 or 5 IP, depending on pitch count) with Dunning slotted to close out those games exclusively. Not permanently, but for a few starts. Hypothetically speaking.
Yeah, that's why I prefaced it with, when deGrom gets stretched out.

The only reason I brought up what Boston was doing was to point out that it would not be unheard of to sign someone as a starter and then pivot and go another direction.

I do worry how many games we will lose between now and the deadline if we don't get some much better options for the 8th and 9th innings.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Power Rankings: Who's in the top 5 in our final May edition?

4. Texas Rangers

Record: 31-18

Previous ranking: 4

While the champion Astros are rolling, the Rangers are still hanging on at the top of the American League West. A weekend sweep of the Rockies helped, as Texas and Houston took top offensive honors for the last week (ending on Tuesday). Five players compiled an OPS over 1.000 during that time frame, led by Josh Jung, who produced a 1.447 mark. Corey Seager has also driven in 10 runs in seven games since he returned. Meanwhile, the starting staff has made up for the loss of Jacob deGrom, as Nathan Eovaldi, Martin Perez, Dane Dunning and Jon Gray all spun good outings. It might be late enough in the season to say the Rangers are for real. -- Jesse Rogers

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see where you mentioned that at all
I am not sure why and especially why you could not see it after I pointed it out that I said it.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first I thought they had to play today but being off gives W Smith an extra day and Duran too if he is banged up.
Maybe why is is not in LF and maybe effecting recent ABs

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the thought you can move a starter to relief in theory
But it is still apple to oranges- Heaney was much more sought after and was surely made promises which he took in good faith before agreeing to sign.
Plus the obvious Heaney is a good SP while Kluber has stunk the joint

Like mentioned earlier post season is a completely different animal and I am thinking Heaney works out of the pen then

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure why and especially why you could not see it after I pointed it out that I said it.

ah, missed it. well, still... I think JdG getting stretched out and dependable to the point where they can move Heaney to the bullpen is something they can't expect to happen. At least in the regular season.