• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers need to trade the farm for Westbrook

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's NOT coming back to OKC.

Cough up Deangelo, Ingram, and a first rounder. Make it happen.
IMO, it would be a big mistake to "trade" for Westbrook this year. If I'm not mistaken Westbrook will be a free agent after this coming season. If he wants to come back home bad enough, he will sign as a free agent and the Lakers won't have to give up any good young talent.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why they can just sign him in free agency and give up noone

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why they can just sign him in free agency and give up noone

Exactly. As someone pointed out earlier, if Westbrook wants to be a Laker, he will sign with them next summer and will want the young core to be there if he does.

If he doesn't want to be a Laker, then it won't matter and they will be left without a couple of pieces from that young core and no Westbrook either.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. As someone pointed out earlier, if Westbrook wants to be a Laker, he will sign with them next summer and will want the young core to be there if he does.

If he doesn't want to be a Laker, then it won't matter and they will be left without a couple of pieces from that young core and no Westbrook either.

Agree, why trade there young guys for Westbrook? Makes no sense. I know it's only Summer League but watching Russell and Nance last night while the UFC pay per view was on was very entertaining. Peace.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But will Westbrook re-sign with Boston?
I don't think he wants to do anything until next year. And no way in hell I'd trade anything for him without an extension. The only team that should be thinking a Westbrook trade is a good idea right now is OKC.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can this be moved to fouled out? Seems like a bait thread.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly! If there is one franchise that would know about lying it would be OKC.

Scapegoat is correct in that Boston is the best trading partner, but they will not give up too much unless they are able to agree to an extension, which seems unlikely as I think that Westbrook wants to end up in LA. Big lights, hometown.

OKC would be best to wait until the trade deadline and constantly be on the phones until that point. It could backfire and they end up with low value as everyone knows that Westbrook wants to hit free agency.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OKC would be best to wait until the trade deadline and constantly be on the phones until that point. It could backfire and they end up with low value as everyone knows that Westbrook wants to hit free agency.

OKC is in a tough spot. They are basically in the same position the Lakers were when they traded Shaq. They have a superstar player that everyone knows wants out and because of that, they are unlikely to get anything close to equal value for him.

On the other hand, if they don't trade him, he walks away after the season and they are left with nothing in return.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OKC is in a tough spot. They are basically in the same position the Lakers were when they traded Shaq. They have a superstar player that everyone knows wants out and because of that, they are unlikely to get anything close to equal value for him.

On the other hand, if they don't trade him, he walks away after the season and they are left with nothing in return.

definitely a rock and a hard place. as I said earlier in this thread the onus is on OKC to get something for Westbrick, and you bringing up the point that EVERY team knows it is the kicker. gonna be interesting to see what the Thunder are gonna do to keep from walking away from this empty-handed...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
definitely a rock and a hard place. as I said earlier in this thread the onus is on OKC to get something for Westbrick, and you bringing up the point that EVERY team knows it is the kicker. gonna be interesting to see what the Thunder are gonna do to keep from walking away from this empty-handed...

The only way that I see OKC getting anything of value in a trade would be if Westbrook changed his mind and decided to sign an extension. I don't see him doing that because, if I understand his status correctly, it will cost him a lot of money. The only other way would be if the team received some kind of assurance that Westbrook will re-sign with them.

The other problem for OKC is that in order for them to get anything close to equal value, the team that he's being traded to would have to give up so many assets that it would be like when Carmelo was traded to the Knicks. He'd get to his new team, only to find that most of team he thought he was joining is gone.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way that I see OKC getting anything of value in a trade would be if Westbrook changed his mind and decided to sign an extension. I don't see him doing that because, if I understand his status correctly, it will cost him a lot of money. The only other way would be if the team received some kind of assurance that Westbrook will re-sign with them.

The other problem for OKC is that in order for them to get anything close to equal value, the team that he's being traded to would have to give up so many assets that it would be like when Carmelo was traded to the Knicks. He'd get to his new team, only to find that most of team he thought he was joining is gone.

Yep.

OKC's beat course of action might be to play out the season and hope to resign Russ. Who knows, he might stay.

The only way they should move him is if they get a team like the Celtics or Lakers to overpay.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If OKC loses Durant, harden and now westbrook for nothing they should just move back to seattle...

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure OKC is going to trade him, he'll never see free agency.

Giving up a first round pick, Deangelo Russell and maybe Ingram is not a steep price to pay for arguably the best guard in the league to build around.

Not sure I see what you do with youth.....if it's not productive. Ask Philly how that works.

All I'm saying is.....if you have the chance to land Westbrook, make it happen. You don't have better options in house, and most likely never will.

Just because OKC trades him doesn't mean he won't see free agency. Not unless he agree's to a deal in place once being traded. It's pretty retarded to give up the farm for a player who's a free agent next year when you have a legitimate chance to land him in the following offseason without having to give up any assets.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

OKC's beat course of action might be to play out the season and hope to resign Russ. Who knows, he might stay.

The only way they should move him is if they get a team like the Celtics or Lakers to overpay.

Westbrook's a max player. In this case, there really is no way you can overpay him as he'll have his limit on how much he can get paid.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook's a max player. In this case, there really is no way you can overpay him as he'll have his limit on how much he can get paid.

Overpay as far as the assets the team would have to give up to trade for him. Not talking about money.

Even if Westbrook agrees to a long term extension prior to a trade, Boston is probably the only team who could give up enough assets and still have a contender quality core around Russ.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overpay as far as the assets the team would have to give up to trade for him. Not talking about money.

Even if Westbrook agrees to a long term extension prior to a trade, Boston is probably the only team who could give up enough assets and still have a contender quality core around Russ.

Ok, I misunderstood. But yeah, I agree with this.