• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers need to trade the farm for Westbrook

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree completely. It doesn't make any sense to do that.
If Westbrook agrees to meet or speak to the Lakers and is open to signing a contract extension for a minimum of one year. Then the Lakers have top five player to build around. Put Randle and Clarkson into that mix and the Lakers have a shot at getting big names next year. It's too late this year - all of the names needed are gone. But I like what the Lakers have done and I'm willing to wait it out another year or two. The Thunder needs to wait til January and see what happens any way - it's too early to do a panic trade without talking to Westbrook first

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the hell would they do that? Lakers have a young nucleus.... Westbrook coming to the Lakers while they give up all their talent isn't going to accomplish anything, considering the Lakers even with Westbrook aren't going to take the West.

Better to let the young guys have a go at it. Ingram should be good and Russell needs a season of starting. He looked pretty decent for a rookie on a terrible ball hog Bryant led team.

Also, if that giant fucker from Croatia (I think it's there) comes over and actually stays healthy, they could have a decent post center and interior defender.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From everything we hear in the east, Westbrook is an LA guy and would like to eventually play there.

The Celtics would really like to get him but price is extreme and without an extension, Ainge will not give OKC Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, three of the kids they drafted in the second round this year and the two first round picks that Boston owns in 2017 and 2018 from the Nets. Personally, I wouldn't give that up even if he did sign a 4 year extension.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From everything we hear in the east, Westbrook is an LA guy and would like to eventually play there.

The Celtics would really like to get him but price is extreme and without an extension, Ainge will not give OKC Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, three of the kids they drafted in the second round this year and the two first round picks that Boston owns in 2017 and 2018 from the Nets. Personally, I wouldn't give that up even if he did sign a 4 year extension.
I would love to see Westbrook come to Los Angeles, but the Lakers let the team get to low to the bottom. Had they won 30 or more, they would have had a shot at some big names which are all gone already. Trading for the guy means giving up three years of players that's going to be the next generation of the Lakers and we would be giving it up for players who are old enough to be in or slightly past their prime with no time to spare in the rebuilding process. I think waiting is the only smart thing for the Lakers. Next year is going to be tough as well because either side can opt out and trigger a lock out and a drawn out battle

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's NOT coming back to OKC.

Cough up Deangelo, Ingram, and a first rounder. Make it happen.

I'd give up DeAngelo. Randle and a first rounder. Not Ingram. I'd also only do it if he signed an extension. Since that seems unlikely, no point in trading for him.

Last edited:

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okc will get in panic mode at trade deadline

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give up DeAngelo. Randle and a first rounder. Not Ingram. I'd also only do it if he signed an extension. Since that seems unlikely, no point in trading for him.
With Wade you have a legitimate shooting guard, but you need Russell - and Randle. To be honest if this trade had happened sooner, the Lakers might have had a better shot to rebuild, but it's a little late now. I say wait til next year because our rookies values will only go up

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Wade you have a legitimate shooting guard, but you need Russell - and Randle. To be honest if this trade had happened sooner, the Lakers might have had a better shot to rebuild, but it's a little late now. I say wait til next year because our rookies values will only go up

Not necessarily. I think Ingram will be a great pro. Still not completely sold on Russell.

As for values going up, that is not true. Ingram has a ton of value today. If he does not play as well as expected, his value goes down, not up. Same with Russell. He is extremely talented, but had some issues in year 1. More off court issues or lack of progress on the court could hurt his future value.

I am not saying their values won't go up, just that they are not guaranteed to go up.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slightly off topic -- but still Lakers related:

LOS ANGELES -- It looks like Los Angeles Lakers guard Nick Young hasn't learned much about fireworks safety from New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul.

TMZ Sports has posted a Snapchat video of Young holding up a firework in his hand as it explodes. TMZ says the video was taken at a Fourth of July party, and Young wasn't injured.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if the OP is trolling or just doesn't get how things work

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slightly off topic -- but still Lakers related:

LOS ANGELES -- It looks like Los Angeles Lakers guard Nick Young hasn't learned much about fireworks safety from New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul.

TMZ Sports has posted a Snapchat video of Young holding up a firework in his hand as it explodes. TMZ says the video was taken at a Fourth of July party, and Young wasn't injured.

:crazy: Fruit loop

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors here in the east are that it will cost the Lakers, Russell, Ingram and two first round picks to get Westbrook this year.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors here in the east are that it will cost the Lakers, Russell, Ingram and two first round picks to get Westbrook this year.

That price has to come down, because only a complete moron would pay that price.

Then again, Jimmy Buss might be incentivized to make a move like this, since his standing with the franchise depends on short term success. RW would help the Lakers win more games today, but a Move like this could set the franchise back to Sixer land if he did not resign.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem today..................'Everybody wants to be a Hero!!'

Give up the ship, screw the crew.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No team is going to trade for him unless it's guaranteed he'll re sign

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off. The Lakers don't have a 1st round pick to trade next year, unless they get a top 3 pick. So you are suggesting that they give up this year's #2 pick, most likely their first round pick in 2018 and Russell? And you think RW is going to want to play for that team?

Catch-22 for the Lakers. They would need to give up too much to get Westbrook.

Lakers can't trade a 1st rounder until 2021. 2017 will be Philly's (Nash trade), 2019 will be Orlando's (Dwight trade). Can't trade 2018 or 2020 unless after they officially make the pick (Stepien rule).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That rumor is worthless. Those 2 first rounders would be in 2021 and 2023 lol. Lakers will NOT trade anything of value for Westbrook. He's a free agent next summer. If he wants to be in LA, he can come then to a much better roster than your trade rumor.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That price has to come down, because only a complete moron would pay that price.

Then again, Jimmy Buss might be incentivized to make a move like this, since his standing with the franchise depends on short term success. RW would help the Lakers win more games today, but a Move like this could set the franchise back to Sixer land if he did not resign.

He is also an owner. He needs to be thinking long term as well. As such, I doubt he mortgages the future for winning more games in the short term.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is also an owner. He needs to be thinking long term as well. As such, I doubt he mortgages the future for winning more games in the short term.

The Lakers' org (including the Buss') have said that Jimmy has until next summer to get the Lakers "deep into the playoffs" -- or he will no longer run the player side of the org.

... from last year: (Jeanie clarified sometime that the 3 years runs through next season)

Last April, Lakers Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations Jim Buss told The Times he would step down if the franchise isn't contending within three years.

On Tuesday night, Lakers President and Governor Jeanie Buss said she'll hold him to that.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers' org (including the Buss') have said that Jimmy has until next summer to get the Lakers "deep into the playoffs" -- or he will no longer run the player side of the org.

... from last year: (Jeanie clarified sometime that the 3 years runs through next season)

Last April, Lakers Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations Jim Buss told The Times he would step down if the franchise isn't contending within three years.

On Tuesday night, Lakers President and Governor Jeanie Buss said she'll hold him to that.

No shit. He wouldn't be losing his ownership percentage though (11%). So, short term yes regarding his position as EVP. However, he is also an owner, so I'm sure he does look long term as well which is why I don't think he would trade the farm for someone they can sign next summer.