• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Willing to trade for Ohtani?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Japanese community in the BA is very large, could be wrong.
I haven’t lived in the BA since the early ‘90s, but that was my sense. There is a very large Chinese population, though, and China and Japan don’t get along very well.

This may have nothing to do with nothing. I have no idea. That’s why I asked the question. :)

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard The Dodgers and Ohtani deferred $680mil to the end of the contract. He’ll be playing for $2mil a year until then.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard The Dodgers and Ohtani deferred $680mil to the end of the contract. He’ll be playing for $2mil a year until then.
Well, $2M from the doggies. He will be making $100M per year from endorsements.

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t remember the specifics, but I remember the Angels playing fast with their contract terms when they signed Poo Holes way back when. I am not convinced this will make it past the league offices.

Then again, the league offices are sackless yes men for the power-teams, so maybe it will breeze through.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t remember the specifics, but I remember the Angels playing fast with their contract terms when they signed Poo Holes way back when. I am not convinced this will make it past the league offices.

Then again, the league offices are sackless yes men for the power-teams, so maybe it will breeze through.

It is completely within the rules, according to Jeff Passan. I get it, though. It seems wrong.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn’t answer the tax issue, though. Again, I always thought the total contract was divided equally over the life of the contract for tax purposes. So they should still take a 70M hit towards the tax levels for ‘24-‘33.

Am I wrong about that?

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

According to this from The Athletic, aside from the deferred income, estimates are that Ohtani makes about $50 million per year in endorsements. I also read that the Dodgers think they will recoup this investment within a few years from increased ticket revenues, TV revenues, and merch sales.

I have always wondered about this in other sports (Warriors?). Why does Curry need to be paid $50 million per season when his endorsement income may be close to that anyway? Especially when it impacts the team's ability to afford other high caliber players?

I believe it was one of the Pirate players back in the 80's (Bonilla) who signed with the Mutts and was given a contract that paid him $1 million a year for 25 years, and a few years ago was the last payment made to him.

This thing with Ohtani sure seems like skirting the rules, if not in specifics then in spirit. But hey, they were creative. And our Neanderthal front office cannot even find the freaking box to think outside of.

I get SO's decision though. After all the years in the Siberia that is the Angels, he wanted to win now. And there is no team better equipped to do that than the Dogs. Alas, the Giants are not in that category.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per KNBR today (and take it with a grain or shaker of salt), only the non-deferred portion counts against the salary cap / luxury tax. If that's the case the Dogs supermarket sweep is still on.

Giants better get going and do something to secure some top flight pitchers and shore up the defense or the foreseeable future will have us looking up the Dogs heinys

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per KNBR today (and take it with a grain or shaker of salt), only the non-deferred portion counts against the salary cap / luxury tax. If that's the case the Dogs supermarket sweep is still on.

Giants better get going and do something to secure some top flight pitchers and shore up the defense or the foreseeable future will have us looking up the Dogs heinys
According to this article, $46 million will count against the luxury tax.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically it is us against the dodgers again for Yamamoto, and the bums having all the advantages. This is bad for baseball. Really bad

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if I agree completely with this article but an interesting take on the deferred money nonetheless.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if I agree completely with this article but an interesting take on the deferred money nonetheless.

Hard to understand how all this actually works, but at a minimum the Dodgers have a pile of real cash to spend if the are willing to go into the luxury tax zone

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to understand how all this actually works, but at a minimum the Dodgers have a pile of real cash to spend if the are willing to go into the luxury tax zone
It is a weird, convoluted mess but the bottom line, as I understand it, is that the Dodgers still have a boatload of cash to spend this offseason and intend to spend it.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a weird, convoluted mess but the bottom line, as I understand it, is that the Dodgers still have a boatload of cash to spend this offseason and intend to spend it.
And this is what makes me think that Ohtani had come to a decision very early in the recruitment process. To put something of this magnitude and complexity together doesn't happen overnight. The Dodgers woild have to have ample time to actually pull the pieces together and Othani would need time to review it. Not sure how something like this could be done in a week