• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Florio posts a Russell Wilson rumor that will terrify Seahawks fans

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle fans should be careful what they wish for. I'm not convinced that Wilson is all that elite. Would he be elite in Cinci? Atlanta? If that running game tails off and Wilson is forced to throw more, he might be badly exposed. Let him play out his deal and see what the market dictates. No need to pay him so much when the QB isn't even a primary focus for that team.
Sounds to me like you are saying Seattle should walk him.

Last edited:

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't argue with the TEAM results. But the QB is a bit of a 3rd fiddle in SEA behind the D and the running game. Wilson is very good at running the offense, but he's pretty limited overall as a passer. If you put him on the Jets or the Titans(for example) we aren't talking about a guy worthy of the biggest contract in the league.

Sorry but I would have to disagree completely with your view. I would say RW would add tremendously to any under performing offense.
Just like in Seattle in his rookie year, he took over running the teams offense and became starter. russell was the major factor in add 4 wins to a 7-9 Seahawk team. Essentially did the same with 2 major university's when he was in college. He has won, and won, and won.
Always.
He would completely transform an offense. He would improve the running game just by showing up. He would probably have a better OL than what he is used to in the NFL cuz Seattle's OL is their weakness...by a lot.
I bet he would have a better WR group than what he is used to. Seattle hasn't had a WR in the pro bowl since 1989. 1989!!!
The D on his new team would probably be not near as good as the Seahawks have. His team might be behind a lot. I suppose that would mean he would have to throw more, right chappee? You think his #'s improve as he throws more to possibly better WR's than he is used to.

I could go on and mention the benefits RW would add to a D, or the ST's.

In similar fashion when you say "If you put him on the Jets or the Titans(for example) we aren't talking about a guy worthy of the biggest contract in the league" I just just as well say RW would turn a Jets/ Titans/Vikings/Bills/Rams/Texans/Bears/Browns/ and more into consistent playoff teams whose franchises would give RW the farm for having saved the franchise.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lot at play here. If Wilson holds out for the highest paid contract and the Seahawks decide to wait, who's more at risk?

My guess is that RW runs the greater risk. Injury is number one. No one can predict what can possibly happen or how severe. Poor performance. That can be self imposed by trying too hard or having team mates who have an off year or try too hard to improve their own bargaining position. All of the pieces have to fall into place.

If he has another great year, who can and will pay him a mega contract. We all know that teams in a position to hand out mega contracts generally suck.

Can Wilson endure the pressure of playing in New York, Philadelphia or Chicago. Great players have folded like cheap paper playing the intensity of a big market. Wilson appears to have the mettle to do it, but he's never had that kind of media pressure.

From my seat, I think that the Seahawks will wait him out, make a top dollar offer and when the smoke clears, Wilson will be a Seahawk for the next 7 years.

Don't bet on Luck resigning with the Colts. Watch the New York Giants very closely. They're posturing to move on from Eli Manning and I think they'll blow the Colt's plans totally out of Indiana.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just checked. Still not terrified.

Any other 12s not currently gripped with cold sweet terror over the OPs post and not feeling terrified over the current state of the Seahawks?

Say Aye.

You guys really refer to yourselves as 12's?

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russ is playing the hand he was dealt, nothing wrong with dat

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh. Not worried. Despite some persons speculation he will be tagged if an agreement cannot be reached this season. We have a couple of years to work this out. Get back to me in 2017 with this conversation if necessary. Until then it is just non-news made into news by reporters desperate for something to write about in the off season.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think 22 mil a year is a lot for a franchise QB. Heck, there are idiot Lions fans that wanted to pay Suh more than that.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson will need to make a choice. See out this season getting paid 1.5 million and miss out on somewhere 15-20 million in earnings or sign a slightly less lucrative deal that will get him pad this year and get him to his next contract a year earlier.

This is all part of the negotiation process. Wilson's team is trying to get him a max deal this year which isn't going to happen. Why would the Seahawks do that? They are better served paying 1.5 million this year and then resigning him next year if he isn't going to take any sort of discount for pay increase this season.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh. Not worried. Despite some persons speculation he will be tagged if an agreement cannot be reached this season. We have a couple of years to work this out. Get back to me in 2017 with this conversation if necessary. Until then it is just non-news made into news by reporters desperate for something to write about in the off season.

Exactly. You get it.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but I would have to disagree completely with your view. I would say RW would add tremendously to any under performing offense.
Just like in Seattle in his rookie year, he took over running the teams offense and became starter. russell was the major factor in add 4 wins to a 7-9 Seahawk team. Essentially did the same with 2 major university's when he was in college. He has won, and won, and won.
Always.
He would completely transform an offense. He would improve the running game just by showing up. He would probably have a better OL than what he is used to in the NFL cuz Seattle's OL is their weakness...by a lot.
I bet he would have a better WR group than what he is used to. Seattle hasn't had a WR in the pro bowl since 1989. 1989!!!
The D on his new team would probably be not near as good as the Seahawks have. His team might be behind a lot. I suppose that would mean he would have to throw more, right chappee? You think his #'s improve as he throws more to possibly better WR's than he is used to.

I could go on and mention the benefits RW would add to a D, or the ST's.

In similar fashion when you say "If you put him on the Jets or the Titans(for example) we aren't talking about a guy worthy of the biggest contract in the league" I just just as well say RW would turn a Jets/ Titans/Vikings/Bills/Rams/Texans/Bears/Browns/ and more into consistent playoff teams whose franchises would give RW the farm for having saved the franchise.

I guess we can agree to disagree on this one. I like Wilson a lot. He brings a lot of good characteristics with him; but I just don't see a franchise QB worthy of the biggest contract in the league. I see a very effective game-manager who is on the right team.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just checked. Still not terrified.

Any other 12s not currently gripped with cold sweet terror over the OPs post and not feeling terrified over the current state of the Seahawks?

Say Aye.

I'm not really that concerned for two reasons:

1. I believe the Seahawks will get a deal done.
2. If they don't, they must have a plan in place to move on without Wilson. I believe that Wilson is in the lower range of the top 5-10 QBs in the NFL, but how much is that a product of the team he plays on? I think his athletic ability compensates for his terrible offensive line, but he has a lot of pressure taken off of him with the Seahawks run game and defense. If he played on another team, there is a good argument he would be a QB in that 10-15 range, which is not that hard to replace.

Wilson is replaceable. I would like to see the team move forward with him as the starter, he's a good fit for the Seahawks and I love him as a player - but the Seahawks are not a QB centric team, and there is a good argument to be made that the Seahawks shouldn't tie up the equivalent of 3 good players' salaries in a QB who doesn't play a huge part in the team's success.

That being said, I'd like to see him re-signed. I think it is the right move. But I don't think it is the end of the world if they don't re-sign him. But I really do believe he will be re-signed. I believe he wants to be here, he knows he is beginning a legacy here and it's the right decision for him to play the majority - if not his entire career here.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys really refer to yourselves as 12's?
Yes. It used to be the "12th man" that the media touted on EVERY Seattle home game.
That moniker is a media driven thing. Watch any Seattle home game is it is always mentioned numerous times throughout the broadcast.
In similar fashion to the Seahawks drafting acumen, we really don't care if you don't like it. It works for us.

Have you ever mentioned that Dallas is known as America's team? It really isn't any different than our fan base being known as 12's. It is perpetuated by the media...

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson will be a hawk long term. No reason to worry about that.

Both sides are taking risks.
If he gets injured without the big contract, he will lose money & leverage.
If he makes it to next year without injury he will cost a lot more than if he is signed this season.
In the era of QBs doesn't matter if they are considered elite or not. if a team is planning on any QB long term, their next contract is going to be bigger than the last guys. (unless you are Kaep)

However it shakes out. Wilson will be a hawk for years to come. Who blinks 1st should be the only question.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This basically comes down to whether or not he get paid like Cam Newton or he gets paid like Aaron Rodgers. Obviously Wilson probably feels like he is owned ARodgers money because Seattle has been paying him peanuts so far. Wilson is setting up for a classic underpay to overpay situation.

This will get done this year. I think if Seattle has to put the franchise tag on him, Wilson walks and Id imagine that both parties know that. Honestly I see his deal coming in just above Cam. I think the Seahawks have too much leverage.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This basically comes down to whether or not he get paid like Cam Newton or he gets paid like Aaron Rodgers. Obviously Wilson probably feels like he is owned ARodgers money because Seattle has been paying him peanuts so far. Wilson is setting up for a classic underpay to overpay situation.

This will get done this year. I think if Seattle has to put the franchise tag on him, Wilson walks and Id imagine that both parties know that. Honestly I see his deal coming in just above Cam. I think the Seahawks have too much leverage.
How does he walk if the Seahawks put the franchise tag on him? They can do that for the next few years.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is a douche, F Seattle.

Wait...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does he walk if the Seahawks put the franchise tag on him? They can do that for the next few years.
He walks when the tag is over. Id be kinda pissed I wasted 1/3-1/2 of my career on a really good team playing the most important position and not getting paid. Honestly if it got to that point, though, I could see the city of Seattle stepping up with endorsements and he'd stay anyways as long as the team infrastructure was still in place.

This whole idea is nuts, though. The Ravens locked up Flacco and Wilson is roughly on his level. Qbs get paid. Thats all there is to it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He walks when the tag is over. Id be kinda pissed I wasted 1/3-1/2 of my career on a really good team playing the most important position and not getting paid. Honestly if it got to that point, though, I could see the city of Seattle stepping up with endorsements and he'd stay anyways as long as the team infrastructure was still in place.

This whole idea is nuts, though. The Ravens locked up Flacco and Wilson is roughly on his level. Qbs get paid. Thats all there is to it.
Sooner or later a contract will be agreed on. However the Seahawks in theory could let him play out the 2015 season under his rookie contract, tag him for the 2016 season, tag him for the 2017 and maybe even tag him for the 2018 season. Don't think RW would want that to happen( nor the Seahawks) so it's just a matter of one side blinking first.