• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Willing to trade for Ohtani?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's looking more like the Angels will have to deal him. I know he's a rental but he literally solves every problem if they want to make noise in the playoffs. And maybe it helps sell him on signing here.

You'd have to give up like 5 guys, good ones, Matos and Ramos and Bart and a couple arms like Winn and probably Harrison. I think I know how most of you feel about that, but it's worth considering

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's looking more like the Angels will have to deal him. I know he's a rental but he literally solves every problem if they want to make noise in the playoffs. And maybe it helps sell him on signing here.

You'd have to give up like 5 guys, good ones, Matos and Ramos and Bart and a couple arms like Winn and probably Harrison. I think I know how most of you feel about that, but it's worth considering
Harrison is injured and Bart carries baggage. Not sure that trade would work right now. Additionally, every other contender is going to be at least talking with the Angels if they put Ohtani on the market, including the Dodgers. Not sure we could outbid them on the trade market.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harrison is injured and Bart carries baggage. Not sure that trade would work right now. Additionally, every other contender is going to be at least talking with the Angels if they put Ohtani on the market, including the Dodgers. Not sure we could outbid them on the trade market.
For a trade unless he's badly injured Harrison has plenty of value. Bart does too to other teams we just don't need him anymore. My question was if we could get him by trading 5 big time prospects would you do it? Maybe they'd be outbid maybe not...are those guys legit or not?

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ohtani will be a Dodger next season.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a trade unless he's badly injured Harrison has plenty of value. Bart does too to other teams we just don't need him anymore. My question was if we could get him by trading 5 big time prospects would you do it? Maybe they'd be outbid maybe not...are those guys legit or not?
Not worth it if he is a two month rental. Maybe worth it if he is willing to sign an extension while coming over.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wait. You’re supposed to argue and tell me I’m wrong. Did you lose the script?

And while I actually have no idea about it and am just spouting off, the Dodgers did clean up a lot of salary this season for what certainly seems like some big splashes next season.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Angels are a cautionary tale that you cannot just get Ohtani and become postseason heavyweights. They've had both Trout and Ohtani on the same team, and have thrown money at other big league free agents and still not sniffed the playoffs in his entire time with the team. I know that Ohtani produces monster numbers and would be a huge boon to ticket sales but I'm not sure he would be worth pursuing on the trade market, especially if he's gone after October.

And I think this article is pretty accurate on why Ohtani WON'T be trade by August 1st.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not worth it if he is a two month rental. Maybe worth it if he is willing to sign an extension while coming over.
Obviously he's not signing anything until the season is over. But we have a chance to sell him on the team and the culture and so on, and if we step up with the money maybe he chooses us. Like everything else it's a gamble, just like signing Judge would have been. Sometimes you gotta gamble to succeed although sure I'd do the trade.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait. You’re supposed to argue and tell me I’m wrong. Did you lose the script?

And while I actually have no idea about it and am just spouting off, the Dodgers did clean up a lot of salary this season for what certainly seems like some big splashes next season.
That's exactly what they did, they didn't do much this off-season and it shows in their standings this year. They punted a bit to go after Ohtani. There's only around 5-6 teams that have any ability to write that check and the Dodgers seem pretty clearly the likeliest

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Angels are a cautionary tale that you cannot just get Ohtani and become postseason heavyweights. They've had both Trout and Ohtani on the same team, and have thrown money at other big league free agents and still not sniffed the playoffs in his entire time with the team. I know that Ohtani produces monster numbers and would be a huge boon to ticket sales but I'm not sure he would be worth pursuing on the trade market, especially if he's gone after October.

And I think this article is pretty accurate on why Ohtani WON'T be trade by August 1st.

Sure it's no guarantee he will be traded but if they keep free falling they might have to

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he nay sign with the yankees over the dodgers.
He had a chance to sign with the Yankees initially and passed. At the time, he said he wanted to be on the West Coast and the Angels and Padres were the only 2 teams that were really in the mix.

Also, I don’t think the Yankees can sign another guy for $50m/year after giving Judge $40m long-term. Cole makes $36m/year for several more years. Stanton makes around $30m/year for another 5 years. Even LeMahieu makes $15m for the next 3 years. I’m not sure Ohtani is in the budget.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly what they did, they didn't do much this off-season and it shows in their standings this year. They punted a bit to go after Ohtani. There's only around 5-6 teams that have any ability to write that check and the Dodgers seem pretty clearly the likeliest

I like this years Dodgers team but they have the feel of being in a rebuild. Outman, Rohas, and Vargas are pretty much every day solid players now that account for practically zero salary. The pitching is a bit of a mess.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this years Dodgers team but they have the feel of being in a rebuild. Outman, Rohas, and Vargas are pretty much every day solid players now that account for practically zero salary. The pitching is a bit of a mess.
Yes they are good and obviously a playoff team but clearly not dominant like recent past. And yeah it's mostly a pitching problem, their bullpen is bad

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a chance to sign with the Yankees initially and passed. At the time, he said he wanted to be on the West Coast and the Angels and Padres were the only 2 teams that were really in the mix.

Also, I don’t think the Yankees can sign another guy for $50m/year after giving Judge $40m long-term. Cole makes $36m/year for several more years. Stanton makes around $30m/year for another 5 years. Even LeMahieu makes $15m for the next 3 years. I’m not sure Ohtani is in the budget.
Judge -- 40
Cole -- 36
Stanton -- 32
Rodon -- 23
Donaldson --21 (16M club option 24)
Rizzo -- 17
LeMahieu -- 15
Severino -- 15 (club option 24)
-----------------
$199M for 8 players.

Now you're going to add $50M for Ohtani??

Can't see it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doyers next year:

Freeman 25
Betts 25
Taylor 13

...and that's kinda it. Heyward, Kershaw, Urias, Muncy, Thor, Martinez are all FA

Buehler will get a raise from 8, Will Smith a raise from 5

They're getting Ohtani.