• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers need to trade the farm for Westbrook

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is also an owner. He needs to be thinking long term as well. As such, I doubt he mortgages the future for winning more games in the short term.
Besides that - even if he gave up his current position, we both know that he is still going to be on the board of directors and working closely with Jeannie Buss on major decisions. It would be in the best interest of all owners to show a united front and discuss major decisions. Even the late Dr Jerry Buss did that, so I would expect nothing less from the kids

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That rumor is worthless. Those 2 first rounders would be in 2021 and 2023 lol. Lakers will NOT trade anything of value for Westbrook. He's a free agent next summer. If he wants to be in LA, he can come then to a much better roster than your trade rumor.

Completely agree. If RW wants to go to the Lakers next year he is going to want the team to have all those resources. If he doesn't want to go the Lakers then it doesn't matter what the Lakers do.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows, by this time next year D. Russell/Ingram could start looking eerily similar Durant/Westbrook.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows, by this time next year D. Russell/Ingram could start looking eerily similar Durant/Westbrook.

I think Clarkson's style is closer to Westbrook's than Russell's. Different talent levels of course.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Clarkson's style is closer to Westbrook's than Russell's. Different talent levels of course.
Either way I think the Lakers have come to far to ignorantly trade what they got for one really good player. I would wait until next year and see what's available in free agency and develop what we have.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way I think the Lakers have come to far to ignorantly trade what they got for one really good player. I would wait until next year and see what's available in free agency and develop what we have.

Completely agree. If Westbrook comes via free agency, THEN you can look to trade Russell for a more complimentary piece.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the Lakers trade away their young core for a guy they could just offer a contract to next summer to join that core?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook will sign in LA. That's most likely WHERE he wants to be.

Of course there are better teams for him from a basketball perspective. But if you're the Lakers you have to look into it. IF you really don't think RW will attract other talent I'm not sure I can agree with that.

I'm not saying make the trade today. I'm saying you should have the phone lines working and know what OKC plans to do because when they decide to move him, it will be fast. They clearly aren't going to get market value. But I don't see a loss for LA in losing Russell and Ingram.

I guess you guys value unproven talent much more than I do.

To be fair, when's the last time the Mavs had a good draft pick? Jordan Clarkson is better than anything the Mavs have drafted in years and he was a 2nd rounder. Cuban tries to go all out for Dirk and Dirk takes less but still the Mavs strike out so much in FA that Chandler fucking Parsons was cause for huge celebration. The Lakers handcuffed the rebuild a bit by paying Kobe but the Mavs have just plain failed.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grading the Lakers' free agency moves

Mozgov?????? Holy cow! Waaay too much.

You know I've been trying to think of ways to make sense of the Mozgov deal since it happened and I just haven't been able to. Guys like Deng and Mozgov are the type of roleplayers the Lakers have needed to round out their team for a while. My only guess is that they are filling out the team with roleplayers that compliment the guys that are here to stay and try to develop Clarkson, Russell, Randle and Ingram.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I've been trying to think of ways to make sense of the Mozgov deal since it happened and I just haven't been able to. Guys like Deng and Mozgov are the type of roleplayers the Lakers have needed to round out their team for a while. My only guess is that they are filling out the team with roleplayers that compliment the guys that are here to stay and try to develop Clarkson, Russell, Randle and Ingram.

That's kind of where I ended up at. That they aren't looking to fill in the roster with stars, but rather groom their own young players as those and are getting the role players to put around them instead. Which I may not agree with being the best choice, but would make sense if that's how they view their guys.

As for waiting for FA vs. trading for Westbrook... He may not choose there in FA. He may choose somewhere with a better established roster for a few years. He may choose the Clippers if they made moves for a better roster to fit him. He may want out so badly next year that he's willing to sign an extension for a trade to a team that isn't the Lakers.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for waiting for FA vs. trading for Westbrook... He may not choose there in FA. He may choose somewhere with a better established roster for a few years. He may choose the Clippers if they made moves for a better roster to fit him. He may want out so badly next year that he's willing to sign an extension for a trade to a team that isn't the Lakers.

If he feels that way, he could still leave next summer even if the Lakers trade for him. Then the Lakers would be left with no star player, maybe 1 young star left (rest traded for Westbrook), and no first rounders for 2 of the next 3 years (Nash, Dwight trades).

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, when's the last time the Mavs had a good draft pick? Jordan Clarkson is better than anything the Mavs have drafted in years and he was a 2nd rounder. Cuban tries to go all out for Dirk and Dirk takes less but still the Mavs strike out so much in FA that Chandler fucking Parsons was cause for huge celebration. The Lakers handcuffed the rebuild a bit by paying Kobe but the Mavs have just plain failed.
The problem for me is that I don't want to be fair to the Mavericks. I just want them to continue losing and getting screwed at the Lakers expense. I like it that way and would prefer to see the Clippers in that same boat.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he feels that way, he could still leave next summer even if the Lakers trade for him. Then the Lakers would be left with no star player, maybe 1 young star left (rest traded for Westbrook), and no first rounders for 2 of the next 3 years (Nash, Dwight trades).

Well I think you have to weigh that... Can being there convince him that's where he wants to be if he's on the edge (there's a newly single Kardashian for a Laker FA out there now).

It's a good point there too of the cost. It just seems that if he is by far your target, that would eliminate some issues that may show up if you wait for him in FA.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OKC will not let Westbrook walk. Either he resigns or gets traded. kd lied to OKC and knew all season he was going to gsw. OKC won't let that happen again. Also Westbrook has stated that he wants to stay in OKC.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston is the ideal trading partner if the Thunder do move Westbrook.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OKC will not let Westbrook walk. Either he resigns or gets traded. kd lied to OKC and knew all season he was going to gsw. OKC won't let that happen again. Also Westbrook has stated that he wants to stay in OKC.

:violin:

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,218.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Both have been impressive in summer league so far......yes, I know summer league isn't the end all be all......but if they were struggling, people would be ripping them.