• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson: 'Great Potential' Next Contract Is Biggest in NFL History

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beyond what I already mentioned, there is also the fact that not all big money QB contracts are created equal. Aaron Rodgers getting paid huge money is very different than Joe Flacco getting paid huge money.

I agree, but interestingly enough - 2019 will be the first time that Rodgers makes more than 13.1% of the team's cap space. Tough to imagine - but Rodgers hasn't ever been the top paid QB in the league in any given season (against the cap). 2020 his cap number goes up to nearly 18%, and then 20% in 2022 (based on current cap numbers, not new CBA number estimates). So, if that stays the same, we'll get to see what happens with that.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but interestingly enough - 2019 will be the first time that Rodgers makes more than 13.1% of the team's cap space. Tough to imagine - but Rodgers hasn't ever been the top paid QB in the league in any given season (against the cap). 2020 his cap number goes up to nearly 18%, and then 20% in 2022 (based on current cap numbers, not new CBA number estimates). So, if that stays the same, we'll get to see what happens with that.
Other name QBs to follow shortly.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is surprising.

Ultimately teams just can't let Pro Bowl caliber QBs walk away. So resigning Rodgers or Brees or Brady is a no brainer. Luck and Wilson are pretty much no brainers.

But then you have guys like Stafford, Flacco, Cousins, and the other 2nd tier QBs that are better than league average but not elite. Teams get stuck in tough spots with these kinds of players because losing them almost guarantees a drop in performance but keeping them really limits their ability to bring in other players.