• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers on the Road to Face Pirates May 22-24

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Halos will do all they can to get to postseason thinking they need this to avoid losing Shohei

BULLPEN FAILURE

Headed to a more competent location
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers record by Jersey:

Powder Blue - 4-0
City Connect - 3-1
Road Gray - 3-1
Blue - 9-7
Home White - 9-7

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having Dunning not being able to work in long relief has not cost us anything significantly over the last few weeks. Almost all of the games we have lost due to our pitching, has been in late innings situations. Heaney would be great at that.

Having Dunning in relief in the first 2 or 3 turns through the rotation was valuable. The guys are stretched out now so that is no longer a factor.
i see your point but then as usual happens thru out the season what happens when we don't have a starter go 4 or 5 innings? it is plausible that it doesn't happen but you build your bullpen to deal with possibilities and that requires having a good long reliever. right now we would have to burn 3 to 4 relievers to cover the last 4 or 5 innings and then what about tomorrow

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with anything you're saying (although I would add that a reason we haven't needed long relief is because JdG hasn't been pitching).

A logical case can be made for Dunning in the BP. Same with Heaney. I don't think that what BOS did with Kluber should be used as a reference for removing Heaney from the rotation, though.

We many end up seeing a situation where JdG is used with restrictions (a cap of 4 or 5 IP, depending on pitch count) with Dunning slotted to close out those games exclusively. Not permanently, but for a few starts. Hypothetically speaking.
once he returns it is an even money bet there will be a pitch or inning cap on him. the idea of having a quality reliever to step in then sounds very good to me, the question who would be that quality long reliever if not Dunning

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first I thought they had to play today but being off gives W Smith an extra day and Duran too if he is banged up.
Maybe why is is not in LF and maybe effecting recent ABs
i think the Duran thing will be longer maybe even thru the Orioles series.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old school and Peagle power rule

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Congratatuoms to Jamey Newberg for helping to keep Rangers fans informed about our minor leagues for a quarter of a century!

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the thought you can move a starter to relief in theory
But it is still apple to oranges- Heaney was much more sought after and was surely made promises which he took in good faith before agreeing to sign.
Plus the obvious Heaney is a good SP while Kluber has stunk the joint

Like mentioned earlier post season is a completely different animal and I am thinking Heaney works out of the pen then
I would be concerned with fixing the bullpen to the point where we can get to the postseason first. If that takes Heaney out of the rotation in 3 or 4 weeks then that is the price him and the team has to pay. If it takes making a trade or two within the next 3 to 4 weeks at an inflated price then that is the price the team has to pay. Something is going to have to give.

Smith and Eovaldi are going to be running on fumes if they have to keep taking it for the team to make up for part of the bullpen failures.

Something unusual/drastic needs to happen fairly soon.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Headed to a more competent location
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We all certainly agree that the Rangers are in a position to contend.

The past two offseasons have shown that CY does not shy away from big splashes. I'm willing to bet the Rangers are big players at the deadline. We may not like what they do, but my gut tells me to buckle up.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only pitcher expected to go in the first five picks of the draft.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all certainly agree that the Rangers are in a position to contend.

The past two offseasons have shown that CY does not shy away from big splashes. I'm willing to bet the Rangers are big players at the deadline. We may not like what they do, but my gut tells me to buckle up.
I am wondering if we can make it all the way to the deadline without kissing the division goodbye.

Between the 8 to 12 games that the bullpen will cost us between now and the deadline, and overusing some guys, I wonder where we will be in the standings at that point.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be concerned with fixing the bullpen to the point where we can get to the postseason first. If that takes Heaney out of the rotation in 3 or 4 weeks then that is the price him and the team has to pay. If it takes making a trade or two within the next 3 to 4 weeks at an inflated price then that is the price the team has to pay. Something is going to have to give.

Smith and Eovaldi are going to be running on fumes if they have to keep taking it for the team to make up for part of the bullpen failures.

Agreed

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am wondering if we can make it all the way to the deadline without kissing the division goodbye.

Between the 8 to 12 games that the bullpen will cost us between now and the deadline, and overusing some guys, I wonder where we will be in the standings at that point.
I think we have start within the next 10 days on the bullpen. The longer we do nothing the more likely we stand pat

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i see your point but then as usual happens thru out the season what happens when we don't have a starter go 4 or 5 innings? it is plausible that it doesn't happen but you build your bullpen to deal with possibilities and that requires having a good long reliever. right now we would have to burn 3 to 4 relievers to cover the last 4 or 5 innings and then what about tomorrow
What happened to using Burke in that role like last year? It seems he thrived in that role versus the shorter role they have him in this year.

Also, Ragans was supposed to be in that same role and I don't think he has pitched longer than 2 innings more than 2 or 3 times.

Ragans and Burke should be able to cover Dunning's old role, which is a much lesser role now any way.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owen White and Josh Stephan pitch tonight for Frisco and Hickory. Maybe Whote's velocity starts to move back up tonight.